Introducing the Unreal RPG-X Initiative!

Started by Andzzy, July 01, 2019, 06:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andzzy

Hey everyone! Today I'm pleased to announce that I'm starting an initiative here at TLO! One of the things I hear the most from people who have been here for a long time and newcomers alike is that RPG-X is in need of an overhaul, so I want to try to make that happen. I'm putting together some documentation that I'd like to share with everyone soon. For the time being, I'm going to answer some basic questions about this initiative.

1) What is the project?

This is an attempt to recreate RPG-X in the Unreal Engine. The purpose is to modernize RPG-X in such a way that new content is easy to add and support. The RPG-X that we know and love has survived for an extremely long time on it's own and I think it will be very exciting to have something brand new.

The first thing I'd like to do is recreate the USS Voyager. It's one of the main series ships that we know the most about and I think it would be fun to demonstrate a number of features on it.

2) Who will be developing this new iteration of RPG-X?

Anyone who wants to be involved! The project is open as a community initiative meaning that anyone is welcome to contribute at any time. Obviously a project of this undertaking is an incredibly massive effort and I would love to see what everyone comes up with.

3) How can I help?

This week, I'll be posting a link to the overall design document where the project will be outlined in much more detail. We're going to need everything from textures to 3D models to character models (as well as code and blueprints for functionality).

If you'd like to get started learning ahead of time, there is a vast library of livestreams and tutorials on the Unreal YouTube channel that cover virtually everything in the engine.

4) What sort of timeline were you thinking about?

I don't want to put any sort of definitive timeline on this, since I don't want anyone to feel rushed. Any contribution made at any time will be greatly appreciated.

I'm really excited to see how this unfolds in the future! I know the details are sparse but there will be much more in the document I release this week. As always if you have any questions/comments you can reach out to me, or comment below here!