The Last Outpost

Member Services => Engineering => Resolved Support Requests => Topic started by: Lucas Picard on April 29, 2013, 09:07:50 AM

Title: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Lucas Picard on April 29, 2013, 09:07:50 AM
Hi,

Yesterday I was trying to place my own music file on the server but for me to do that i was only on the local as an admin (coz i cant do it on the main servers). But I had help from Klaw to tell me i need to have a folder of music inside the baseEF folder (done that) but when i went online and tried to find the music i wanted to check but it found none of my files even in console it keeps coming saying unknown exstenion file.

Is there a way to get round this?

Thanks
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Jenson on April 29, 2013, 09:18:35 AM
Firstly, you should probably check to make sure you did indeed place the music files within the music folder (sometimes I've put them in baseef by accident). Only .pk3s can be in the main folder--any individual songs need to go in music.

Secondly, did you make sure to enter the command correctly in the console? Let's say the musicname was picardparties, then the command would be /playmusic music/picardparties even if you aren't an admin, you can actually play music on your own on the server (it's just that others won't hear it, only you) by using the command /music music/picardparties

If that still isn't working, it's possible the file name is invalid. I don't recall exactly what names it doesn't like--but try to make sure everything is one word (use underscores to separate any words, not spaces) and only has letters and numbers.

Hope that helps!
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 29, 2013, 09:36:53 AM
There are also certain specifications you must follow when creating the file to get it to work. I'd tell you right now but I'm on my wya out to work. Contact me in a few hours and I'll sort out your music problem. (I am rpg-x jukebox, after all)
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Lucas Picard on April 29, 2013, 09:50:27 AM
Quote from: Telex Ferra on April 29, 2013, 09:36:53 AM
There are also certain specifications you must follow when creating the file to get it to work. I'd tell you right now but I'm on my wya out to work. Contact me in a few hours and I'll sort out your music problem. (I am rpg-x jukebox, after all)

Ok but id did understand it has to be 128kbps and mp3 and i have done what jenson said about use _ and - and whatever with no spaces but most of them are just one word like 'Optimus' and it still ain't picking it up
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 29, 2013, 02:41:10 PM
They also need to be at 44.1khz; a pretty standard option in most audio editing programs.

So let's say I have a music file called telex, this file MUST

- Be a .wav or .mp3 (mp3 is better, trust me)
- Be at 128kbps, 44.1khz
- Not contain any spaces in its name (which telex doesn't)

Then I need to put telex somewhere in a .pk3. It doesn't *have* to be in the folder called music, but that's just our convention and makes it a lot easier to remember.

So you should have your music file, inside a folder called music, inside a .pk3, inside your RPG-X2 or baseEF folder.

From ingame, you can play the music locally by typing /music <path>. In this case, you'd type /music music/telex. Don't type the .mp3 or .wav extension.

To play music as an admin, just use /playmusic <path> instead of /music <path>

I hope that helps. If it's still not working, contact me on skype.
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Lucas Picard on April 29, 2013, 03:41:22 PM
I would if i have your skype account telex lol

and yeah its still not working the program i use is Audacity
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 29, 2013, 04:09:46 PM
email me the music file you're trying to play
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Lucas Picard on April 29, 2013, 04:12:06 PM
Can you post me your email address through PM please
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 29, 2013, 04:53:19 PM
Idk what to tell you Lucas. I took the files you sent me, put them in a music folder, put that music folder inside a pk3 and played the music in RPG-X without any problems.

Make sure you're following my directions. Do you know how to make a pk3?
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Lucas Picard on April 29, 2013, 05:34:10 PM
Yeah make a folder put files in then make a zip file and rename it to pk3
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 29, 2013, 05:39:36 PM
Make sure that your computer is showing file extensions, otherwise you may end up with a file that has .pk3 at the end, but is still a zip.

On a windows computer, changing the .zip to .pk3 will give you a warning. If that's not popping up then you're probably not doing it right.
Title: Re: Playing music? [RESOLVED]
Post by: Lucas Picard on April 30, 2013, 10:30:01 AM
I managed to get it working thanks guys :D