OFFICIAL RPG-X Reviews: Star Trek: Asteroid Field

Started by Telex Ferra, February 01, 2014, 07:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telex Ferra

This thread will contain all of the official RPG-X staff reviews for Star Trek: Asteroid Field. Each week the reviews will be added to the first post and the thread bumped for visibility. Please do not post in this thread. If you have any comments or concerns, please PM me directly.

These reviews are slightly edited for grammar and accessibility but the content and the score remain untouched.

SRP Name: Asteroid Field

Episode Name and Number: S3 E01: Epicinium

Who Attended: SFC3, Munatio Nomen, Lucas Picard, Archibald, Klaw, Martin Thompson, Criminula, Andzzy and Gregory House

What Happened: The beginning I'll admit confused me a little but there was clearly a Borg augmented Romulan mining ship that was attacking the convoy we were trying to protect. We then retreated. Pioneer was clearly being used as a point to repair and regroup, which is what happened there was the sensor array then Klaw's character with his plan and system upgrades, Sophia Mason was clearly worried about why the Borg ship didn't follow and there was a meeting about the next plan of action.

Opinion: I'll admit that the beginning had me somewhat confused but I ran with it and ended up reaching the familiar surroundings of Pioneer where it took a bit to get going but when it did it seemed like there was a lot of good activity going on all across the station which I liked and it ended with an ending that had me slightly confused also but I'm sure I'll pick it up. Overall it was great when it did get going but it take some time getting there but it was only the first episode so I'm expecting great things.

Score out of 100:

No review was submitted for Season 03, Episode 02

SRP Name: Asteroid Field

Episode Name and Number:
S3 E03 Aletheia

What Happened:
We discovered the missing ship we were looking for and approached silently. When we did beam aboard the ship it was completely abandoned and we went about doing our stuff in the teams we had been allocated e.g. heading to sickbay or engineering. So after we finished what we were doing and picked up some cargo we headed back to the transporter to learn there was bacteria in the air!! So we got back to what we were doing and also went about solving the problems this new news of the airborne disease posed. After a while our characters went through some 'changes' and it becomes clear that we ought not to stay aboard the ship for very long. After a bit of 'trouble' with our new found personalities we headed to the armoury wearing EV suits and the air was removed to remove the bacteria and the infection cured. When we got back to the ship we spent some time coming to terms with what had happened, we relaxed and the captain opened Walter's case!!

Opinion: My overall opinion of the episode was good (if a bit twitchy at times), it felt very involving as we, or at least I, tried to subtly change the character throughout the opening minutes of learning there was something in the air and overall led to some interesting moments and a new development on Walter Pierce just to make sure you were paying attention.

Score out of 100: 91

SRP Name: Star Trek Asteroid Field

Episode Name and Number: S3 E04 Tabula Rasa

Who Attended: Grizz, SFC3, Martin Thompson, Andzzy, Talus Roben, Criminula, HeyBanditoz (joined at the ending), [Kurt Fraser (left mid-RP)

What Happened: Starfleet & Civilian Crew returning to Pioneer in full for the first time since the anniversary special during Season 2. Mason preparing to address the new (& existing) arrivals. Computer fault caused an environmental malfunction - locking down Engineering under the belief that there was a fusion core meltdown. Meanwhile, Mason attends to an approaching refugee fleet and cooperating with the Klingons to use two of the disused mining platforms.

The plot twist about Peirce is revisited. Peirce's briefcase is revealed to Etis. Mason claims she knew of it's location through Starfleet Intelligence. But was then contacted by an external force - who seemingly talked to Hampton previously (see: http://www.last-outpost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5050.0.html )

Opinion: This episode was extremely well done, and had a plotline that enforces the "Engineering and Sickbay are the places were things go wrong" trope that AB/AF does so well. The beginning of the episode was nice for those wanting to develop their characters.

New plotlines were also revealed AND revisited in this episode - I have a feeling this is the start of something good, to set the tone for this season.

Score out of 100: 90

SRP Name: Star Trek: Asteroid Field

Episode Name and Number: Season 3, Episode 6: "Gods and Monsters, Pt II"

Attendance: 7/14 upon SRP start, 10/14 after starting

What Happened: The SRP started off with a recap from the previous episode at a conference meeting, while an old face (Renee Hampton) arrived at the station along with Klingon and Romulan dignitaries. Prof. Fox continues to decrypt the cube with a piece of the puzzle eventually being unlocked, and Perry discovers the origin of the bomb which gutted a deck. Politicking gets underway with Hampton with a resulting thinly-veiled threat from the Romulans.

Opinion: The SRP started on time, which is always nice to see. Poor attendance limited the enjoyment and left the episode pretty empty which was disappointing because we all know the usual turnouts. Pieces of the plot came together which answered some questions from earlier in the season which is always good. Throughout the episode I had the feeling peoples' attention was being diverted because outside of critical plots not much was going on, which can be attributed to the above. People need to give ST:AF the attention and respect it - and in turn it's creator - deserves.

Score out of 100: 65.

Episode Name and Number: Season 3, Episode 7: "Something in the Way"

Attendance: 9/14

What Happened: The Ariana arrives at a scientific beacon that ceased functioning and reporting back to Pioneer. As the junior crew plan for repairs they open a channel to the beacon only for the ship's systems to suddenly and inexplicably cease functioning - important ones such as life support. After an emergency landing at an abandoned research outpost the problems follow the crew there as tremors trap Captain Mason and some of the crew beyond help with base functionality in a similar state. Soon after the crew realise they are not alone as Helmsman Richard Wilson finds out, being attacked by a mysterious Romulan. After dealing with damage control and talking to the Romulan known as Nolan the Ariana is hijacked by an unknown party. Thankfully their new friend shows the same leniency shown to him and has the group beamed to an alien ship along with an unconcious Mason. The Ariana is left on the planet surface..for now.

Opinion: The SRP once again started on time, with the exception of Mason and Etis all crew members are new characters - junior crew after leaving Pioneer. The smaller map and being on a cramped ship meant more interaction between the players, which is always good and very much sought after. Add into the mix disasters heaped upon disasters with Romulans and unknown aliens into the mix, the episode was very well written, executed and made for a tense yet enjoyable time. I think I speak for everyone when I say I look forward to the next time!

Score out of 100: 90.

Episode Name and Number: Season 3, Episode 8: "Down the River Skral"

Attendance: 6/14; Grizz, SFC3, Criminula, Mutatio Nomen, Archibald + 1

What Happened: The episode starts with Walter Pierce finally making his appearance, and reveals to be holding and torturing a senior member of Pioneer's crew! We flash back to five days previously, and Commodore Leona Mason returns to Pioneer while her daughter is on the Ariana. She endeavours to make the station ready for the coming troubles, including dusting off de-activated defensive upgrades. As Costello scours the station for any more devices of the explosive variety, one is discovered on the Promenade and she and Chief Engineer McClintock set to deactivate it. Meanwhile Klingon ships taunt Pioneer, testing their defenses and reactions. Medical is kept busy running blood tests on every member of the crew. It takes every ounce of their combined talents and concentration, but the bomb is defused - with Costello's reward are orders to return to Earth.

Opinion: The SRP once again started on time, with attendance continuing to disappoint somehow even after being postponed last week. Yet despite the light turnout the episode was tense, active and included a nasty twist - testament to the show-runner and the superb writing, going from strength to strength. The dynamic of a returning character to a heightened crisis situation was handled really well, and the opener was eye-opening yet frightening. More please!

Score out of 100: 86.

Episode Name and Number: Season 3, Episode 9: "We Can Make The World Stop"

Attendance: Grizz, Jon Riker (briefly), Mutatio Nomen, SFC3, Martin Thompson, Andzzy (6/10)

What Happened: The episode kicks off with another monologue by Peirce with a captured Costello, who is shown footage of the previous episode's disastrous phaser cannon "malfunction" which destroyed a defenseless Klingon ship. Back at Pioneer, Sophia Mason is back among the living and butts heads with her mother Leona in the Ops conference room after receiving a message regarding Costello. Meanwhile the chief engineer Craig McClintock is distraught after "River Skral" and is even more so once it becomes known to the senior staff of her capture. At which point, an off-book rescue mission is staged in association with Gaila and his ship, leaving the volunteers' uniforms and ranks behind.

Opinion: The mother/daughter dynamic of the Masons' finally came to a head which was particularly great and dramatic to watch. I'm sure it was technically challenging to pull off both characters at the same time. The episode had a great sense of pace as we hurtle towards the season finale with the different viewpoints of certain characters well-shaped and adding intrigue. Despite the skeleton crew the writing quality of ST:AF always shines through, and in this penultimate episode it is especially evident. It leaves me particularly anxious for next week to see what happens next. A weekly highlight.

Score out of 100: 86.

Episode Name and Number: Season 3, Episode 10

Attendance: Grizz, Martin Thompson, Lucas Picard, SFC3, Mutatio Nomen, Criminula, Andzzy (7/9)

What Happened: At the season finale, the away team finally infiltrate the Red Dawn base where Alicia Costello is being held with the help of an unlikely Ferengi. Making their way through an eerily quiet terrorist stronghold, suspicions rise that not all is as it seems. Together they breach the base defenses only to come face to face with their greatest adversary yet - WALTER PIERCE himself, who seems to have aligned himself with Red Dawn, but only for his own selfish motivations. With Costello's life in mortal danger, he exchanges his freedom for the antidote to cure her, which actually follows through on only to trigger the alarm. Beating a hasty retreat back to Gaila's ship with Unconscious Alicia in tow, they ready their orbital escape only to find Mason missing. We find her intercepting Pierce to answer not only her questions but for the call of justice to be answered. Before he's knocked out cold, Pierce reveals the Accobar System's true, deadlier enemy - Ambassador Taval.

Opinion: The episode started on time. In the season finale the Red Dawn plot is wrapped up very well, with the CO taking on different roles during the installment which I'm sure is technically challenging. The whole cast was involved in rescuing one of their own from the clutches of a hated enemy, which is always a galvanizing plot-line. Particular set-pieces I enjoyed was Gaila's time-stalling attempts, Mason's riveting final confrontation with Pierce plus seeing the events and stress of the past year's events finally overwhelming her. Revelations from the episode make me very hopeful for Season 4. A tour de force.

Score out of 100: 99

Episode Name and Number: Season 4, Episode 4: "Ashes to Ashes"

What Happened: The episode starts with a prologue between Denara Clarke, the arch-nemesis and Captain Mason, discussing what could transpire during the episode and what Denara did before. They talk of destinies, before the latter is rudely interrupted by a disruptor to the face. Mason wakes up; it was all a very vivid dream.

The day starts anew, with a conference briefing. The Athena will make a run to activate a sabotaged orbital beacon to lure in Clarke's ship and destroy it. At least, that's what's planned. Once the ship arrives, Mason changes the plan on the crew and beams down to Rajuska, to trade herself to Clarke in exchange for the three missing crew taken from last episode.

To sweeten the deal Mason hands over the mysterious Accobi device, booby-trapped by McClintock's transponders. When activated, they distract all concerned enough for the Athena to beam up all crew involved. But not fast enough, when disruptors trained on the crew fire upon Michael Barnes and Jemma Etis. As the ship pushes itself back to Pioneer, the executive officer passes away en-route from his inflicted wounds.

And Mason is pissed.

Opinion: The episode started on-time. With an attendance of ten it was a great turnout, with a decent amount of downtime for the crew to interact in-between the set-piece action. It's good get away from the station every once in a while, and the whole episode had a great sense of pace. It seems Mason always has an ace up her sleeve, but in this case the double-cross goes badly wrong, with Etis and Barnes both being shot by Clarke. Sophia Mason is on a path to vengeance close at hand. This is fantastic A+ writing, with lots of twists and turns to keep us - the players guessing right up to the end. Along with the CO in some cases! The massive shock-ending is also nicely done - sorry SFC3 - and still leaves this reviewer reeling from all the gunfire and deaths. Keep it coming!

Score out of 100: 95

Episode Name and Number: Season 4, Episode 5: "Kill Clarke"

Who Attended: Grizz, SFC3, Mutatio Nomen, criminula, Martin Thompson, Lucas Picard, Shoot, Samual Johnson, Andzzy

What Happened: The episode starts where it left off - the crew making their high-speed escape with Halkonian cruisers hot on their tail. As they finally drop out of warp and approach their home station, mysterious devices emerge from the asteroid field and project a massive energy barrier around the asteroid field, cutting the Halkonians off from their prey, but also trapping the Pioneer crew inside.

At this point a briefing is called where Captain Mason is nowhere to be found - Alicia Costello is the new woman temporarily in charge. Consensus is quickly achieved where Denara Clarke (currently stewing in the station's brig) will be delivered to a Federation courtroom to face justice for the murder of Commander Michael Barnes in the previous episode. During this time, Jemma Etis converses with Clarke on a number of long-standing questions requiring answers, and comes to the determination the crew needs her help to survive what's yet to come.

The crew are called to another briefing where Clarke pours not just her heart but mind over a variety of issues, and states that the energy barrier currently encompassing both the station and asteroid field is not for our protection, but to ensure the crew have no means of escape. But from what?

Opinion: This episode is a great addition to Asteroid Field because it shows the way an episode can change so fluidly without the CO anywhere to be seen. Not only does this give more autonomy to the players themselves but makes the whole experience a lot more fun, with the dynamics totally shifted. It was very refreshing, but also slightly scary! While we got off to a rocky start due to the sudden power vacuum both in and OOC, we all banded together and gelled very nicely - no shots were fired..which is always an achievement. Story-wise it has always been this author's opinion that it's the best contained in a Serial Roleplay ever. Many burning questions were finally revealed, leading us up to the season finale which I'm sure will be the piece de resistance of this SRP.

Score out of 100: 94