The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Star Trek: Asteroid Field => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Crew Lounge => Topic started by: Grizz on March 23, 2013, 06:36:59 PM

Poll
Question: How would you rate 'Where There is Discord' by Grizz?
Option 1: Excelled in Excellence votes: 9
Option 2: Suitably Satisfying votes: 1
Option 3: Mostly Meh votes: 0
Option 4: Pitifully Poor votes: 0
Option 5: Absolutely Awful votes: 0
Title: 'Where There is Discord' Discussion Thread
Post by: Grizz on March 23, 2013, 06:36:59 PM
Doctor Hampton was coerced in to becoming the most unlikely of enemies as faraway forces used her to cause a number of distractions aboard the station so that her new remote contact could get away with a bunch of rocks and some dirt. Seriously. Through timely use of the old Operation: Trojan distress phrase, Hampton was able to put Thrace silently on the case. It didn't take too long for Renee's betrayal to become known to her remote captors - and they made good on their threat.

Thrace, Etis, Willis, Costello and O'Neill coordinated the effort which eliminated a series of not-so-natural asteroids flung towards the station. Someone wanted Pioneer Station out of the way. Someone wanted the peace process derailed for good.

In the final moments, we witnessed a man meeting with someone who remained firmly off-camera as it were. The man we followed was revealed to be FNN reporter Ryan Burke. The man he was meeting was he who attempted to control Renee throughout the day, It was promised that the following day would be one not long forgotten by the Federation. But both were somewhere on Pioneer Station, and seemed to have quite the organised set-up.

Unfortunately, you won't see how that concludes tomorrow. But you will just have to turn up next week. Thanks most of you... for attending. Thanks some of you... for staying. See you next week! Rate and discuss, above and below. Please do leave a comment, especially for those not present or who had to leave before the end  :)
Title: Re: 'Where There is Discord' Discussion Thread
Post by: The Investigator on March 23, 2013, 07:25:42 PM
Grizz, what can I say... this episode was brilliant to say the least.

I loved the mysteriousness of the whole 'implanted voice' plot, which climaxed to the near-destruction of the station! Of course, the science team saved the day, thanks to Ms. Etis's idea. And I can't wait to find out what happened with the FNN! Until next week, folks!
Title: Re: 'Where There is Discord' Discussion Thread
Post by: Martin Thompson on March 24, 2013, 06:58:18 AM
Verry good episode, good story and an exiting plot twist! Really enjoyed it this week.
Title: Re: 'Where There is Discord' Discussion Thread
Post by: Talus Roben on March 24, 2013, 03:35:09 PM
Star Trek: Asteroid Field - where the mind games no longer extend solely to Grizz and Griffiths messing with the heads of the players....

I think that 'Where There is Discord' has marked a turning point in the life of Asteroid Field. I think when we look back this is the episode where you will be able to pinpoint the moment where Asteroid Field stopped being Asteroid Base 2.0 and started to become its own beast. Much was made when it began about how Asteroid Field would be a different type of roleplay not necessarily rooted in wall to wall action week to week, but one which would offer a chance to be involved in a different style of plot. I think this is the week where we really saw Grizz capitalise and deliver on this promise. As much as I enjoyed the first half dozen episodes of Asteroid Field there was always the nagging doubt that it was living in the shadow of its (extremely well received) predecessor and as such all of the episodes had a distinctly AB theme or flavour to them and indeed I felt many of them could have been replicated using Munro and her crew. 'Where There is Discord,' in my opinion really served to highlight Asteroid Field's strengths and the differences that separate it from Asteroid Base.

Asteroid Field, in my opinion, is a more 'cerebral' series. It's here you're going to see a greater emphasis on diplomacy, first contacts and even politics rather than action. Even more than its predecessor AF is a character driven series and this is what this week's episode showed. Rather than a flashy plot to destroy the station or disrupt the peace talks we were instead treated to an intense psychological thriller as an unknown party attempted to, yes destroy the station to a degree, but more importantly capitalise on and widen the fractures that are already opening up between the civilian and Starfleet personnel on the station. Could you imagine the episode playing out in the same way if it had been Amber Munro in the place of Renee Hampton? I can't. Can the crew learn to put aside their difference or are they slowly going to pull themselves apart, even if it is through a mutual desire to do 'good' but with different philosophies? Time will tell.

As I've said I think this episode will mark the turning point for Asteroid Field, time will show us what it is turning into. Asteroid Field has some fantastic roleplayers attending it and I, personally, am looking forward to seeing more of these intense, tightly plotted character driven episode as the series continues.
Title: Re: 'Where There is Discord' Discussion Thread
Post by: Griffwald on March 24, 2013, 04:43:22 PM
I think Talus has very much hit the nail on the head.

Asteroid Field hasn't had an episode yet where we've had 20 minutes of exchanging phaser fire. (Though there has been some ground fighting.) This series' ongoing plots don't depend on things like that, and even if I wanted them to (which I don't), they wouldn't. Why? Because 1) Grizz wouldn't permit it. xD And 2) I firmly believe everyone would not receive the series as well.

As I sit here typing this, I also have open the episode guide for the remainder of Season 1. A quick glance at it would tell you that this style will continue. You won't see the "Fire phasers!" 20 minute long scenes that are so easy to fall in to. (Especially for me when I'm coming up with episodes. xD)

Though I had to leave this episode early, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually needed to leave 20 minutes prior to when I did, but was to enthralled I couldn't. So, I imagine that speaks to how I feel about it.

Excelled in Excellence, surely.

Title: Re: 'Where There is Discord' Discussion Thread
Post by: Spock on March 24, 2013, 04:50:13 PM
It was just another day on Pioneer Station. The engineering crew were setting in for a nice, clam, busy day when all of a sudden things want to go bezerk and Command wants to start going down like flies, nearly leaving Willis in command of the Station again. I must say while I like having a quiet engineering, it was certainly fun to "get my hands dirty" again. Getting things all fixed up in engineering and then going to find out who messed up in Ops only to find that no one is there because a whole bunch of commotion is going on down in the brig and sickbay. It's episodes like this and the entire Season of AF so far that have really allowed for everyone to develop their characters. I very much enjoyed it but, try not to torture this engineering as much as you did to Timor. I'm not a ginger and thus don't deserve it :P
Title: Re: 'Where There is Discord' Discussion Thread
Post by: Grizz on March 24, 2013, 06:14:38 PM
Thank you all for taking the time for comment and vote. This all helps me to write my own weekly reviews and all factors in to the end-of-season report. This not only ensures Asteroid Field adapts to what works for you, but also whether it comes back for a second run  :)

Thanks again!