The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Star Trek: Asteroid Field => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Writer's Corner => Topic started by: Grizz on December 06, 2013, 08:43:57 AM

Title: Accobar: The [Not-So] Full Story [ NOW AVAILABLE ]
Post by: Grizz on December 06, 2013, 08:43:57 AM
Hello again!

I have seen many queries over the last few months about designing serial roleplays and about running roleplays in general. I have also tried to help a select few in creating their plots and how best to promote them. Though I think that I inspired myself more than anything. I decided to delve in to my own memory banks and create a full account of how Star Trek: Asteroid Base and Star Trek: Asteroid Field were created, written, produced and developed over time with the concepts, assistance, inspiration, guidance and in some cases, full on takeover by others. I wanted to explore how my fellow writers influenced the series and look in to how Asteroid Base turned from a series of weekly romps to a run of multi-season arcs with game-changing twists.

What I chose to write (or type) about turned in to something more. Alongside the "this is what I wanted to do with the SRP" feature, is a more personal story of how events in the real world translated to changes within the roleplay itself, but also vice versa. How it all began in an Asda store in Wales. How 'Grizz' came to be out of stereotypical inaccuracies. How Amber Munro was created halfway up a waterfall in Yorkshire. How Stargate almost killed the series in less than a year. Why I couldn't allow two attempts to continue the series without me go ahead and why I personally believe that the lazy Asteroid Base name continues to have an influence - even when it once became such a tainted thing indeed.

Something I have known for some time became pretty reinforced along the way. Star Trek: Asteroid Base, for me, has been less of an RPG-X roleplay and more of a psychological roller-coaster.

Even if it proves to be of no use to potential SRP runners, or of any interest to RPG-X historians ( :P ), it has still been something of a self therapy session and contains pieces of information which I once never imagined I would be setting loose on the world and some which on first glance, didn't think had any effect on Asteroid Base (or Asteroid Field) at all. Nevertheless, it will be available to view on December 20th.

Have a great day!
Title: Re: Accobar: The Full Story [ NOW AVAILABLE ]
Post by: Grizz on December 20, 2013, 08:44:37 PM
Accobar: The [Not-So] Full Story Download Link (https://www.mediafire.com/?m4pfrdka7kqa44t)

This short, 15-page retrospective looks back on how Star Trek: Asteroid Base came to be and how events in the real world translated on to the roleplay itself and affected my RPG-X career.
Title: Re: Accobar: The [Not-So] Full Story [ NOW AVAILABLE ]
Post by: Martin Thompson on December 21, 2013, 05:35:24 AM
That is quite the read Grizz. Funny to see how other people's stargate interests have also been peaked by the beginning Atlantis. For me the story of Asteroid Base before i joined here on TLO have always been somewhat of a mystery. It was quite refreshing to read the full story. Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Accobar: The [Not-So] Full Story [ NOW AVAILABLE ]
Post by: Grizz on December 18, 2016, 05:01:07 AM
I have pulled this out from the depths as it seemed a good time to do so - plus I said that I would after we were discussing our first RPG-X experiences.
Title: Re: Accobar: The [Not-So] Full Story [ NOW AVAILABLE ]
Post by: Scott Archer on December 19, 2016, 02:09:44 PM
It seems all the best role-players have fallen off a waterfall at some point in their life!
Title: Re: Accobar: The [Not-So] Full Story [ NOW AVAILABLE ]
Post by: Chris Wilkinson on June 07, 2017, 07:54:08 AM
I know this is a bit of a necro post but I need to say this,

Grizz, I read what you put there and it's an amazing, such an indepth history of one of the best roleplays I ever took a part of. I'll be honest, it was always a pleasure to go to AB: Alpha every week and even when I put a few changes to the map, to make it a little better for our roleplay, it was because there was such a great team behind it.

You should always be immensely proud of what you've accomplished over the years :)