How would you rate 'Swarm of Lies?'

Excellent
Good
Average
Poor
Awful

Grizz

"Spin around three times and jump on the spot. That's an order."

With Josh Riker pleading his innocence against the possibility that he was in fact a Vega Drone, Captain Mason was able to soon make a determination on that matter following a simple test. Sure enough, a brief examination by Doctor Rogan uncovered that Riker has been 'bugged' down on Rajusca - and this was simply another play in Vega's game. Surprisingly (or perhaps not so), Vega was cooperative in revealing an imminent test of her modified assimilation virus via the missing Sphere. Giving the Helia less than two hours to identify and reach the target in time, the crew left Accobar once again to warn Starfleet Command and narrow down a list of destinations.

Believing that Vega still believes she's acting to ultimately protect the Federation and accelerate Starfleet's progression, Mason, Menden and Etis disregarded all Starfleet and Federation-aligned points of interest in the Tyrella Sector. Between a final list of three locations, the Captain ordered the Helia be put on course for the port of Arcadia - a location last visited in Season Five's "Hocus Pocus, Hokem." An episode which Mason referenced when briefly mocking the reasons for their visit. Their high-speed trip, however, was cut suddenly short - during a counselling session with Laren, no less!

"You hate me, don't you..."

Thrown out of slipstream velocity, Layton rushed to diagnose and resolve the small glitch fault which had caused the Quantum Drive to abruptly fail. With assistance from Etis, however, it was a speedy job. But Mason was able to make the most of the break as she learnt that Doctor Rogan was closing in on the results of her medical exam aboard Starbase 215 which she had tried to conceal. Contacted by 'The Truth,' Mason made the most of Rogan's examination of Laren to access, download and erase the transmitted medical data. She was, however, unaware that Rogan already knew of the record's existence and it had already been backed up. What was perhaps a sloppy mistake, however, was perhaps a sign that she needed to confide in somebody. Returning to Sickbay, Mason faced Rogan to apologize.

"I'll die once I've finished what I started."

Her inherited mental condition, easily treatable on her cut-off homeworld of Telos, had been managed by small doses of desegranine - first by her mother and then by Doctor Rogan. Whatever Vega did to conceal her memories of their conversations aboard Station Nimoy, however, reacted with the existing drug and rapidly accelerated the neurodegenerative disorder. Now a fatal condition, Mason vowed to reclaim Pioneer and finish the work she started three years ago before she would be 'done.' Doctor Rogan was quick to start work on a brighter outcome.

"Are you sure this is necessary?"

Eventually arriving at Arcadia, the Helia was greeted with an all-too expected reception. Given that their previous visit ended with it';s reputation (what there was of it) largely tarnished, a Starfleet investigation and the death of the port's Governor, it seemed unlikely that the Helia would bem welcomed with open arms. The new authority on the station wouldn't give the crew the time of day so that Mason might explain the threat facing them. Instead, a fleet of civilian freighters and trade ships stood between the Helia and Arcadia. Not to be deterred however, Mason threatened to take control of Arcadia and force its evacuation - immediately (perhaps too immediately) jumping to the option of taking down the station's shields by weapons fire. Quickly objected to by Menden, Layton presented a less drastic option for disabling their shields.

With the Sphere bearing down on their position, Arcadia's shields were taken down and Menden and Costello beamed away with an away team to take matters in to their own hands....

I dropped the ball on this one as far as I'm concerned (the curse of the Episode 3 slot is probably back) - hence giving it 24 hours before posting this recap / personal review. There wasn't enough content to go around, especially after I dropped most of the President Taylor B-Plot late on. I realized by the halfway point that it was overly Mason-centric and there were more players sitting about / standing about than last week. Admittedly it wasn't helped by an imbalanced roster - with two departments flying solo and a third nonexistent (this science ship lacks a science department - how about that). I think we're starting to be hit by this - making departmental areas very lonely. It will be something to adapt to going forward if it stays this way.

This episode was about making it clear that Vega is very much in a winning position. She has eyes and ears everywhere. Starfleet is responding to her, playing by her rules while the President's hand was almost forced. All the while, Vega's capture of Mason last series has led to the Captain's seemingly ultimately fatal deterioration - who herself is making decisions she is no longer sure about, seemingly in service to a man she does not know or trust.

The series will be opening up from this point on and we'll be getting away from the Helia. Before that, there's a special episode this week to mark eight years in the Accobar System - more details on that soon. Thanks for attending - rate and discuss, above and below.