SRP Update - The End of Serialization & Nine Years in Accobar

Started by Grizz, December 17, 2016, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

Hello everyone,

Early this week, after confirming who would be playing a number of roles in 'Dawn of Conspiracy,' I set about completing a number of the scripts which would make up the seven 'acts' of the special. Shortly thereafter, I was taken unwell on account of a problem which has been behind a number of LOAs I have taken from TLO in the past. I have recovered through the week and last night fired up the 80s synth in the hopes if completing those works. Sadly, this has forced me to admit that my time attempting to run a weekly Serial Roleplay is over.

I daresay that over the course of the year, without wishing to speak for any anybody else, it has been indicated by the amount of series and miniseries that have been withdrawn or cancelled that this is not a process that has gotten easier over the years. I don't think it's simply because of the way RPG-X has changed - I think it's also in part due to how our perception of television and film has changed - alongside the sheer fact that many of us here have also aged significantly since starting out  :P

The first run of Asteroid Base at Federation Roleplay was done without episode overviews, pages and pages of story arcs and per-episode scripts. It was also ran at a time when I was thankfully of sounder mind, had few real-world priorities and with multiple collaborators who I could talk to every single day. Compared to recent times, when I've admittedly obsessed over getting the job done right despite no longer being a child without a care in the world. The time is no longer there, nor the will that once was. I cannot honestly expect anybody to commit to a weekly roleplay when I myself am not committed to it for a multitude of reasons. This has been a coping mechanism - but one that has recently broken down.

But I promised to see it through - one way or another. I said that there would be hard days to come but we would make it work. Therefore, I have requested Scott for permission to reformat the remainder of the series. He has generously approved an approach which will significantly ease the burden and offer a lot more freedom.

Deus Ex Machina, the 80th episode of Asteroid Field, now marks the conclusion of the seventh season and the final regular episode of the series. Starting in the new year, the main story beats that were planned for the second half of the season will be reimagined in a small number of 'specials' - starting still with 'Dawn of Conspiracy.' I currently imagine four of these specials will suffice. They will not air weekly, but a number of weeks apart. Four more outings, concluding under the banner of an unchanged title for the finale which I believe encompasses everyone that has been involved in these series over the years. Not that I'm telling you what it is.

I hope there is not too much disappointment. Perhaps there is some relief. Nevertheless, for those of you who planned to be there tomorrow - please do still be, if you can make it. I still want to mark the occasion and since I didn't get to make it to the jolly RPG-X Holiday Party, I would take the opportunity to hang out and thank you all for the work you have put in to getting us this far.

I have said the same old stuff year.... after year..... after year.... but I have meant it every time. Thank you all so very much - not only to Asteroid Field members and writers, past and present, but to everyone who was present at all the groups that have hosted it.

Have what is, incredibly, now an outdated video. The sentiment is still very much relevant.

(p.s. I may well have to put together a final version of the 'title sequence' to the final run. It's only fair to newcomers)