A new month is upon us and we are fast approaching this week's mid-season finale.
I must say that this update is more of an apology and a U-turn of last month's report. In February, I reported that the state of the SRP at the time had me seeking the end of the series. Almost immediately after that was posted, SRP performance improved drastically - to it's most successful run of episodes in over a year. Attendance has been rock solid and the only postponement was due to my own unavailability one day. Thank you all for that - I was able to report this success at the latest cabinet meeting and the two episodes since have been just as great. I was quick to misjudge, which led me to re-evaluate.
The Director arc has been taking shape in the weeks between then and now, and it has grown somewhat. Her ultimate aim is still the same, and the events of the final two episodes this season have been locked in for some time. But a limited sixth season would not accompany the long term story - so as it stands, this is no longer an option. Providing the second half of this season performs just as well as the first, the next season is likely to be a full order to accommodate the expanded story and ideally, extensive character development.
Consider my previous update retracted. The SRP will continue to run based off it's performance and longevity of it's characters. I have made the mistake of jumping to conclusions before and it doesn't serve the series well. So I apologize for that.
To make up for it, I wanted to deliver an early preview at the second half of the season. I aim for there to be a full trailer / promotional release through Twitch at some point during the break - but let me ramble for a few moments.
It would be easy to give a number of things away at this stage when it comes to The Director: her goals, who works for her and who she works for and so on. The supervillains of the Accobar system had have their stories limited in a way. Sel'tar wanted Accobar. The Halkonians wanted Accobar. Peirce wanted to hurt those within Accobar. G'rath was the exception. He was the Frank Underwood of the Asteroid Base Universe, before Frank Underwood even existed... and that meant larger ramifications. But we never saw his would-be dictatorship from his perspective.
That's going to change. For a special episode, Asteroid Field will go back in time and relive the events of the Asteroid Base, second season finale 'When the Sky Falls' - from the perspective of The Director, herself - and learn how she was tied to the dramatic events which unfolded above and around Earth as Amber Munro and the rebel fleet forced the corrupt President out of office and clashed with the First Fleet. It will also be the first time that we see G'rath and his staff and they face the end of the line.
These events did play a part in shaping The Director (her actual name will also be revealed for that episode) and who she became - as well as what she is trying to achieve now. Her actions will play a part in shaking up the Alpha Quadrant and throwing the SRP in to it's next major storyline. Certain characters will learn of her plans before the big reveal - but by the time the rest of the crew at large come to understand Dark Star - it will already be much too late.
Before all of that, though, be sure to make a prompt arrival for the second half of Martin's fabulous mid-season finale!
I would like to leave you with a final reminder. Feedback on the SRP is the second most important thing that you could give me - beyond your attendance. Please do keep leaving votes in the polls and drop a comment or two if you can. The discussion threads are there to genuinely discuss recent events and speculate on the future. The more you guys are talking about the SRP - the more I know that it's worth both your time and mine. Thank you to the regular posters - it's always good to hear your thoughts, good and bad.
That's it, one and all - return to your daily routines!
Grizz
QuoteConsider my previous update retracted
People power everybody! Woo! :D
QuoteFor a special episode, Asteroid Field will go back in time and relive the events of the Asteroid Base
So the second half of this season we will have a flashback episode, much like "Fox and the Hounds" I imagine. That one turned out pretty good, and a refreshing change of scenery and setting. Then we have Q, god only knows what to expect for that episode (did you see what I did there ;)). After last and this weeks Romulan plot, we will also see a totally different Rom on our station. Finally we have an exiting 2 part season finale with plot elements so fundamental we need a full-run 6th season to work out the story.
Do I coun't 5 episodes there? I think I did, we already got extended by one extra, that makes 13 this season... or did you plan on an even longer run? Ms. "I'm going to blur this (http://i.imgur.com/5qiQP60.png) picture so hard no-one can read what it sais even if you apply a deblurring algorithm on it"? (trust me, I've tried)
Enough RPG-X goodness here to last for another while I imagine.
So as the lady said, your thoughts are important for the SRP, as the story itself is boosted by reviews, comments and of course future speculation. So what do you all think about the next run of episodes? Are you looking forward to them? I know I am.
I can let you in on some of that list.
At that point, Episode 5 was Pinkston Showdown before an episode was added and it briefly became Episode 6 prior to being moved to the second half. Episode 8 was the original version of Personal Responsibility. Episode 10's no longer exists.
It was called Trouble in Tyrella Town - which is still a title I'm determined to get in :P Now it's actually the flashback episode.