The Last Outpost

Member Services => Engineering => Resolved Support Requests => Topic started by: mrfibbles on July 04, 2011, 04:31:23 PM

Title: Keyboard problems
Post by: mrfibbles on July 04, 2011, 04:31:23 PM
I have 2 problems. Before i go on, some info: My keyboard layout is this: (http://ascii-table.com/img/keyboard-234.png (//http://ascii-table.com/img/keyboard-234.png)) it's croatian
I also didn't have either of these problems before, when i installed EF and then the RPG-X mod. I would try doing that, but i lost my EF disc a while ago. I'm using the version i downloaded from your site.

1. I can't bind the console to the ΒΈ key (on american keyboards this is the ~ key i believe). I already tried doing this in hmconfig but it didn't work

2. I can't made the "^" symbol in game. This is obviously quite important. On my keyboard, i have to hold altgr and press 3 to get that symbol, but it doesn't work in-game.

Any info/possible solutions are welcome, cause i'm lost...
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: Martin Thompson on July 04, 2011, 04:54:42 PM
Alright, I dont know if this helps but you can try this.

I'm going to assume you are on either Windows Vista or Windows 7.
At the bottom right of your desktop, in the taskbar, you should see an icon of a keyboard
and a abbrevation of your language to the left of it. Click the keyboard icon
and you should see a list of languages. If you see it in the list,
select "United States (International)", if you don't see it right-click
the keyboard icon and press settings and add that.

If you select it, your pc should register your keyboard as a "normal"  american keyboard regardless of
what the layout on your keys read. Now in this case, the key below your ESC key is the console key
and the ^ symbol should be Shift+6.

I don't know if this works, please let something know and I might be able to help you further.
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: mrfibbles on July 04, 2011, 05:01:28 PM
Quote from: "Martin Thompson"Alright, I dont know if this helps but you can try this.

I'm going to assume you are on either Windows Vista or Windows 7.
At the bottom right of your desktop, in the taskbar, you should see an icon of a keyboard
and a abbrevation of your language to the left of it. Click the keyboard icon
and you should see a list of languages. If you see it in the list,
select "United States (International)", if you don't see it right-click
the keyboard icon and press settings and add that.

If you select it, your pc should register your keyboard as a "normal"  american keyboard regardless of
what the layout on your keys read. Now in this case, the key below your ESC key is the console key
and the ^ symbol should be Shift+6.

I don't know if this works, please let something know and I might be able to help you further.

Thanks for the help, however it doesn't work. The console doesn't work, and when i try shift+6, i get the same problem as if i was on my original layout
I can describe it like this: I press the key combination. Then i press a number, say, 1. What should appear is "^1" but actually nothing appears.

And yes i am using windows 7.
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: Telex Ferra on July 04, 2011, 08:45:06 PM
IS it possible for you to grab an American keyboard?
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: The Investigator on July 04, 2011, 09:14:46 PM
Quote from: "Telex Ferra"IS it possible for you to grab an American keyboard?

I'd try looking on eBay or another similar site to get a cheap American-layout keyboard
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: Martin Thompson on July 05, 2011, 09:40:52 AM
QuoteThen i press a number, say, 1. What should appear is "^1" but actually nothing appears.

If you press ^1 then nothign SHOULD happen. If however you press ^1CO, the letters CO shouls be
red, like so: CO. The ^mark is the text color mark in EF, in both ioEF and vanilla EF
you dont see the actual ^ and number.

But you still can't get up the console, thats annoying, let me think...

I'll get back to you on this, I've had a similar problem, just not sure anymore how i fixed it though...
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: Jenson on July 05, 2011, 09:48:22 AM
Quote from: "Martin Thompson"
QuoteThen i press a number, say, 1. What should appear is "^1" but actually nothing appears.

If you press ^1 then nothign SHOULD happen. If however you press ^1CO, the letters CO shouls be
red, like so: CO. The ^mark is the text color mark in EF, in both ioEF and vanilla EF
you dont see the actual ^ and number.

But you still can't get up the console, thats annoying, let me think...

I'll get back to you on this, I've had a similar problem, just not sure anymore how i fixed it though...

Martin, I know in some of my games the keyboard controls can be edited in a file within their program files--can this be done in Elite Force?
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: mrfibbles on July 06, 2011, 12:27:22 PM
Quote from: "Telex Ferra"IS it possible for you to grab an American keyboard?

I'd consider this a last resort.

Quote from: "Martin Thompson"If you press ^1 then nothign SHOULD happen. If however you press ^1CO, the letters CO shouls be
red, like so: CO. The ^mark is the text color mark in EF, in both ioEF and vanilla EF
you dont see the actual ^ and number.

But you do. When you mouse over the name field, you see the ^1CO. When you move the mouse away, you see CO. Try it

In any case i found a (temporary) solution to this name problem. I edited my player name in the hmconfig file, and when in-game I'll just be careful not to delete the ^ symbol when changing the name. Should work fine until i properly resolve this.

I still can't figure out how to set the console in hmconfig though...
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: Veritas on July 06, 2011, 12:30:48 PM
Look for the text "bind ~" and it should be around there somewhere.
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: mrfibbles on July 06, 2011, 12:46:46 PM
Quote from: "Veritas"Look for the text "bind ~" and it should be around there somewhere.

I just tried that, it didn't work when set to a different key, so i put back the ~ symbol
Now, for some reason, when i do the key combination to get ~, the console comes down

It's a bit awkward to get used to, but at least it works. Thanks, i guess :D
Title: Re: Keyboard problems
Post by: Martin Thompson on July 06, 2011, 01:53:56 PM
Alright. I also tried changing the bind int he config file but that doesn't work for some reason, also the config has 2 keys bound to "toggleconsole" both ~ and `

As for the name, I always enter my name in the console by using /set name
the name field can be a bit buggy sometimes, I didn't know you used it
i just assumed you also did it via the console. Anyway, glad you found it.
If I come up with a better solution ill let you know.