====
CHIEF ENGINEER'S PERSONAL LOG
MCCLINTOCK, CRAIG LTCMDR
PIONEER STATION, ACCOBAR SYSTEM
STARDATE: 91694.97
====
CLEARANCE LEVEL ALPHA-2 OR ABOVE REQUIRED
====

Deep in the deepest bowels of Pioneer Station, McClintock slumped at his desk in Engineering, rubbing his forehead. The number of padds on his desk had not flucuated - he had barely been able to make a dent in it since his arrival the day before aboard the Hera. Several empty mugs of the strongest raktajino were scattered amongst the civilian repair requests.

He spoke into the air.
"Computer, begin recording." and waited for acknowledgment.

"Chief Engineer's Personal Log, stardate nine-one-six-nine-four-point-nine-seven. I've been on ma' new station for forty-eight hours and already pretty damn exhausted. Didnae' help we cruised in after battle stations, trying ma' damnest to keep things together. The Hera is a fine ship - sleek, but outfitted fur' science and exploration, nae' warfare. Perhaps I can propose some upgrades tae' her tae' Captain Mason, but I've already got ma' hands full." gesturing at his desk as he spoke. "Including defense upgrades fae' Klaw and Thrace needing his wee sensors tweaked."

"Speaking of which, it seems the Captain..Sophia and I hit it off kinda well - already on first name basis! Although tae' be honest I'm nae' sure if I was getting in trouble on ma' first day, or she was just showing me she's as overwhelmed as I am. I sure hope it's the latter."

McClintock rose slowly from his chair and made his way to the replicator, ordering yet another coffee before continuing, sipping between sentences.
"I've served aboard starbases for eight years noo'. I left Starbase 39-Sierra in a wee bit of disrepair, but that due tae' a bloody star going supernova. Minor damage. Pioneer Station's apparently been so lang' without a chief, I dinnae' kin' where' ti' start. I haven't left Engineering since I came aff' the boat - I dinnae' even kin' where my quarters are." he spoke as he stared out of his panoramic window of the system for the first time.

"It seems the crew's been through a lot recently - I can tell jist' by looking at their faces, never mind the mission reports I read. You never know just how much until you move fae' the pan straight into the fire. But I can also tell they're solid as the station. I'm proud ti' be reassigned here, even though it doesn't show yet - that'll come as soon as things get straightened oot' down here."

Turning to his left he saw Lieutenant Archibald doling out the new shift assignments, the floor of Engineering hectic with two-thirds of his staff before him on shift change.
"Archie seems capable enough, a fine officer. We've only just begun together - no doubt though he's done an interstellar job before I got here, but I sense he's a wee bit angry, or maybe overwhelmed. Perhaps he's just sore he didnae' get promoted.."

His coffee consumed, McClintock decided to get out onto the floor and lead a team fitting new power generators for a few hours. Sleep called to him dearly and he would answer soon. He was reminded daily that people depended on him to keep things together - as always - but a tired engineer is a dangerous engineer, even more so the chief since he has to make decisions and provide a role model to his boys.
"Time ti' set things straight. Computer, end log."