Keeping the spirit of Asteroid Field alive, an interview with Grizz - the excellent brains behind a beloved series. She answers questions about Asteroid Field's past, present, and future ... along with a few tidbits of unexpected dialogue. It's absolutely riveting so be sure to read the whole thing!
What were your fears transitioning from Asteroid Base to Asteroid Field?
The story, the characters, the map, the timeslot... everything scared me going in to Asteroid Field. I was tempted to destroy Asteroid Base: Alpha and just move the AB characters and story over to another map/station. But at the end of the day, I already had the AF template in waiting - it just needed updating for the TLO series. Another big concern was the style of storytelling which changed quite suddenly. I almost thought this was going to be a problem when a member quit the SRP halfway through the pilot episode. The increase in focus on politics and scientific research at the start of the series wasn't for anyone. But we regained balance over time.
The Cult of Romulus, G'rath, Accobarians, Halkonians. Is there going to be a surprise around every possible corner?
Why shouldn't there be? By my own admission, there have been plenty of predictable twists and turns through Asteroid Base & Asteroid Field. But then there have been moments when I have even tried to surprise myself with what I have been willing to do. I have written myself in to corners in the process, but it makes for a more interesting story. Even if it wasn't planned from the beginning, I think the reveal of XO Walter Peirce as an antagonist was my favourite. There haven't been so many surprises in the Accobarian/Halkonian storyline as there have been sudden reveals, but even then, expect the unexpected - as it should be.
What are some of your favourite moments and what are some of the moments you regret from Asteroid Field?
I have too many favourite moments. The signing of the Taylor Peace Agreement. The final trip on the Athena with the Asteroid Base crew. The Judgement of Paris cliffhanger. The Kingdom of the Heavens Halkonian reveal. The Sickbay explosion & aftermath. The protectors of the Accobar System gathering in the anniversary special. The Special Sunday Roleplay.
Regrets? Not having as many character-specific episodes as I would have liked. Giving Renee Hampton a time limit. Having to write Mark Chaplain out. Having to answer the next question.
What prompted the sudden departure before Dead of Night Express?
I needed my many hours devoted to RPG-X back for a while. Family, work, a surprise girlfriend and other personal events prompted the necessity to surrender the SRP slot. As you can imagine, although it was sudden, it certainly wasn't an easy decision. I had only just been thanking everyone for making it to the one year mark.
Just how many stories are there in play at one given time in Asteroid Field?
That depends on the given time. Generally there will be at least two main threads running throughout a season. But then you have the character-specific stories which members bring to the roleplay themselves. I've been so impressed by some of these, that they have transitioned in to becoming a featured story arc.
Most writers invest their souls into their stories. Tell me about your experience and feelings writing Asteroid Field.
Whenever I complete a storyline, I retreat to my ice palace and sing Let It Go in a magical gown. I can't explain it any better than that - at least, not any better than I have over the last few years.
What can we expect to experience in the next chapter of Asteroid Field?
I want to make it clear that as far as I am concerned, Asteroid Field is not a completed story. There is an endgame and until we reach it, I won't be done. If an SRP slot opens up before the end of the year, ST: AF will be back on there if the interest is there. As for what a continuation would include - a revised version of the second half of Season Three. Due to the events of the 'goodbye' roleplay, there will be a time jump. Nothing too dramatic, just a few months. But the aftermath of Hobus will have set in, Captain Mason will be established as Commanding Officer and we will take it from there. We would be looking at progressing further with the Halkonian mystery - in suitably dramatic fashion.
How do you feel every time someone provides praise or critiscism for the series?
I look to see how I can act on it. I can't sit back and just accept praise and criticism (positive/negative) without looking to see how I can improve in certain areas or continue delivering what members want from an SRP runner. I would rather somebody tell me there's a problem or there's something that they don't like instaed of just sitting on it and becoming less and less likely to turn up each week. I have only once been anything close to offended by criticism, but that was due to how it was delivered - and it is very much documented.
Approximately how many character deaths do you imagine per day?
I don't know where I got a reputation for killing characters. I think that Telex offed more of her crew in one season than I have in over six years. I wanted to make it quite clear that the Accobar System is a dangerous place where people can and will die for the wrong reasons. Killing a character can be a very lazy exit for them - but I still think it can be done extremely well and bring in the surprises. I don't want people to feel safe, as evidenced by the Sickbay explosion in Asteroid Field. Anyone could have died in those two episodes. I think the potential death count was at it's highest at that point.
Finally, How often do you change storylines that you've already written out?
Storylines have changed months, weeks and days ahead of important episodes taking place. Some have even changed mid-RP to adapt to certain situations. It's not always welcome, but often necessary.
Do you have anything you'd like to say in closing?
I won't pretend otherwise - Asteroid Field may never continue - an SRP slot may not open up in time, which would actually be a good thing indeed as TLO will have a strong roleplaying line-up. If a slot does open up, it may not get the votes. Even if a slot does open up and the interest is still there - another factor may prevent it being submitted at all. I will maintain that the story is not done, but I do not know how it will reach it's conclusion. I have intent to try my hand at further short stories, set within the interim. But the main story won't be touched until it's chance at an RPG-X continuation has diminished.
For now, my status at TLO remains at retired, and I wish Andzzy, SFC3 & Andromeda all the luck in the world with their new SRP endeavors and thank you all for your continued support.
I'm Grizz and I endorse this message.