Bugfix: Low FPS on High end ATI/AMD Video Cards.

Started by Martin Thompson, June 19, 2011, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Thompson

Alright people, this is a problem thats been nagging me for the past 2 years now, thanks to Grizz I solved it.

The problem is this. Since driver version 10 of Catalyst, Elite Force (and all other Q3 engine games) has been getting
a low framerate in alot of areas of alot of RPG-X maps. For example the FPS in the USS Dauntless Transporter room when
you stand on the padd and you look to the door has been aroudn 10 FPS for me since driver version 10.

I am running on a ATI HD4850X2, not exactly a low end device, so you can imagine that me getting 10 FPS in alot
of areas of alot of maps, is quite frustrating. A previous fix was to rename your .exe to quake3.exe. For some people
this works, for me, it didn't.

For all the people who are having the same issue and the renaming of the .exe didn't fix the issue, here is a fix:

You need to replace a .dll that handles OpenGL drawing, revert it back to a previous state. There are 2 ways to do this.

1: The hard way. Get some old drivers from the ATI site, and extract it yourself:

QuoteObtain the atioglxx.dll file from a previous version such as 10.4.
1. download the appropriate 10.4 install package (32 bit, 64 bit)
2. launch install application
3. install process. We only wanted to unpack the files.
4. open a command prompt (type "cmd" at the run box)
5. browse to folder containing atioglxx.dl_ (yes, that's an underscore). Mine was in this path:
C:ATISupport10-4_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enuPackagesDrivers DisplayW76A_INFB_98282
5. expand the file by typing without the quotes (meh, or even with the quotes lol) "expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll"
6. copy that newly extrapolated .dll to
a. 64 bit Windows -- c:windowssystem32 and c:windowssyswow64. I opted to rename my old ones to *.old but I don't know if that was necessary. Also, these old OpenGL games on my Vista 64 bit OS didn't start working correctly until the file was in the C:windowssyswow64 folder so I don't know the circumstances where it will look in the system32 folder.
b. 32 bit Windows -- C:windowssystem32
Copied from http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205619

2: The easy way. I already did the above steps with version 9.4 of the drivers. I used the 64 bit drivers so this file might not work for you if you are running 32 bits.

Download this file: http://www.mediafire.com/?9a6esl4wa6p9ch4
Copy the file to c:windowssystem32 and c:windowssyswow64 (overwrite when prompted)
OR place it in the same folder as your stvef.exe or whatever engine you are using (ioCow, ioEF, RPG-XEF).

I hope this works for you all, it did for me!