The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Star Trek: Asteroid Field => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Season 3 Archive => Topic started by: Grizz on June 29, 2014, 01:18:59 PM

Title: SRP Update - Change is Coming - 29/06/14
Post by: Grizz on June 29, 2014, 01:18:59 PM
(https://last-outpost.net/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/AF.png)

"THIS IS IMPORTANT. DON'T SCREW IT UP!"

This is the line that greets me upon opening the word document titled "Season Four" within the Asteroid Field dropbox. Why is the planned fourth season of Asteroid Field so important? Well, remember all that stuff in the 3.5 trailer which hasn't materialised? All of that stuff was pushed back after Criminula came to me with a much better idea for the remainder of the third season. To put it neatly, Season Four will be the climax of the Accobar/Halkonia storyline which has permeated the entire run since the first season of Star Trek: Asteroid Base. Incidentally, it will be the seventh season of the arc, falling in line alongside the longest running series of Trek. So that's nice.

While I don't want to put too much focus on the future as we enter the final stage of the third season, I thought it was worth sharing a few things. At present, I'm planning a shorter, heavily serialized run to fire through the story - which will also bring us back to round numbers in the grand scheme of things. A condensed, seven episode season - a consolidated grand finale for an otherwise slow-burning storyline, while bringing the episode count of the Accobar series to 120. It can be done. It probably will be done. That's still 14 hours of storytelling - but it's not without it's concerns.

I'm not entirely sold on the current timeslot. There have been a lot of AFKs, a lot of absences, a lot of latecomers, and some members who have regularly turned up in the chatbox thirty minutes after the roleplay has begun asking whether there is an SRP on or not. It has all added up to a rather disruptive return. I'm also absolutely conscious of the inevitable clash with Doctor Who in two months time - after seeing how many on our roster follow the show last year. That show has been a thorn in my RPG-X side since 2008. Even I will have to use every ounce of willpower to tear myself away from live Peter Capaldi. The BBC aside, I still think it's a subject worth bringing up for discussion. Does the new timeslot work for you? Is it awkward? Would you be open to changing to a Friday or a Sunday?

Looking further ahead, the fourth season will also lead us towards seven years in the Accobar System. After the success of last year's celebratory roleplay, despite a few last minute changes, it would be nice to come up with something to celebrate the milestone. It's far too early to speculate what it might be. Though I wouldn't expect it to be as ambitious as last time. We've had the big reunion. The big party. The big throwback to times gone by. Something different may be in order. Or not.

Will this mark the end of it all? Well, it's not for me to say what will happen come the end of the year and long-term planning rarely goes to - well - plan. But if the interest should still be here, then a fifth season with a clean slate would be a very tempting prospect indeed.
Title: Re: SRP Update - Change is Coming - 29/06/14
Post by: Martin Thompson on June 29, 2014, 05:12:44 PM
Thanks for the update.

As far as time slots go, it is indeed a pain to find a suitable one. So far asteroid base/field has always managed to find a sweet spot there.
For me personally Fridays are not an option. Sundays are also a lot harder then Saturdays and I already had to quit one SRP (Beyond Infinity) because Ijust couldn't work its Sunday slot. I think we'll just have to figure this one out as we go.

If i had to chose between Doctor Who or Professor Fox, I'd go for the latter, seeing as he won't be on Netflix the next day...

Title: Re: SRP Update - Change is Coming - 29/06/14
Post by: Mutatio Nomen on June 29, 2014, 08:15:57 PM
QuoteDoes the new timeslot work for you? Is it awkward?

Admittedly, 1830 BST is a smidge awkward since it is primetime dinner time. Some weeks I'm lucky and have that wrapped up, but sometimes I have to bail out entirely or go AFK during the SRP. Criminal, I know. If it were in the same timeslot as last year's, there would be zero issues.

QuoteBut if the interest should still be here, then a fifth season with a clean slate would be a very tempting prospect indeed.

In which case, allow me to be the angel/devil on your shoulder, depending on how you view that prospect. :P McClintock likes it here.