Computer Hardware and Electronics

Started by andrewthetechie, November 15, 2013, 04:58:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewthetechie

Edited again for the addition of the iMac now on my desk provided by work.

Martin Thompson

December 26, 2013, 12:29:56 pm #16 Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:32:58 pm by Martin Thompson
I'm going to get a pc upgrade very soon :D

I see many of us are boasting an i7 920 ATM. I still have mine clocked at the default 2.66 but might try my hand at OC when i get my new Haswell one as they tend to be pretty overclock able as compared to this one. Of course, it's a hit or miss on the die you get.

Tim

John Adams

My new laptop and my dad's desktop he sometimes lets me use

Laptop:
Toshiba somethingerother
2.5 GHz i3 somehing
4 GB RAM
HD 4000
and the worlds worst keyboard.

Desktop:
i7 Extreme Overclocked to about 4.2 GhZ
64 GB Ram
2x780s
10 TBs of HDD space on the server.

Klaw

Just to make you all jealous :P

The Machine which I will be building over the next month is as follows:

Intel Core i7 4770k @ 3.5Ghz
16 GB of Ram, running at 1866 MHZ
On a MSI  Z87-G45 Motherboard
With a Cooler Master GX II 750 Watt Power supply
An AMD Radeon R9 290X
A 120GB SSD as my primary Hard Drive
A Western Digital Blue 2 TB Hard drive as a secondary.
A Bluray/DVD/CD RW drive
All in a Cooler Master Scout 2 Case

Martin Thompson

December 26, 2013, 04:28:41 pm #20 Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:33:14 pm by Martin Thompson
Quote from: Klaw on December 26, 2013, 01:50:45 pm
Just to make you all jealous :P

The Machine which I will be building over the next month is as follows:

Intel Core i7 4770k @ 3.5Ghz
16 GB of Ram, running at 1866 MHZ
On a MSI  Z87-G45 Motherboard
With a Cooler Master GX II 750 Watt Power supply
An AMD Radeon R9 290X
A 120GB SSD as my primary Hard Drive
A Western Digital Blue 2 TB Hard drive as a secondary.
A Bluray/DVD/CD RW drive
All in a Cooler Master Scout 2 Case

Thats looks a damn lot like mine XD

Same, CPU, same GPU, though I'll be shooting for the Sapphire Tri-X version since the stock cooler versions run hot as hell and are as noisy as an aircraft (for someone active in a noise-reduction company not really a good buy XD). I already have my SSD from my old rig and going to shoot for a WD Green @ 3 TB since it had the best gb/euro ratio in the webstore i want to get it. As for the main board, ASUS all the way, i've never had any problems with any of my ASUS main boards and I've had nothing but trouble with any other brand of mainboard I have ever owned or worked with at my work place (sorry to say, but I have especially bad experience when it comes to MSI). I also read a review about the new Z87 mainboards from ASUS and the (uefi) bios and bundled utilities are praised for their excellence. So should I ever try my hand at overclocking, it will hopefully be a breeze :)

Anyway Klaw, nice rig. Like i said, same idea as mine, great minds think alike XD.

EDIT: My dad was just watching German TV, and I learned that in German, RAM is "Arbeidsspeicher" XD that sounds so funny.

Surok

Quote from: Martin Thompson on December 26, 2013, 12:29:56 pm
I see many of us are boasting an i7 920 ATM. I still have mine clocked at the default 2.66 but might try my hand at OC when i get my new Haswell one as they tend to be pretty overclock able as compared to this one. Of course, it's a hit or miss on the die you get.

Nice to see that many Nehalem brothers and sisters out there! I too have an i7 920 @ 2.66, and to this day I can't believe how much bang for the buck I got.  :D
Here's my stuff:

Desktop PC
Acer 23" Touchscreen
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz
OCZ 12GB @1600MHz Triple Channel RAM
ASUS P6T-SE
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
2x500GB HDD's in RAID 0
XFX 750W PSU
Neon tubes (!)

Microsoft Surface Pro
Intel Core i5 3317U @ 1.7GHz
4GB @ 1600MHz RAM
128GB SSD

BTW, Touchscreen+Windows 8+LCARS Interface == pure awesomeness.  :D*

Minutias

Quote from: Surok on December 27, 2013, 08:37:43 am
BTW, Touchscreen+Windows 8+LCARS Interface == pure awesomeness.  :D*

This LCARS interface you speak of, where did you find it? All I've been able to find is some pale imitations to true LCARS on the Windows Store, with unfortunately little funcitonality.  :(

John Adams

http://www.lcars47.com/
That's a good one to mess around with, it's just a standalone program though.

GSIO01

December 28, 2013, 06:36:59 am #24 Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:42:50 pm by GSIO01
Ah well here are mine:

Desktop
AMD FX-6100
16 GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked 2GB
256 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD
Duak-Boot: Windows 8.1 Professional N 64bit and Chakra Linux

Secondary Desktop
Pentium 4 3 Ghz
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X800 256MB
Chakra Linux

Notebook
MacBook Pro 15,4'' 11,3
i7 2.5 GHz
16 GB RAM
GeForce GT750M 2GB VRAM
Dual-Boot: Mac OS X Yosemite and Windows 8.1 Professional N 64Bit

Misc
iPhone 5S 16GB
Raspberry Pi Model B

Minutias

Quote from: John Adams on December 27, 2013, 05:21:43 pm
http://www.lcars47.com/
That's a good one to mess around with, it's just a standalone program though.

This is cool, very cool.

Surok

Yes, LCARS 47 is likely the coolest and most authentic one!

In the Store there's "LCARS Interface": http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/lcars-interface/cf3da302-e3bb-4dc1-a1ab-63cbcbed3662
It lets you use common starship systems like Helm, Tactical, Engineering and Transporter. The best part is probably the transporter console because it lets you do the three-finger transport swipe - now that's a good feeling! :)

It is not super-canon but it provides a fun LCARS experience because you can actually interact and "play" with it.

Martin Thompson

Just ordered my new one. Will post specs soon if your interested. Graphics cards where still on pre-order expected to ship mid-january so it will still be a while before i get it up and running for the full 100%.

Martin Thompson

January 11, 2014, 09:10:57 am #28 Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:13:08 am by Martin Thompson
I have completed my pc build, rejoice!

I'll start off by saying, I can run RPG-X with 2300 FPS now, and no, that is not a typo :). Actually when going above 200 fps (by setting com_maxfps to that value) the game isnt playable anymore due to server messages reaching maximum ammounts (youll get spammed by error messages), but fraps still runs and indicateds 2300 fps when setting maxfps to 9999 so yeah, thats quite awesome XD.

So, on to the specs then:

Case: Naxnoxia Deep Silence 5
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @ 3.5Ghz OC'ed to 4.4 Ghz running stable with a Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH cooler
RAM: 16 GB Kingston Hyper X, running at 1866 MHZ
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe
PSU: Corsair RM850 850 Watt
HDD:
-Kingston HyperX 256 Gb Sata 6 (so double the speed of regular SSD's. Though this is an oldy, I already had it from my old rig).
-Western Digintal Green 3 Tb
-Samsung 1Tb
DVD: Asus BC-12D2HT Blueray reader / DVD writer combo
Card Reader: Sharkoon Media REader II (because its nice and compact)
GPU (This is really where i went off-budget, but so worth it): 2x Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X (The one with the custom tri-x cooler, which is super quite and keeps the card 20 degrees cooler then the reference design. And yes, thats 2 of the second-fastest gpu's on the earth right now XD).

I also bought a new keyboard since my old one is about 12 years old and still running on a PS/2 connection which my new motherboard didn't have anymore. I got a Logitech G710+.

I think I'm settled for the forseeable future, and seeing I used my old rig for about 4 years now (with 1 motherboard replacement because the first one i had crapped out on me) I think i should be set for another 4 to 6 years with this.

The Investigator