Chapter I: The Basics
Lesson E: Creating your character

Written by Telex Ferra
Edited by Academy Faculty

Check out these related video tutorials:
Video 3 - Coloring Text
Video 4 - Making a Character
Video 5 - Picking a Model

Every character in RPG-X has a series of important settings that help identify your position, rank, and other identifying details about your character. These options can be accessed from the main menu or in-game from the "player settings" and "player model" menus.

In player settings:

Name:In this field, you should put the name of your character as well as your character's position in the RP. To color a name, press shift+6 to get the carrot, then select the number corresponding to the color you want. The color-number combinations are 12345678

Here are some common RP positions and how they should be colored. These are not hard-and-fast rules, so color can vary depending on what era the RP takes place in. (For instance, a TNG era RP will have command as red, but a TOS era RP will have command as yellow)

CO - Commanding Officer
XO - Executive Officer
Helm/CFO - Helm or Chief Flight Officer
CE - Chief Engineer
CoS - Chief of Security
OPS - Operations Officer
CMO - Chief Medical Officer
CSO - Chief Science Officer
Eng - A lower-ranked engineer
Sec - A lower-ranked security officer
Med - A lower-ranked medical officer
Sci - A lower ranked science officer

Class: The class that you choose for your character should match your position. The CO should be in the command class, the CE in the engineering class, the CSO in the science class etc.

Rank: This is the rank of your character that will appear in the player list (TAB). Your rank should be appropriate to the situation. A lowly medic should not be a fleet admiral.

Age: This field will display when anyone scans you with a tricorder. Set it however you would like.

Race: This field will display when anyone scans you with a tricorder: Set it however you would like. (NOTE this field has no connection to your model)

Model: Your model is the character that everyone else sees during the game. Each model has multiple customization options that you should take advantage of when choosing your model. Almost every model has multiple color options so that your character's collar can match your position. For example, if you're the CE, you're going to want a model with a gold collar, whereas the CO will want a model with a red collar. When you change your model in-game, be sure to say "(tab)" in global chat. This will allow everyone to see your new model.

To put it all together. Let's say I want to make a 36 year old male Bolian named Dex who is ranked lieutenant commander and serves as the chief engineer. My character would be set up this way

Name: ^3CE ^7Dex
Class: Engineer
Race: Bolian
Model: Chell/main/gold