The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Star Trek: Asteroid Field => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Writer's Corner => Topic started by: Grizz on January 12, 2015, 05:18:16 PM

Title: I, Rogan & Planning a New Season
Post by: Grizz on January 12, 2015, 05:18:16 PM
When it came to creating a new Word document for the Season Five episode guide, I looked back on recent episodes and noticed that the last non-arc episode (within a season) was back in June. (http://www.last-outpost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6994.0.html) I thought it was time to prove in a way that I could still come up with some reasonably decent ideas for standalone episodes. So the first thing I did was decide that the tired holodeck-malfunction style rip-off episode was the way to go. Though I'm reasonably pleased that it took seven years to resort to it.

Although if you were wondering (you probably weren't), the only "planned" parts of the first episode were Mason's opening remarks (with her also laying out the conference room table just as she did on her very first episode in command) and the final scripted sequence. From the moment Mason left Rogan in command, it was all improvisation with a throwaway excuse for the malfunction... which we may or may not mention again. It was left to you guys, with Andzzy as the lead, to decide what would happen next. After the last three, very serious season openers, it was time to throw in a bit of fluff for fun. So I'm happy it worked out.

Going back to the idea of standalone episodes, the first half of the season is very story-of-the-week in that regard. Even the early two-parter is very different on both weeks. I thought it was important to run the idea home that the Red Dawn & Halkonian arcs were wrapped up and we could do whatever we liked again. Though there will still be the odd mention here and there, and the post-Hobus galaxy continues to develop. There will also be a few hints as to what lurks within the mid-season finale. Though I can't tell you any of it. Martin will be restricting my Google Drive access before I can even hit Post. Lets just say it's something that has been bubbling under the surface for a while, but hasn't come to fruition until now.

Though I'm happy to divulge a little more in to what role The Director will be filling. I've billed her as the new supervillain as we haven't really had that label attached to anybody since G'rath was stabbed through his blue heart. When writing the scripts for her, she started off as the evil counterpart of Amber Munro. But has taken on a character of her own which I'm looking forward to seeing played out much later in the season - though the odd appearance prior to then isn't ruled out. It was time to have a through-and-through nasty piece of work with a grand plan to bring wreck and ruin to all. Well, it isn't quite that straightforward. But she has had her hands in a bit of everything over the years - and was even quite recently meddling in an IA matter which has since gone unmentioned by the character affected by it.

Her scheme includes parts which I've been waiting to introduce since the scuppered third season of Asteroid Base. The title of the finale will be sitting in my Dropbox for months until it's truly game-changing nature is revealed. Although, at this rate, Criminula is going to be the first to set eyes upon it.

But lets not think about such horrific things and look ahead to a twisted robbery taking place aboard Pioneer this week. Stay tuned for more details on The Doppelgänger Heist!
Title: Re: I, Rogan & Planning a New Season
Post by: Mutatio Nomen on January 14, 2015, 01:58:57 PM
Quote from: Grizz on January 12, 2015, 05:18:16 PMlook ahead to a twisted robbery taking place aboard Pioneer this week. Stay tuned for more details on The Doppelgänger Heist!

Oh dear. :/

In a related note, I apologize publicly for my absence in E01 - my Windoze computer wouldn't boot, so I had to scrap it and re-install from a backup. Delightful.