How do I become a server admin?

Started by Jmusial, October 24, 2011, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veritas

I think the confusion here is that we use "admin" both as a term for someone who as administrative power over TLO's servers, and for a person who has access to administration tools on ANY server.

Yes, the admin tools RPG-X has can be a ton of fun, and let you do cool things. Yes, on "unserious" servers like ones you make yourself, admins are really just having fun - that also goes for Wrath of John, though TLO admins still have to enforce rules on Wrath of John (there are simply fewer rules to enforce).

But administration on the TLO servers (especially the serious server) is not a privilege which lets you do cool things. It's a job, the tools for which happen to let you do cool things. The purpose of being an admin within TLO is not to have fun; it's to make sure everybody else is having fun. That means being constantly vigilant about misbehavior WHILE handling many, many players on server WHILE performing effects and running music for the plot WHILE RPing your own character, often while looking up IPs and checking blacklists and filing reports.

It's a ton of work, and while it is an honor (I think) to be selected as one, we don't select it based on who is the best RPer or who would have the most fun with it, or even who deserves extra privilege. Those things might be part of what we consider, but what we look for most of all is someone who is reliably dedicated to following our rules, and who's shown a continuous willingness to improve the experience for others, even to the detriment of their own enjoyment.

All that said, I'm happy for you guys to continue debating/discussing the purpose/priorities of being an admin - but please keep things respectful.