The Mighty FAQ: Read This First!

Started by Veritas, July 10, 2010, 03:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veritas

[align=center:2w1jmxup]The Last Outpost FAQ – A Guide to Life, the Universe, and Everything[/align:2w1jmxup]
[align=center:2w1jmxup]Brought to you by Veritas, Jenson, and Molten Boron - Nobody Doesn't Like Molten Boron![/align:2w1jmxup]

So you want to be a member. Or you are a member, but you don't know what to do, where to go, how to help contribute. This guide is here to clarify all our rules and guidelines, and answer a lot of questions that come up frequently.

This guide is not required reading, but we recommend it strongly. We can and will refer back to it when dealing with discipline issues, just as we refer to the Code of Conduct (which can be found here. If you have other questions you'd like to ask, we're open to hearing them; just post in this forum and our dedicated team of child laborers will do their best to answer you!

Table of Contents:

Membership Questions
Policy Questions
Getting Help
Donation Questions
Miscellaneous Questions
Membership Questions

What games do you support?
Right now, we support RPG-X and Star Trek: Online. RPG-X is a modification to Star Trek: Elite Force that adapts the game for roleplaying. We operate an RPG-X server using the latest version of the free modification for Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force and the Quake 3 engine.

Star Trek: Online is an exciting Trek-based MMO that you can learn more about here.

To learn more about RPG-X, roleplay, and TLO as a group, please visit our homepage, which has links to the relevant guides.

Why don't you support other games?
The Last Outpost was founded as a sane and open RPG-X group, and not with other games in mind. Our expansion into Star Trek Online began when we merged with ST-O-RP, another RPG-X group. As part of that merger, we decided to forge ahead together to bring roleplaying and community to a whole new area of gaming.

So what is it you're here to do?
We're here to create a relaxed, enjoyable environment for Trek roleplay and discussion. We offer the benefits of our server and forums to anyone who wants to use them, not just members, though members can create events and serial roleplays, and contribute to the community in other ways. All in all, we're just here to have a good time, and to help you do the same in whatever way we can.

This also means we have a very no-nonsense attitude towards rules and policies, as you can see in this guide. We're here to have fun as well, so don't let the formality fool you - but do be respectful in our house so we can bring you the high quality, enjoyable environment we strive to create.

What are your rules and requirements?
We have a detailed Code of Conduct which you can access here. All of these rules, as well as the guidelines found in this FAQ, are binding at all times. We expect both members and guests to follow the rules; you don't get a free pass for being one or the other. Violating the rules will result in disciplinary action from IA.

Can I be a member if I'm in other clans/groups?
Yes, we do not have any multiclanning rules; however, your current clan/group may have one. Be sure to check your current clan/group's CoC so you can be sure you won't get into trouble with them for joining us. We are not a clan and do not form alliances; we're just here to have fun and encourage you to as well.

If I join, will I be given a rank and a position?
Ranks at TLO are given based on how long an individual has been an active member of the Community, though special exceptions may be given for exceptional contributions in-game or to the community a large. However, rank and title mean very little in terms of the group's overall structure, and are used mostly for convenience and in order to establish a hierarchy for dealing with problems and suggestions.

Some ranks, are only available to staff members who have certain positions. You can read more about our rank system [http://www.last-outpost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3819.0.html]here[/url].

Why haven't I been promoted? I've tried my best!
Rank advancement up to Officer is given out based on your activity in game and on the forums, participation and regular attendance in SRPs and group events, and for making valuable contributions to the RPs you participate in. Ranks such as Senior Officer and Captain are reserved for mentors in the community, or those who have contributed a great deal of their time and talent. Don't ask us to give you a rank upgrade, we will never give you a promotion when you ask, and it will likely be counted against you next time we're considering promotions. Promotions are a recognition of time served in TLO or special accomplishment, they are not something that members are simply "entitled to."

How do you settle disputes and issues?
The Internal Affairs department can assist in the resolution of any disputes. In-game, Server Admins will assist in any disputes.

Why was my application declined?
We very rarely deny membership applications as most people automatically become members while joining. However, if your application was denied by the IA head, you can apply again after one month. If your application is denied a second time, you need to speak with the IA head to find out why. Find out what you need to do, and make sure it's done before applying a third time. 

I don't agree with one/some/all of your policies. Can I still join?
If you join, you are bound by all our rules and policies—no exceptions. If this is a problem, we suggest you remain a non-member. If you have questions, you are welcome to contact the IA head.

What is VIP status, and how can I get it?
VIPs are important non-members, esteemed members of other groups, roleplayers who can't join for clan reasons but would still like to participate, and (we can hope!) RPG-X developers. VIP status grants these specific people access to most of the forums, and the right to participate in senior SRP positions even if they are not members. VIP status isn't applied for, it's earned.

I'd love to join you, but I don't have Star Trek Elite Force and it's no longer sold by Raven. Is there any way I can find a copy?
Yes! The Last Outpost offers an all-in-one RPG-X install program available exclusively to its members. This download includes everything you need to run RPG-X: the Elite Force multiplayer components that are required, the latest RPG-X version, the most commonly used maps, The Last Outpost server rankset, and the rpgxEF game executable. The RPGXUE executable can be downloaded from here. If you have any questions or require additional support, feel free to post in the Engineering forum.

Is RPGXUE legal?
Yes! RPGXUE is released with limited permission from Raven Software (the original developer) and CBS Entertainment (holder of the Star Trek trademark). Star Trek and all related properties are registered trademarks of CBS. RPGXUE is legal so long as it is not sold or distributed for profit in any way. If you wish to know more, please contact us.

Can I still get a full copy of Elite Force?
Used copies of Elite Force can be easily purchased from Amazon or Ebay, though new copies (for the most part) no longer exist. We highly recommend Elite Force on its own - but please remember that what you're getting with RPGXUE is not a full (or even most of the) Elite Force game.

What are events and how can I submit an idea for a new event?
Events on the server can range from a onetime themed RP, a small episodic miniseries, to a group-related awards or "meet the staff" event. If you'd like to participate in an event, keep an eye on the events forum. If you have an event idea that you would like to submit, contact the appropriate game's division CO!

How do I use the files database?
To access our server files database, which contains maps, models, and music we use on our RPG-X server, just click the downloads link at the top of any forum page. Most of the database is open to the general public.Some files are available as .zips or .rars (which may require WinRAR to extract, and some are .pk3s, which can be placed directly into your game directory. With the release of RPGXUE, downloads are rarely required anymore to utilize RPG-X, so many of the links may be broken or not tended to. If you need a specific map not available in RPGXUE, please contact an RPG-X staff person for assistance.

Policy Questions

What types of discipline are there if I break the rules?
How we deal with a problem depends on the type of issue. For small first time offenses, we will generally give warnings and lighter punishments. However, we reserve the right to give out whatever form of discipline we feel is most appropriate – that could range from anything to a warning, a freeze at your current rank for a set amount of time, a demotion, a temporary ban, or expulsion. Again, all discipline decisions must be respected unless overturned by the Cabinet, and all IA/Cabinet decisions are final.

Don't I have a right to free speech?
The right to freedom of speech (or any other freedom) is given to your by your government. We are not a government, we are a website. Think of us like a private club; if you want to get in, you have to agree to certain rules, and if you want to stay in, you have to follow those rules, or the club will revoke your membership.

We reserve the right to take appropriate action against you if you break our rules or damage our community, as deemed necessary by IA and the Cabinet. That's not to say we will do any of those things, but it is our job to keep the community running smoothly and appropriately, and we are very committed to our job. While we are always happy to field polite and legitimate criticism and suggestions (we'd be remiss if we didn't) from our members, suggestions phrased as demands will likely be ignored or deleted. Needless to say, hateful speech and flaming is never acceptable anywhere, and is grounds for discipline.

I don't agree with something/didn't like a Cabinet vote/don't like a certain staff member. Do I have to do what they say?
We can't force you to do anything. But if you don't like it, we suggest you say your piece on why in a respectful way, and leave it at that. Breaking rules, whether you agree with them or not, is grounds for discipline.

Does my high rank mean that I can tell others what to do?
In short, no.

In long, your rank signifies your contribution to and respect in the community. It does not mean anything else and gives you no authority whatsoever within our group. Only staff members can issue requests with authority. 

I was banned from the forums/server. Can I appeal?
Yes. You may appeal your ban here. We reserve the right to deny any ban appeals, and to make bans un-appealable if we so choose. Most likely, un-appealable bans will only happen to severe repeat offenders.

I was banned again from the forums/server, or my ban appeal was denied. What do I do?
You clearly haven't learned your lessen if we had to ban you a second time, and if your appeal was denied, we obviously didn't think you were ready to come back. If you really feel you deserve another chance, you should talk to the IA head– but be prepared to own up to and understand your mistakes, and to be watched very closely.

I don't know how to roleplay/am new to RPing. Will someone teach me?
Yes! The Last Outpost has designed some videos to help you learn the basics of RPG-X and to teach you how to participate in RPs you are a part of. You can view a playlist of our academy videos here.

I didn't break any explicit rules, but I got punished anyway! It's not fair!
As this website is owned by the Cabinet we reserve the right to take disciplinary action for any behavior that we feel disrupts the community. It is explicitly stated in our CoC (section 1.7) that "Any action which does not technically violate the rules, but is judged to be malicious or inappropriate by our staff may result in discipline." If you aren't sure whether something you wish to do/say violates the rules, please talk to a staff member first.

Someone's harassing me on Skype, or elsewhere! Why won't you help me?
We cannot control what anyone does outside of our website and server space. However, if our members were involved and the problem was related to our group, we appreciate being informed, and will definitely keep that in mind (obviously, we require concrete proof of some sort). That said, any harassment on TLO's servers are something within our jurisdiction. If someone is making real life threats or anything that violates real-world laws, please inform us and we will contact the relevant authorities.

Getting Help

Part of the website isn't working. Who do I contact?
Martin Thompson is in charge of all the webserver and the forums. Contact him or post in the engineering forum to let him know about the problem.

There's a bug on the server or a map issue. Who do I contact?
Post in Engineering or contact one of our admins to let them know. They'll deal with it as soon as they have a chance.

I can't sign up/log in/post. What's the problem?
There are a number of things which could cause this issue. Try clearing your cache or using an alternate web browser. If problems persist, let us know in the Engineering forum.

What do I do if I see someone breaking rules?
Immediately contact one of our staff. For incidents on our website, contact a moderator (preferably Jenson). For problems on our RPG-X server, contact a server administrator. If nobody is available, contact one of our Cabinet members.

What do I do if there's nobody available to report incidents to?
Even if the staff member you wish to speak to is set to "away" or "busy," you should still leave them a message – they will see it eventually. However, please don't prod us needlessly – if we're gone, we're gone.

If nobody is available or responding, you can also file an incident report in the Report forums. If the problem takes place on the forums, we advise you to use the "report post" feature so we have a record of the offending post. Do not respond to any rule-breaking posts. If the issue occurs on the RPG-X server, save a log by hitting the ~ key, then entering /condump [name].txt, and have it ready to give to us (it'll be in your EF directory). You may also call a kick vote if the issue persists and no admins are available, but abuse of this function will be subject to discipline.

Who are the staff, and why do I need to do what they say?
Our staff members are people we have specifically chosen to help us run the server and moderate the forums. They are our go-to people and our advisers, and they have authority over regular members and guests on our website and server. Doing as they request is required, even if you disagree with it – they know best.

If you think a staff member is telling you to do something wrong or unnecessary, speak to Serris after following their directions, and they will look into your concerns. Arguing with a staff member will not look good to us, and will not help your case. Staff members will usually explain (privately) their reasons for discipline, but are not required to.

I have a question not answered here. What do I do?
Ask us and we'll do our best to answer!

Donation Questions

I'd like to contribute to the group by donating. How do I do that?
We process donations through PayPal, and we greatly appreciate your support!

If I donate, where will my contribution go?
Your money will be put in the The Last Outpost's PayPal account, and used to pay for server hosting, website hosting, and any other financial needs the group has. We do promise that all donated money is used to support the group, not individuals, but we cannot accept donations directed towards a specific purpose (except in extenuating circumstances; contact us if such a condition arises).

Why don't I get special benefits or a fancy position if I donate?
Your donation means you support what we do, but that doesn't mean we'll give you special favors – it wouldn't be a donation if you expected something in return other than the experience we are striving to provide. If you are uncomfortable with this or wish to receive something in return other than that, we ask that you not donate.

I'd like some proof that my donation is being used appropriately. How can I obtain it?
The Cabinet periodically issues reports covering what funds were received and how they are being used. These reports will be posted as announcements in the relevant forum. If you'd like information on a specific donation, please contact us (bear in mind that for donations given more than a quarter ago we may not have records).

I donated more than I meant to, or I didn't mean to donate at all! Can I get a refund?
We keep records of all donations. In most cases, it is possible for us to issue a whole or partial refund if you wish. However, we ask that if you want your donation refunded, you contact us as soon as possible, and absolutely no later than 10 days after submitting your donation. Though we will always try to issue refunds as appropriate, we cannot guarantee them, as we may have already used your donation to help cover our costs. Before you donate, please carefully review the submission page and all your details to avoid any mishap from occurring.

Miscellaneous Questions

How can I contact you for non-urgent questions or to share ideas?
We are frequently available on Skype, forum PM, or by e-mail.

Who wrote this guide?
(Ultra-Lord) Veritas wrote the original FAQ. (The Great) Jenson wrote the Code of Conduct, revised this guide for Project Retool, and tries to keep it updated. 

Who is responsible for creating the group?
The Last Outpost was founded in July 2010 by Jenson, Veritas, Klaw, and Telex Ferra, using a series of incantations and liberal amounts of incense (Jenson wore a pointy hat).

Who is Veritas/Pie? Are they the same person?
Veritas and [DATA EXPUNGED] are one and the same. As far as their identity, that's classified.

Why does it say the engineers are only mostly friendly?
Veritas isn't always friendly. Sometimes he's mean.

Why is Veritas so mean?
We think he was born that way.

Why is Jenson so awesome?
Jenson consumes 100% of his daily required spleen and spends quality time with John Barrowman.

Is Telex Ferra a robot?
If we told you that, she might have to kill you.

Is Klaw really a K-K-K-KLINGON?
You insult his honor by even asking...

That's all, folks! Click here to return to the top.