====
CHIEF ENGINEER'S PERSONAL LOG
MCCLINTOCK, CRAIG LTCMDR
PIONEER STATION, ACCOBAR SYSTEM
STARDATE: 91694.97
LOCATION: CHIEF ENGINEER'S OFFICE, DECK 65
====
CLEARANCE LEVEL ALPHA-2 OR ABOVE REQUIRED
====
Deep in the deepest bowels of Pioneer Station, McClintock slumped at his desk in Engineering, rubbing his forehead. The number of padds on his desk had not flucuated - he had barely been able to make a dent in it since his arrival the day before aboard the Hera. Several empty mugs of the strongest raktajino were scattered amongst the civilian repair requests.
He spoke into the air.
"Computer, begin recording." and waited for acknowledgment.
"Chief Engineer's Personal Log, stardate nine-one-six-nine-four-point-nine-seven. I've been on ma' new station for forty-eight hours and already pretty damn exhausted. Didnae' help we cruised in after battle stations, trying ma' damnest to keep things together. The Hera is a fine ship - sleek, but outfitted fur' science and exploration, nae' warfare. Perhaps I can propose some upgrades tae' her tae' Captain Mason, but I've already got ma' hands full." gesturing at his desk as he spoke. "Including defense upgrades fae' Klaw and Thrace needing his wee sensors tweaked."
"Speaking of which, it seems the Captain..Sophia and I hit it off kinda well - already on first name basis! Although tae' be honest I'm nae' sure if I was getting in trouble on ma' first day, or she was just showing me she's as overwhelmed as I am. I sure hope it's the latter."
McClintock rose slowly from his chair and made his way to the replicator, ordering yet another coffee before continuing, sipping between sentences.
"I've served aboard starbases for eight years noo'. I left Starbase 39-Sierra in a wee bit of disrepair, but that due tae' a bloody star going supernova. Minor damage. Pioneer Station's apparently been so lang' without a chief, I dinnae' kin' where' ti' start. I haven't left Engineering since I came aff' the boat - I dinnae' even kin' where my quarters are." he spoke as he stared out of his panoramic window of the system for the first time.
"It seems the crew's been through a lot recently - I can tell jist' by looking at their faces, never mind the mission reports I read. You never know just how much until you move fae' the pan straight into the fire. But I can also tell they're solid as the station. I'm proud ti' be reassigned here, even though it doesn't show yet - that'll come as soon as things get straightened oot' down here."
Turning to his left he saw Lieutenant Archibald doling out the new shift assignments, the floor of Engineering hectic with two-thirds of his staff before him on shift change.
"Archie seems capable enough, a fine officer. We've only just begun together - no doubt though he's done an interstellar job before I got here, but I sense he's a wee bit angry, or maybe overwhelmed. Perhaps he's just sore he didnae' get promoted.."
His coffee consumed, McClintock decided to get out onto the floor and lead a team fitting new power generators for a few hours. Sleep called to him dearly and he would answer soon. He was reminded daily that people depended on him to keep things together - as always - but a tired engineer is a dangerous engineer, even more so the chief since he has to make decisions and provide a role model to his boys.
"Time ti' set things straight. Computer, end log."
====
CHIEF ENGINEER'S PERSONAL LOG
MCCLINTOCK, CRAIG LTCMDR
PIONEER STATION, ACCOBAR SYSTEM
STARDATE: 91714.38
LOCATION: MAIN ENGINEERING, DECK 7, U.S.S. HERA
====
CLEARANCE LEVEL ALPHA-2 OR ABOVE REQUIRED
====
I'm writing this on one o' the few padds still wi' power after Captain Mason ordered Gray Mode. It's nae' every day I cauld' shutdoon' a warp core - it's a good thing we hae' protocols in place for this. There's a silver lining ti' this though - it means the best sleep I've had in days. After I'm done with this I intend ti' kick Lieutenant Archibald awake to tak' over my sentry duty.
With transporters and turbolifts affline, if anybody intends to move around this ship they'll need ti' climb the jeffries tubes, unless Mason says otherwise. Hell, we're brakin' oot' the emergency rations wi' no power. If things get really bad we could a'ways use the shuttles fur' emergency power. But I wonder fit' they're up to on the bridge right now - hopefully a smooth plan ti' get us outta' here. It was a wee bit strange seeing Mason waltz through Engineering as if I weren't there. Either I've already set a foot wrang' or something fishy is going on. Perhaps it's just me' wild imagination. But lately I recall the look in her eye as she took the lift up to the catwalk, and I enjoyed it.
At least wi' all this downtime we might actually hae' a chance ti' catch up nae' only on our sleep but also the repair list as lang' as my arm..
====
CHIEF ENGINEER'S PERSONAL LOG
MCCLINTOCK, CRAIG LTCMDR
PIONEER STATION, ACCOBAR SYSTEM
STARDATE: 91732.68
LOCATION: MESS HALL, DECK 3, U.S.S. HERA
====
CLEARANCE LEVEL ALPHA-2 OR ABOVE REQUIRED
====
I've just been through..the strangest and mast' intense twenty-four hours of ma' career. We never should've beamed aboard that frigate, but we needed the supplies - looking back it stank o' some kinda' trap. The benefit of hindsight eh? Still, it was surprisingly refreshing ti' handle such antiquated machinery. I barely mind' the internal circuitry o' a duotronic computer core, and that was fae' history classes at the Academy!
McClintock yawned wide, figting to stay concious.
Things uh, things got weird fast. I beamed o'er wi' a migraine after being on duty for days, but it got so much mare' worse over there. Like a..miasma hanging o'er me, made it difficult to think let alone work. Science and Medical say the life support systems were sabotaged, but I mind' the environmental controls were nominal. Could be whoever put a virus in filtration did the same to Engineering, giving time for it ti' tak' effect and..change us.
I remember shouting a lot..felt such suspicion to Costello and Perry - I think I thought they were sabotaging ma' repair attempts..crazy. Why would I think that? Then I mind' following Mason, ti' find somebody..and the next thing I know I'm on the ground in the armory holding onto Alicia and Sophia wi' one helluva hangover..
He blinks, eyes drooping heavily.
Maybe..I should end ma' log here..so damn tired. Maybe..I should apologise tae' them both fur' my actions..so embarrased..inhibited as they were..it wisnae' the worst way ti' wake up...
[NO INPUT, AUTOMATIC LOG END]
====
CHIEF ENGINEER'S PERSONAL LOG
MCCLINTOCK, CRAIG LTCMDR
PIONEER STATION, ACCOBAR SYSTEM
STARDATE: 92124.03
LOCATION: SENIOR OFFICER'S QUARTERS, PIONEER STATION
====
CLEARANCE LEVEL ALPHA-2 OR ABOVE REQUIRED
====
Computer, begin personal log, stardate nine-two-one-two-four-point-oh-three. I'll hae' to replace my own carpet..I've been wearing it oot' pacing all night. Running through ma' my mind a million times fit the hell happened a couple days ago. Answers are..elusive.
I cannae' help feeling if that damn bomb in the Promenade didnae' distract me..I might've realized it in time. There was' nae time! But I've had plenty o' time to dig into the computer core fur' those answers. It's obvious some kind'o trojan virus was buried in long-dormant code, along wi' those cursed defensive upgrades. I have tae' wonder fit' else is hiding, lying in wait for a set number o' variables before executing. As soon as the phaser cannons were brought online, it..hijacked key systems, things that are supposed to be impossible - we hae' failsafes fur' this sort'o thing!
That damn explosive crisis just soaked up a' my time. I felt like on cloud nine - so confident after defusing a bloody bomb that would'a ripped a huge hole in Pioneer. Couldnae' let that happen. But after that crisis was averted, I had nae' time tae' properly review those phaser cannons. If that bomb never happened..maybe we wouldnae' have blown up a Klingon ship.
..I blew up a Klingon ship. I pushed the damn button. I killed them all... I [crash]..started a bloody war!
I've doomed us all.
====
CHIEF ENGINEER'S PERSONAL LOG
MCCLINTOCK, CRAIG LTCMDR
PIONEER STATION, ACCOBAR SYSTEM
STARDATE: 92881.05
LOCATION: MAIN ENGINEERING, DECK 65, PIONEER STATION
====
CLEARANCE LEVEL ALPHA-2 OR ABOVE REQUIRED
====
It's times like yesterday when you come face tae' face wi' your own mortality. You grow comfortable and safe onboard a goddamn' space station - some might say complacent - since most people tend tae' think they're bastions of Federation power and strength. Yesterday we didnae' hae' much of either when some kinda' signal pulled an entire damn station into a planet. It's surreal tae' be dictating this right now. Seems that every time I write one o' these, I've stared death in the face and barely scraped through the other side.
It's clear tae' me now that this assignment - this system, this station - is beyond any Starfleet officer's training. I thought Starbase 39 was bad for being on the Neutral Zone, but that was a cake-walk compared tae' this gig. Jings. I can barely wrap my mind around events since I joined up here. But it's good tae' be needed. Really needed. I was seriously tested as an engineer yisterday. We're still licking oor' wounds and repairing the damage, but the relief teams are a godsend. At least now I can take a shift aff' and gae' myself five minutes to put doon' the fact that we survived impossible odds.
I looked among ma' staff, and saw in their eyes the fear, and the feeling o' their mortality. It's such relief to see the opposite fae' them now we made it through the wringer. And made history doin' it. Command's gonnae' want tae' triple-check the logs I'll be sending - I doubt anybody ootside' o' the system will believe them. I know I didnae' when I got called tae' Ops. But screw 'em. We did the impossible..and we survived.
====
LETTER OF CONDOLENCES
MCCLINTOCK, CRAIG LTCMDR
PIONEER STATION, ACCOBAR SYSTEM
STARDATE: 92900.39
LOCATION: CHIEF ENGINEER'S OFFICE, DECK 65
====
PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL
====
As his superior officer, it is with sorrow and regret I must inform you of the tragic death of your son, Lieutenant Archibald Jenson. According to reports filed by my colleague Lieutenant Commander Alicia Costello, (Chief of Security), he was ambushed by an unknown number of assailants, and fatally stabbed by a ceremonial [REDACTED] blade, most likely wielded by a [REDACTED]. We know this by our subsequent investigation in honour of our fallen colleague and friend, and your son. It shames me to report to you that while we have apprehended the [REDACTED] who instigated the attack, we are, at this time of writing no closer to discovering why Archibald was so brutally slain.
It also shames me to write that I was not with him at his final moments, but know he was not alone. He passed away surrounded by our crew, including medical personnel - his friends - attempting their very best to save his life. While I cannot imagine the grief you must be facing, know that I will always carry the regret that I was not able to somehow help your son when he needed me the most. Lieutenant Archibald served on this station before I was even re-assigned as the station's Chief Engineer. He was and continued to be my right-hand in maintaining the station as Assistant Chief Engineer, instrumental in helping me smooth the transition between stations. I have no hesitation in writing that Archibald was one of the finest engineers I have had the honour - and the privilege - of working with.
As such, it is with that privilege that I posthumously recommend Lieutenant Archibald for the Starfleet Medal of Honour.
According to engineering logs, one of Archibald's final tasks as an engineer was to refit and repair the promenade signage on Pioneer Station. It is with utmost sincerity that I state he did a meticulous job, a standard which your son always aspired and achieved to. When I walk along the promenade, continuing the duties of your son in his honour, I will remember the fine man and Starfleet officer he was, and I will remember the outstanding work he did in the name of Starfleet, and the United Federation of Planets.
Once again, my very deepest condolences to your loss.
-Craig McClintock, LTCMDR
Chief Engineer, Pioneer Station
====
====
CHIEF ENGINEER'S PERSONAL LOG
MCCLINTOCK, CRAIG LTCMDR
PIONEER STATION, ACCOBAR SYSTEM
STARDATE: 93896.89
LOCATION: SENIOR OFFICERS QUARTERS, U.S.S. HELIA
====
CLEARANCE LEVEL ALPHA-2 OR ABOVE REQUIRED
====
This is Lieutenant Commander Craig McClintock, and - if you're reading this - ma' Last Will and Testament is attached tae' this log entry. This could be the last day o' my life. A lot's happened in the period o' my last personal log - I guess I'm oot' o' time, and the departmental logs'll hae' to do.
If I close my eyes and concentrate really hard, I can sense them. All o' them..the Borg. They're part o' me now, a sacrifice I tell myself is for the greater good, for Pioneer and Accobar, but that's nothing but lies I try tae' tell myself. Ever since Maria Vega sicced her attack drones on me, I haven't been the same...likely never will again, now that Clarke is through with me. I did it a'..because I will hae' my vengence. All I've been able to focus on is the myriad ways o' ending her life once and for all, and it dawned on me I'd do anything tae' achieve that..single-minded goal.
It's certainly nae' the Starfleet thing tae' do, and if the brass ever cottoned on I'd be drummed oot' so hard even the drones couldnae' help me. But I'll use every tool I got, and the drones are jist' another hyperspanner in ma' toolkit. I'll become their hive mind, tak' awa' Vega's pets and turn them on her, in the most violent ways. It's all I got tae' live for, now.
Another reason I'm okay wi' punching my ticket is...is I'm nae sure who I am anymore. What I am. I know I'm nae' the same man I was, nae after what Vega did tae' me, and certainly nae' fit I endured under Clarke. I'm different, although I'm nae sure if that's for better or worse. And I'm scared tae' find oot. Perhaps it's fur' the best...
I want the record tae' be straight, because if predictions come oot' true and I don't make it...I want to be honest, at least wi' myself, before it's too late.
...end personal log.