The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Star Trek: Asteroid Field => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Crew Lounge => Topic started by: Grizz on January 26, 2013, 06:06:32 PM

Poll
Question: Are you excited for Star Trek: Asteroid Field?
Option 1: Absolutely. Without Question! votes: 8
Option 2: Sure thing! votes: 0
Option 3: I may turn up... votes: 0
Option 4: Meh votes: 1
Option 5: I'm going to sleep through every episode. #criminula (<3) votes: 0
Title: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: Grizz on January 26, 2013, 06:06:32 PM
A prologue it may have been, but much ground we have already covered. A new gang of merry space adventurers have found themselves together to embark on a new mission in the Accobar System. Already, we have some questions to answer and some gaps to fill in. Throughout the course of the season and a run of revealing episodes, we will be delving in to flashbacks to see how many of Pioneer's new crew got to where they are today.

Everyone has a story to tell and there will be plenty of time to tell it. Along the way in approaching episodes, expect complications in the build up to a summit with the Romulans, discoveries to be made on the surface of Accobar III (shown at the end of this episode) and it wouldn't have 'Asteroid' in the title if there weren't plenty of twists and turns courtesy of Griffiths and myself.

Now it begins.

Again.
Title: Re: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: Andromeda on January 26, 2013, 06:51:41 PM
Whoever voted "Meh" Is a Communist.
Title: Re: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: Grizz on January 26, 2013, 07:39:57 PM
I expect said voter has now departed us.
Title: Re: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: Andromeda on January 26, 2013, 07:54:24 PM
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

As is the Code of TLO.
Title: Re: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: SFC3 on January 26, 2013, 08:22:31 PM
The Meh man is secretly Griffiths! He must be cleansed! xD
Title: Re: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: Griffwald on January 26, 2013, 08:22:54 PM
As a note the question above speaks to AF not the prologue. :P

I can understand how some people may have grown bored, but it was really intended to introduce characters and allow foursome basic intro-style relationships.

With Grizz at the helm, and me being dragged behind, AF will be full of the fun, exciting, new material we all came to expect from AB.
Title: Re: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: Griffwald on January 26, 2013, 08:23:26 PM
Quote from: SFC3 on January 26, 2013, 08:22:31 PM
The Meh man is Griffiths. Cease and desist. He must be destroyed.  :P

Why yes, I'm not excited for the SRP I am co-writing. Heh.
Title: Re: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: SFC3 on January 26, 2013, 08:27:37 PM
Quote from: Griffiths on January 26, 2013, 08:23:26 PM
Quote from: SFC3 on January 26, 2013, 08:22:31 PM
The Meh man is Griffiths. Cease and desist. He must be destroyed.  :P

Why yes, I'm not excited for the SRP I am co-writing. Heh.
HE ADMITS IT! FIRE THE NUKES!
Title: Re: 'Ab Initio' Discussion Thread
Post by: Talus Roben on January 27, 2013, 06:48:43 AM
Well, I haven't written one of these for a while...




So there we have it, the preview for Asteroid Field and a glimpse at the direction this SRP is going to take. A new crew (more or less), a shiny new station and the potential for a lot more fun down the line.

I think potential was definitely the theme running through the episode. The episode was essentially an excuse for everyone to meet everyone else before Grizz (and Griffiths), no doubt, throws everyone in at the deep-end in the coming weeks. I think this episode was always going to be a very 'marmite' type of episode, you were either going to love it or be disappointed.

If you came into the episode expecting something like Asteroid Base's action packed pilot 'The Arrival' then you would likely be disappointed. However, I feel the sedate nature of this prologue actually played to its advantage. Starting a series with a bang is all very well and good, but in 'Ab Initio' I can safely say that I got much better feeling for all the characters and their quirks and personalities through their conversations and interactions then I would have if everyone had just gone into 'oh no there's an emergency!' mode and run around trying to solve the problem of the week. Would we have seen the antipathy between Rogan and Swan in a crisis? Maybe. Would we have found out about the latter's history with Thrace say? Less likely.

This brings me neatly onto my favourite part of the episode. Everyone's characters seem to have naturally messed into a series of interconnected relationships. Obviously this was to be expected for the characters coming over from Asteroid Base with all their shared history but it was nice to see the new characters getting in on the action as well, be it the (as yet, somewhat, undefined) relationship between Hunter and Chaplain or Thrace and Swan's backstory. I don't know how much these were planned for everyone in the episode, but they definitely felt natural and didn't feel shoehorned in. Indeed, these little character moments were great and I look forward to seeing the hints that were dropped here being developed in later episodes.

As has been stated above some people have stated they have problems with the episode's pacing. I didn't see the rate things proceeded at as being much of a problem, but I can understand it would not have been great for everyone. Like I said, marmite.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed 'Ab Initio' and I can't wait to see what Asteroid Field Season 1 has in store for us!