Good day, fellow Accobarians!
Once again I would like to take the week's break to sum up the current state of the SRP and shed a little light on where it's heading. Allow me to jump on it!
May Sweeps
In May, I created a number of polls to allow you guys to vote on your favourite and least favourite aspects of the series - so we could look towards adapting the second series to what you told us works well.
Storylines: The Federation & Romulan Splinter Factions came out on top here, in good time too, considering the focus of the current episodes has been on these groups in a big way. We also had the Character Building Episodes come in second place. Room to develop our and your characters is an important thing for us, so we have tried to keep certain episodes as open as we can to accommodate it. The addition of regular minisodes (during postponements & official breaks) have also allowed for this. These opportunities will certainly continue in to the second season. You were least interested in The Romulan Summit - which I have previously admitted was a mis-step on my behalf. Sorry, folks!
Storytelling: Our foreground storytelling came out on top! Well, that's a relief - as that's where most of the effort goes! Once again, character development came in at second - so another success as far as I'm concerned. The worst recieved aspect of the series at that point had been the Variety of Stories. Griffiths will back me up when I say that when discussing this with him, I looked at our episode guide and kicked myself. My personal opinion is that AF went off the rails a little when it came to delivering the types of stories I wanted to see when we started this whole thing. But at the same time, I think it has been unavoidable. We've had the scientific discoveries. We've had the mysteries of the Universe. We've had the return of G'rath & the Illuminati. But then we also had the diplomacy and the politics.
I say this situation was hard to swerve around because of how well (or, not well) this side of the series was received. A few members dropped out early on because the political angle wasn't for them. As a result, I very much distanced Doctor Hampton from her Government roots - apart from when it came to the Romulan summit - which was too late to modify. But even when we got there, it was a bit of a mess. It received the fewest votes and nobody had a word to say about it. So although I may not like it - it was time to pull out the big guns again. Hello Mr. President.
Thankfully, Griffiths has been on the ball when it comes to putting out a number of different story types. Even if the general theme of the season has been contrast to what I was looking for to start with. Now, I can respond to Series Length & Storytelling in the next section.
Season Two
You want story arcs, we're bringing more along. You want another longer season, we're pushing out another 13 episode run. Why 13 and not 16? Because it just goes on forever. The pilot was in January. JANUARY. Even with 16 episodes, this season should not have lasted six months. I dislike not making progress, so we have agreed to adapt the format for the second season. The 13 episodes and a cut from two weeks off to one week at mid-season allows us to shave a month off the predicted running time. It may not seem like a big deal - but from a storytelling POV, it really is. We will be sharing more about the second season following next week's finale - but as you may be well aware (fans of Star Trek canon), there is so much to come.
However, it won't be without it's changes. One of which, may have to be the map. I cannot cope with having to restart the server every week as a result of members (including myself & Griff) dropping out and not being able to reconnect. We have tried a few workarounds and nothing has worked. You may know that there is an earlier version of the map out there which omits the Promenade (it was going to be used just before the series started). I do not know if this will make that much of a difference - but I can hope. I'll be testing this out and speaking with Griff during the break and seeing if a change would be viable. I'll be the first to mourn the loss of the map's most unique location - which has been a source of many set pieces - but something's gotta give.
Attendance & Notice
There has undoubtedly been an upturn in attendance figures for the second half of the season - despite the unavoidable loss of Daniel Thrace for the entire finale thus far. But don't worry guys, he'll be back for the final episode. How do I know? Because there won't be a final episode without him! There have been a few recurring concerns though, and I'm sure the members in question are already aware. Please, please, please... use the 'unable to attend' thread! After 20+ weeks, I'm still left wondering 15 minutes in to an episode whether a vital character will be turning up.
Similarly, I'm going to be counting "multi-tasking" as a form of non-attendance. If you're on the server, but playing another game for long spells, that's not going to count as being present. These things have all added up and left me on the verge of a breakdown on more than one occasion. The 'AFK break' has helped tremendously it seems, and will be sticking around (with the addition of the stream, if it ever works properly) - but this is also why the next season has to be shortened. Issues cause problems, problems cause delays and delays cause us to be flailing around for half a year wondering if we're ever going to get through it. Thank you for your help on this, one and all!
Long-term
I have been asked how far we have planned ahead for Asteroid Field. With Asteroid Base, I took it one season at a time - with a vague idea of what I wanted to carry over and what I wanted to wrap up within the bulk. With Asteroid Field and Griffiths, we have been forced to think ahead quite a bit. There is an event coming up in the canon which severely impacts on pretty much every possible aspect of the series so far. As a result of this, it's fair to say that we have a feeling of where we could be in a third season. We certainly know what the landscape will be at that point - but we will one day need to fill that in with some details and specifics. But yes, we're certainly set for Seasons Two and (mostly) Three. But, if there's one thing I've learnt with Asteroid Base - it's to not take it for granted. AF could end tomorrow and that would be that. So one step at a time.
Personal long-term goal? I think that four seasons is a good target. I would love to see it be in that position, over a year down the line. I think we could get a good balance in that time. I think I could, anyway. With Griffiths - I'm sure we would have enough material for five seasons or more. But realistically, four seasons is a sweet spot. The original Asteroid Base ran for five, but lost something in that final bulk. With the addition of TLO-AB preceding Asteroid Field - we will have covered a lot of ground after four seasons. You'll understand that after Season Two - promise. But it's not for me to say, honestly. If we're still running a year from now, we'll let you know about Seasons 4 & 5.
Grizz
This is a bit of a side-note really, but does tie in a little. For me, this is it. Not now, but Asteroid Field as a whole. When this SRP comes to an end, I will be hanging up my keyboard. It has been a pleasure and an absolute joy to use RPG-X as a platform to tell a variety of stories over the last six years - handled and delivered by such wonderful roleplayers. I will be expanding on this tomorrow (keep an eye on Ex Astra), but I want to take the things I have been most proud of during this time and move on to doing something else with my days. I just provide outlines - you guys make the episodes and the seasons and the series and the mini-series and the events.
So whether you were a part of the Star Trek: Voyager SRP, the Hazard Team Roleplay, the original or re-imagined Asteroid Base (or both!), the Starship Excalibur event, the Morning Star pilot, Star Trek: Allegiance, Star Trek: Tipping Point and of course, Star Trek: Asteroid Field.. I love you all, you're wonderful, thank you very much for being a part of what I wanted to share. Enough of that for now.
Okay guys, that's it - we're done! The final episode of the first season will hopefully be going ahead as planned next week *crossed fingers.* So expect more teasers and my regular introduction over the next few days!
Grizz
Quote from: Grizz on June 21, 2013, 06:49:10 PM
When this SRP comes to an end, I will be hanging up my keyboard.
-dramatic gasp- :(
Quote from: Grizz on June 21, 2013, 06:49:10 PM
When this SRP comes to an end, I will be hanging up my keyboard.
Grizz it is a shame that you will be hanging up your keyboard as over the years you have provided so many wonderful stories which it has been an honour to be part of however I am sure you will be moving to greater things so I will wish you luck at the time =)
I like the read of this and I look forward to seeing what you and Griffiths has in store for us =)
100 more years! :P
Quote from: Grizz on June 21, 2013, 06:49:10 PM
When this SRP comes to an end, I will be hanging up my keyboard.
That's what Brett Favre said...and then he came back the next season. :P
Quote from: Grizz on June 21, 2013, 06:49:10 PM
When this SRP comes to an end, I will be hanging up my keyboard.
Nooooooooo,
RPG-X will certainly be a sadder place without the fantastic plots you put out week by week, month by month. However, I will wish you luck in your future endeavours and make the most of Asteroid Field while it is still around.
Now I'm gonna be even sadder when your SRP ends :'( I'm gonna miss the great stories you and griff put up together I wish it didn't end
Since I couldn't get round to Ex Astra today (due to an IRL loss) I should add, for the record, that Asteroid Field's swan song will coincide with my retirement from The Last Outpost - regardless of series length.
Then lets hope Asteroid Field will have the same lifespan of Dauntless and still have many seasons to come!
Asteroid Field now needs to have 100 seasons. No more, no less. 100.
Quote from: Andzzy on June 24, 2013, 03:27:56 PM
Asteroid Field now needs to have 100 seasons. No more, no less. 100.
All in favor say 'Aye'
Aye