Happy 10th Anniversary TLO!

Started by Andzzy, July 12, 2020, 12:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andzzy

Hello TLO! Today marks the 10th anniversary of The Last Outpost. If you had asked a decade ago whether or not the group would still be around in 10 years, I'm very confident that the original founding members would have said only that they hope so. Throughout our 10-year history, we've encountered a number of ups and downs. RPG-X has been the source of imagination for an incredibly long time. I know that for many of us, the software which would seem simple today carried us through our teenage years. So many stories have been told through RPG-X and so many characters have developed. A lot of these characters have not just been conduits for roleplaying. A lot of these characters have been extensions of ourselves. I already know that this message is going to be very long but I will try to keep it as brief as possible.

I remember my first day at TLO. The group that I had been with previously had dissolved several years proir and I was still crushed. I was 14 and I genuinely didn't know how I was going to spend my Summers. I was always on the server RPing to the point where my mother would be frustrated and say that we should stop being on the server and go outside. One day when I was 17, just for fun, I decided to hop back on to that old game which brought me so much joy for over a year. I saw that there was a server that had almost a dozen people on it and I was shocked. I jumped in and immediately started to play a character. That was Ulysses. Somebody dropped the link to the TLO website and I've been here ever since. TLO is more than just another place on the Internet for me. I've watched this place change so many times, I've watched faces come and go. To me, TLO is truly a community and it's one that I hope to be a part of for many years to come.

There are several people without whom TLO would not have made it this long. First, I would like to thank the founders (not the Dominion ones) for actually founding this place. Born from the strife of other groups, The Last Outpost remains a group where anyone is welcome and free to join and participate. I'd also like to thank Jenson, the very first President of The Last Outpost. His bounding enthusiasm and seemingly unending patience has allowed the group to grow and thrive over the last 10 years. On top of Jenson I'd like to recognize Veritas and Klaw as well for their roles in co-founding TLO as well as their extensive leadership participation which has left unmistakable marks across the entire group. Additionally I'd like to extend a thank you to everyone who has served in a leadership role at TLO, helping to shape it into a group that has endured and will hopefully continue to do so.

Together we have laughed and cried, we have been through so much in the stories that we have participated in. We've built monumental things in Minecraft and we've shared in the experiences brought by Star Trek Online. We've played all of the Star Trek games old and new and in general we've just had a good time together. Activity may be relatively low right now but I'm familiar with this community and I've seen the spark over the last few days that reminds me of the reason I joined in the first place. TLO is a special place and I know that we will continue to share in these experiences for as long as it is around.

Finally, I'd like to thank the members. Without the members on this site we would have died a long time ago. Everyone has worked together to shape the memories that I hold so fondly and I definitely want to see even more memories being crafted and created in the days, weeks, and months ahead. As the weekend starts to draw to a close, we still have the RPG-X event on going. Anyone is welcome to use the servers to role-play at any time and I can't wait to see what comes next! Additionally, we have an event scheduled in Sins of a Solar Empire this afternoon which I invite everyone to check out. On top of all of this, we have just released the updated Holomatch client at holomat.ch so please be sure to check that out (a very special thank you to Serris for his big Marketing push to get this out the door and into the hands of everyone).

It has been an absolute pleasure to serve as the President during the last year and a half and I'm very excited to see where we take things in the future. Today marks 10 years of TLO and hopefully it also marks the start of 10 years to come!

- Andzzy