(SFMBE)
Hello everybody! I'm Quantum Novae, but you can call me Kevin (although it is not my real name).
Even if I don't participate in the community, I play RPG-X for years with very few people. My dream is to create a community of RPG-X for my country, because it seems that here no one knows the existence of this game and all Star Trek rpgs are done with emails, sites and chats...
However, I like this community and I often follow its content (Tlo_retirement is the prettiest map ever) so I want to give my contribution to you, because I think it's much more useful to you than to me.
So, days after days I finally complete the external full revision of XUE. :)
Notes:
A) The revision starts with a genuine installation of Star Trek RPG-X Ultimate Edition 2014-11-20
B) After that, I added some pk3 files which I consider valid for roleplaying (Here the list http://pastebin.com/y8yr7i0j )
C) I know that files in RPG-X2 directory overwrite some settings in BaseEF, so for the next version of XUE I think it's good to put maps in BaseEF and models, retextures, music packs, etc in RPG-X2. Moreover, some of these files are used only in some roleplaying, so you could save some Mb by putting these pk3 only if needed.
D) All fixes keep the original pk3 unchanged, so there is no violation of the licenses.
E) I suggest to avoid minor patch because in my opinion I think that the utility of an all-in-one installer is to simplify the life of the users. I saw XUE, XSE, patch, patch J, and many many many version numbers. In my view an installer is sufficient, whether there will be an update, the main setup can be easily replaced.
Fixed errors: Kevin_fixes.pk3 on RPG-X2 directory http://www.mediafire.com/download/bsdh054h68c2asj/Kevin_fixes.pk3
1) Max loadable pk3: about 200
Causes: There's this limit because the map "Starbase 45" have textures that don't reach some prerequisites (height and width in power of 2), and when you try to open sb45b7 or other maps (e.g. rpg_academyv1) with more than 200-210 pk3 it results in a z_malloc error.
Solutions: Few textures of Starbase 45 have been resized. Some of these textures were about 2000x2000 or more so I have reduce them to 1024 or 512. However, the visual effect is almost imperceptible.
2) Missing textures on Starbase 45
Causes: Mushrooms object, textures of wall plate in brigs, pylons and core in the fusion reactor deck are missed.
Solution: Using dichotomous search I found the missing textures in some non-RPG maps.
3) Dragon Class
Causes: If you put dragon Class map in BaseEF, several other maps end in a "Not a JPEG file" error.
Solution: Since the maps limit problem was removed, I add DragonClass-0.3B as extra map. As written on FileFront "This map causes a corrupt JPG error on several other maps". Cause was simple: the coder had BMP images and he renamed the textures from bmp to jpg without conversion, but changing file extension.
These maps now work: http://pastebin.com/e4MvXiMJ
4) Original game doesn't allow a distant vision
Causes: Few maps have the capacity to create a visual link from two places, for example between bridge and main engineering, but the player must be in a short range to be able to see the other place. These maps are:
Cassini_beta3
Rpg_relativity
Uss_dauntless_1-2
Scav-pro-malon
V2-poseidon-a
Uss_poseidon-a
ncv-senmerv
ctf_ancient_bajor
Solution: This trick uses a portal, but the shader of common/portal has AlphaGen portal 256. I increase the value to 2048. Here some examples. http://imgur.com/a/sO0C8#0
5) Doorbells on Cassini_beta3
Causes: Missing textures
Solution: I was unable to find the right texture, so I replace them with a general doorbell.
6) White walls on Rpg_modas (Station Modas II) and USS Rapier
Causes: In hmconfig.cfg, the variable r_overBrightBits is 1
Solution: In the future, next version of XUE must have on its autoexec.cfg r_overBrightBits "0"
7) Rpo_defiant and strp_defiant: doorbells and doors
Causes: With a genuine installation of XUE doorbells in rpo_defiant and strp_defiant (and doors in strp_defiant) are missed.
Solutions: A- (doors) Replace in the next version of XUE rpo_defiant.pk3 with rpo_defiant-maps.pk3. This new pk3 also contains the uss_hyperion map, probably the best Defiant class map in RPG-X.
B- (doorbells) The missing texture is included in Kevin_fixes.pk3
8 ) Missing circuits in Type 9 and Type 18
Causes: The textures is identical to that found in the original game (Biopak2) but the directory wasn't the right one.
Solution: The texture with the right folder is included in Kevin_fixes.pk3
9) Camera error on Rpg_Daedalus
Causes: The presence of Voyager influences the shaders of Daedalus
Solutions: Instead of removing the map Voyager, I add a shader in Kevin_fixes.pk3. Both maps work perfectly.
10) Hm_vync missing texture
Causes: Missing texture
Solution: Right texture found in an holomatch map.
So... Here ends the full revision of XUE. Despite all my efforts I failed to find a curved texture in Washington-C map in shuttlebay and there are some errors that I cannot remove. For example, I receive Signal 11 error when I try to go on 2nd flood on rpg_command, and I crash when I use the tricorder in messhall on Station Vanderbilt (fault of the radar).
I hope you enjoyed it! ;)
I'd just like to clear up a misconception:
The base clients are always updated with the latest revisions before patch installers are released, so anyone who downloads RPG-X the day of a patch will already have the changes included. (1.2.J is the only exception to this because the patch itself was an exception.) Patch installers are only released so that people who have already installed the game don't have to download the full game installer again to receive the updates. Ideally, I'd create a tool that would fetch patch packages from TLO's FTP and auto-extract them, but I don't have the knowledge to do this myself. Basically, suggestion E isn't happening.
Otherwise, this is excellent work. If you don't mind, I'd like to include this in the next update.
Sure!
I'd also be interested in getting the ERP_Defiant map from you. Last I checked, it had been lost to time.
EDIT: Nevermind, found it myself. I think I'm going to retexture it.
Mmm... I don't remember the source, so I give you my own pk3.
Here erp_defiant and erp_defiant_bd: http://www.mediafire.com/download/17m6yeueyv8c2kl/Erp_Defiant.pk3
In addition: Rpo_defiant-maps: rpo_defiant and uss_hyperion http://www.mediafire.com/download/bhda5z0ac40qbpy/rpo_defiant-maps.pk3
EDIT: Never mind xD
Hey there Kevin.
Very nice review, thourough evaluation of bugs in maps etc. Thank you!
I have one comment. You mentioned that when using portals, the vision is limited. This is indeed because the game "blurs" portal brushes when players get further from it. You mentioned this was the case for Uss_dauntless_1-2. And you also mentioned the following solution:
Solution: This trick uses a portal, but the shader of common/portal has AlphaGen portal 256. I increase the value to 2048.
I am the author of USS_Dauntless_1-2 and I use a custom portal shader on all my portals already which fixes this, so it shouldn't be a problem on that map.
Anyway, these fixes look great an verry thorough. Especially the z_malloc errors for when using non-power of 2 textures (it is possible, just not recommended).
Hi Martin! Yes, I noted that USS Dauntless don't need to be fixed, however the list I wrote was about all maps that have that function.
Oh, and now I know you are the author of Dauntless... When I try to spawn some characters around a deck, after some copies the spawned characters become invisible (but I get blocked by the presence of the clone when I try to walk). I tried this on another maps, like Poseidon B and there it works.
Quote from: Quantum Novae on March 05, 2015, 06:08:33 AMWhen I try to spawn some characters around a deck, after some copies the spawned characters become invisible (but I get blocked by the presence of the clone when I try to walk). I tried this on another maps, like Poseidon B and there it works.
This is true, I have been getting that problem myself in the past aswell.
One theory is have is that I think it is due to the high amount of entities used by the map. When npcs are spawned, every npc adds an enitity i beleive (not 100% sure) and because the map is near its limits, this causes the models to disappear.
Another theory i have is that due to the maps sucky vis partition (read: none whatsoever) too much is being rendered all at once which causes models to bug somehow. The entire map hasnt been designed on vis partitioning at all, which makes the map render almost everything everywhere (older computers also have trouble with the map FPS wise). Fixing it would be a major job so i never bothered with it.
I am working on a complete rebuild of the map (slowly but steadilly) which will hopefully fix all problems with the current one. I am designing it with correct vis partitioning in mind (nothing or almost nothing is rendered outside of the room or hallway the player is in) so i hope this will fix a lot of the performance issues on the current map. Check out a few early screenshots on my blog www.withmartin.net (http://www.withmartin.net).
Thanks a lot, it was my last error report xD