The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Star Trek: Asteroid Field => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Writer's Corner => Topic started by: Grizz on March 18, 2015, 07:18:25 PM

Title: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Grizz on March 18, 2015, 07:18:25 PM
(https://last-outpost.net/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FhydsfEC.png&hash=c3cfaaea2ea1c387cdcdf730bec51fbdf34ff978)

As Star Trek: Asteroid Base approached it's end at The Last Outpost, I teased a storyline which was going to play out across a new season. However, when the series ended and Asteroid Field took it's place, the ideas was dropped. It is something I have been wary of and getting the scale of events yet to play out will be something of a balancing act.

The Dark Star storyline is a multi-series arc, comparable to the Illuminati & G'rath storyline of Asteroid Base. While most storylines have been confined to the Accobar System, or the Tyrella Sector, Dark Star is an ongoing event which will have repercussions across the Alpha Quadrant for some time to come. By the end of this fifth season of Asteroid Field, you will know who the major players are and what the stakes are. While The Director's role is prominent throughout the storyline, her part is simply that of a catalyst for what's really lurking around the corner.

To help in enveloping the scope of the storyline, Asteroid Field will feature new episodes from brand new points of view. You will be tasked with playing new sets of characters, progressing through 'mini-arcs' as part of the larger story. One week you may find yourself on a Klingon cruiser, while the next you could be serving the Office of the President - then off to an entirely different Starfleet crew! Your primary characters will of course continue to be as such, and these mini-arcs will regularly overlap, but expect to get away from Accobar much more often in the months ahead.

When the true nature of Operation: Dark Star is revealed, you will probably know why I have put this off. It's not something to throw in on a whim - it's very important that the execution is satisfying. I trust that the concept will be appealing to some, while others may be initially put off by the prospect.

The Dark Star reveal will take place in the penultimate episode of the season, and there will be immediate repercussions going in to the finale. Compared to previous seasons, this isn't a finale to wrap up the season's storylines - but rather set up the Sixth Season, while the arc will be put in to full swing. However, this set up won't be without it's changes and consequences for our characters. At this stage in the game, it's important to keep things feeling fresh and different. So while we may be inhabiting other characters for certain sections of the new season, Pioneer's crew will also find themselves adjusting to new surroundings in one way or another.

Obviously I can't mention the actual threat of Dark Star. But it's big. Like, really big. This goes beyond the Halkonian threat or the Illuminati threat. Speaking of which, there will be some additional pay off to both of those storylines. I've already mentioned the flashback episode from President G'rath's time in office (don't worry - you won't need to know the backstory if you weren't in Asteroid Base)... but there will also be aspects from the Accobi / Halkonian arcs coming back in to play, including some returnees - perhaps returning under surprising circumstances. One in particular has been a long time coming. Many of you can probably guess who. This is something of a culmination of everything Asteroid Field has done to date. From the Taylor Peace Treaty to the events of Federation Day - it will all count for something by the end of this storyline.

There are some major changes in these final five episodes of the current season, and as ever, there are no guarantees that everyone will make it to the finish line - whether it be in this season or the next. Some might not even be with us after the first episode back---*muffled*




There will be some accompanying, redundant promotional material for the storyline - as usual - so I'm looking to have another live Twitch reveal for a little trailer to kick things off. Because Asteroid Field always needs a trailer, right? No Lorde or Jetta, this time. No vocals for Telex to spam in the shoutbox... unless I just set my music folder on a loop for 30 minutes. But to that end, I'll be broadcasting the reveal on Saturday 28th March at the usual Asteroid Field timeslot (18.30 GMT). Right here: http://www.twitch.tv/TLO_Grizz

All accompanying materials will then of course be available here on the boards. So stay tuned for further details and of course, the April return date!

Grizz
Title: Re: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Martin Thompson on March 19, 2015, 05:39:54 PM
Can't wait for the big reveal. Sounds like you have a hell of storyline (again) planned out for us NEXT season. I for one am really happy to see more episodes of this SRP! I do hope that everyone else is enjoying them equally. There has been very little activity on the forum side of RPG-X and I would like to see an increase in that, but aslong as people are enjoying themselves ingame, which is the most important thing, it does genuinely add to the experience to contribute on the forums aswell.

Quote... but there will also be aspects from the Accobi / Halkonian arcs coming back in to play, including some returnees - perhaps returning under surprising circumstances. One in particular has been a long time coming. Many of you can probably guess who.

I've been wrong in the past so I will keep the wild guesses to a minimum here: is this character a female of significant influence? Oh wait, a 'yes' as the answer to that question still leaves us with 4-ish possibilities.

In the mean while, I promised you guys I would post a bit about how i got to the storyline of the past 2 episodes, I have been very very busy this week (this time for real, not like, "I am too lazy to do something busy" but actual "I have a deadline" busy) so I havn't gotten around to it. I am still aspiring to write a bit about it, and while I'm at it, share it with everyone.

As for the rest of the episodes in THIS season, we've already seen a bit of what is too come
Quoteand as ever, there are no guarantees that everyone will make it to the finish line - whether it be in this season or the next. Some might not even be with us after the first episode back---*muffled*
. Which leaves the question, who else is going to die this season? Or could it be that, maybe, just maybe, death is not the only answer?
Title: Re: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Grizz on March 26, 2015, 12:40:51 PM
Twitch reveal postponed due to unforeseen circumstances. It may no longer be required as a result.
Title: Re: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Martin Thompson on March 26, 2015, 04:11:28 PM
Quote from: Grizz on March 26, 2015, 12:40:51 PM
Twitch reveal postponed due to unforeseen circumstances. It may no longer be required as a result.

It's always a rollercoaster ride with you Grizz.
Title: Re: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Grizz on March 26, 2015, 04:24:07 PM
I wish it wasn't. But my cardiovascular system got in the way.
Title: Re: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Grizz on March 29, 2015, 06:23:35 PM
President G'rath, Renee Hampton, Nathaniel Fox, Denara Clarke & Devlin Marks are among the returnees featured in this Dark Star Arc trailer...


...not to mention Gaila in a Starfleet uniform...
...as Star Trek: Asteroid Field returns April 11...

With Season Five, Episode Nine: 'The Accobi Resurgence'
Title: Re: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Martin Thompson on March 30, 2015, 03:58:30 AM
... and in between all that action, there is also time for a bit of drama, right off the bat...

Title: Re: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Grizz on March 30, 2015, 04:57:38 AM
That is quite the thing - and also gives Telex some new vocals.
Title: Re: SRP Update: Dark Star Revealed (Not Really)
Post by: Baron on March 30, 2015, 12:47:19 PM
Very nice ^^