"Walking Through a Sample Plot"

Started by Minutias, November 23, 2013, 01:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minutias

"Walking Through a Sample Plot"

Klaw walks you through a basic outline of a working plot.

Written by Klaw
Edited by Academy Faculty

Find the original thread [here]

1.   I start with a central idea, an event, a species, or a stellar phenomenon, or all 3. For this example, let's take a Quantum Fissure.
2.   What is the significance? The Fissure has erupted, and is radiating a nearby star system (Which you can name at any time)
---Now we have a situation on our hands, lives are at stake the drama is building, but it's not over yet.
3.   How do we handle this? The ship travels to the fissure, with an experimental device from the daystrom institute, in an effort to seal the gap. (The device could be attached to the phaser array, it could be launched by a torpedo, it could be a stand alone beam weapon, or even guided in with a shuttle, it's up to the CO)
4.   Did the solution work? (If it did, RP would be over...) No
5.   What happened when the device was used? The Fissure Expanded.
6.   What can you do now? Allow for crew development; see if they have ideas on how to close this. Attempts will fail, but further scans will reveal an oddity
7.   What is this oddity? Life
8.   Poll the Crew Theories.
9.   2 Possible endings, a Camouflaged creature, wounded, or a portal from a dimension, trying to make contact.
10.   Depending on which ending you take, the ends will vary, one could lead to the CMO performing Starship Surgery, the Other, could lead down another road, and go on for about another hour.

This is a VERY rough run through, but it gives you an idea, of how a small central thought can expand.

The Keys here are the questions, Who, What, Where, When and How. If you ask yourself these questions as you go along, it will lead to an imaginative and probable plot.

If you have any questions, Let me know via PM. If you want to see how I take this Plot, and make it something practical, let me know as well.