State of Development - 5/9/2016

Started by Telex Ferra, May 09, 2016, 08:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telex Ferra

Hello everyone,

Another week, and another load of progress made by both Martin and myself on the RPG-X source code. I'm excited to announce even more improvements that you can expect to see in RPG-X 2.4.

Repository Cleanup

Martin has done an excellent job identifying and tackling code cleanliness issues all over the repository. While this may sound like a simple matter of aesthetics, cleaner code is easier to maintain, and cleaning up what's there may help us eliminate bugs without even knowing it. In the past week, Martin has removed conditional inclusion of LUA into RPG-X, opting to ALWAYS include LUA. This removed several incredibly messy sections of code without affecting any of the current functionality.

Internet1 works again!

Those of you who have been here long enough remember when the internet1 master server went down a few years ago. We have rearranged the master server list to put the current Internet3 master server into the Internet1 slot. No more confusion!

No more shortcuts

Shortcuts will no longer be necessary to start the game correctly. Running from the binary file (.exe for most of you) should launch the game with the correct settings. The following defaults have been set to allow this to happen:

vm_ui = 0
vm_game = 0
vm_cgame = 0
fs_game = RPG-X2

More memory!

The following defaults have been set to allow this to happen:

com_hunkmegs = 512
com_zonemegs = 128

What's next?

Martin and I each have a few things we'll be working on for the next week. Martin is working on creating a preset development virtual machine so that anyone who wishes to join us in development can easily download a vm and get started with all of RPG-X's dependencies already installed. In addition, I have been tackling several bugs. In the next week I hope to eliminate the station_iowa selfdestruct crash bug and a bug that causes player ids to show as 0 in the tablist even when their IDs are different.