Forum Codeing

Started by Haddock Wolf, August 19, 2010, 11:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haddock Wolf

As you may know, BBc forums have a large variety of code, that allows you to manipulate your messages. While a large number are in easy to use buttons above post boxes, there are a large number not well known, and while not often used, have their place.

Here is a list of both basic and advanced SMF codes, which would be far too long to post.
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=22.0;sort=subject

And here are some others:
anchor  -  Creates a named anchor, you can read about them here.  If you need these, your post is probably too long to be a forum post.
br  -  Creates a new line.  Superfluous, since you can just use the enter key, but for certain weird formatting (signatures, mostly), it can sometimes come in handy.
iurl  -  I had to look this one up myself, never seen it or used it.  Basically, it's identical to url, except the link opens in the same window.  Probably only useful for admins and mods writing sticky/FAQ posts.
me  -  Already covered, it's what happens when you type /me, IRC-style
nobbc  -  Sends the enclosed text as just text without parsing it for BBcode.  Also works for smileys. 
php  -  Identical to code, except it applies PHP-standard text formatting.  Kinda pointless, since this isn't a programming forum.
time  -  Also pointless for non-programmers, this converts a Unix timestamp into something human-readable.

(remember to put brackets around them.)

(also, it might be a good idea to sticky this for future reference)