The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Star Trek: Daedalus => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Archives => Topic started by: Klaw on February 06, 2016, 04:04:16 PM

Title: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Klaw on February 06, 2016, 04:04:16 PM
This is QUITE important for Daedalus, please take it seriously.

So, This week's episode was postponed because only 2 people (not counting myself) showed up.

This is the third episode IN A ROW that has been postponed for this reason.

So this is where we stand right now: I am looking for 100% feedback from everyone that's currently signed on the roster, and from anyone outside the series - your feedback is also welcomed.

What I want to do is try to figure out why attendance is so hit and miss. and if it has something to do with the series - I'd like to open a dialog and try to figure out a way to improve deficiencies.

So my questions are as follows:

Do you take part in Daedalus? If not, why?

Do you find the story intriguing? if not, why?

What have you noticed that's outstanding about the series?

What deficiencies have you noticed about the series?

Are there story elements that have left you confused?

Are there story elements that you wish I would just end?

Overall, do you find your experience enjoyable?


Would finding a new timeslot help make Daedalus easier to attend?

Please, feel free to answer any and all of these questions either below, or in a PM. (or if you wish to remain anonymous, I'm sure a proxy could be reached - might I suggest Scott Archer or Telex Ferra)

Also, this is an open dialog! Feel free to ask me questions, and to offer suggestions, and to discuss the series with me and everybody else here.

Once a reasonable amount of time passes, I'll see what we've got - and determine a possible date for episode 7's reschedule/

Thank you ALL in advance! and bare in mind, all I want to do is just improve your experiences with Daedalus.
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Shoot on February 06, 2016, 04:44:50 PM
1. I do take part in Daedalus now, and in future aswell.


2. I find the story really intriguing, and looking forward to every episode on Saturdays.


3. I have seen that this series is outstanding for me about the storyline being in the 22nd century, which I am keen to learn about.


4. --  I do not understand the question :D


5. No.


6. No, for god's sake, no


7. YES! Of Course!
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Scott Archer on February 07, 2016, 02:06:53 PM
Do you take part in Daedalus? If not, why?
Yes, I do try to and I try to make sure that I am on time on the occasions that I can make it.
Despite this effort, I am often late or I have to take time out in the first 10-15 minutes due to the start time being 18:00 GMT. I often have tea (dinner) around this time and I often forget to rearrange it for an earlier time (as I am not often the cook.) Therefore for me personally, 18:30 would be a better time.
Saturday is also quite an awkward day as it is the day that many social events take place or the night you will be away if you have taken a weekend break. Whilst these are generally fairly rare, they can be lumped together. (For example, I once missed a whole series of AF when that was in this time slot.

Do you find the story intriguing? if not, why?
Yes.
Enterprise was one of my favourite series (after The Original Series and Voyager) and therefore I find this period interesting anyway and I think you are tackling it very well. I'd maybe like to see more of the 'lawlessness' that we saw a lot around Enterprise.
So far, the main story arc is an interesting one and I think it's executed very well. I also think investigating the agency (that I assume will become what we know as Section 31) is another interesting thing to be looking at. But the story line does remind me of the 'Terra Nova' story line from Enterprise.
I think from here, it would be more interesting to look at the 'exploration' theme that was behind Enterprise and the more unpolished Starfleet that we see.
In a few seasons time, it might be interesting to look at the Romulan War, but I'll leave that in your capable hands!

What have you noticed that's outstanding about the series?
I think the effort you personally put in is great, actually making a map as the series unfolds and taking advice from people who are actually RPing at those stations.
As I said in the previous answer, the stories are well put forwards and are great to RP with!

What deficiencies have you noticed about the series?
Beyond not utilising all the plot devices available that relate to the time period, which I'm sure we'll get round too (it is only season 1 after all!) The only thing I can think of is the fairly frequent lapses in attendance (again not your fault!)

Are there story elements that have left you confused?
Not that come to mind.

Are there story elements that you wish I would just end?
I think whet we've had so far is a great start, and it would be great to see those threads continued in the background.

Overall, do you find your experience enjoyable?
Definitely!
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Klaw on February 07, 2016, 02:21:21 PM
Quote from: Scott Archer on February 07, 2016, 02:06:53 PM
Do you take part in Daedalus? If not, why?
Yes, I do try to and I try to make sure that I am on time on the occasions that I can make it.
Despite this effort, I am often late or I have to take time out in the first 10-15 minutes due to the start time being 18:00 GMT. I often have tea (dinner) around this time and I often forget to rearrange it for an earlier time (as I am not often the cook.) Therefore for me personally, 18:30 would be a better time.
Saturday is also quite an awkward day as it is the day that many social events take place or the night you will be away if you have taken a weekend break. Whilst these are generally fairly rare, they can be lumped together. (For example, I once missed a whole series of AF when that was in this time slot.

Do you find the story intriguing? if not, why?
Yes.
Enterprise was one of my favourite series (after The Original Series and Voyager) and therefore I find this period interesting anyway and I think you are tackling it very well. I'd maybe like to see more of the 'lawlessness' that we saw a lot around Enterprise.
So far, the main story arc is an interesting one and I think it's executed very well. I also think investigating the agency (that I assume will become what we know as Section 31) is another interesting thing to be looking at. But the story line does remind me of the 'Terra Nova' story line from Enterprise.
I think from here, it would be more interesting to look at the 'exploration' theme that was behind Enterprise and the more unpolished Starfleet that we see.
In a few seasons time, it might be interesting to look at the Romulan War, but I'll leave that in your capable hands!

I wanted to address a couple of your responses: a quick warning though, Spoilers will follow!

At the beginning of Episode 5, a region of space was mentioned, it was discovered by a Dr. Denorios (Memory Alpha Link (http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Denorios_belt)) Before the incident at Starfleet Command, Daedalus was going to head that way. The back half of the season is intended to be all about life on the frontier, new discoveries - and a good bit of cowboy diplomacy.

I will hint, Section 31 is a great guess - and they will play a part, but I won't explain how big of one, yet...

Terra Nova is also a good guess, but the difference is, (Spoiler ahead) ------------ The Xenophobia reasoning behind the Organization's actions, is a projection of the xenophobic response after the Xindi Crisis. The truth behind the Organization..... is quite broader, and to some degree - without borders. (/end spoiler)

One more quick spoiler. The Earth-Romulan War is very near on the Horizon

A general new question for everyone: Would finding a new timeslot help make Daedalus easier to attend?
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Shoot on February 07, 2016, 05:03:54 PM
8. Maybe moving it to 18.30 GMT?
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Scott Archer on February 07, 2016, 05:57:57 PM
Quote from: Shoot on February 07, 2016, 05:03:54 PM
8. Maybe moving it to 18.30 GMT?


I'd be good with this too.
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Scott Archer on February 07, 2016, 06:06:35 PM
Quote from: Klaw
At the beginning of Episode 5, a region of space was mentioned, it was discovered by a Dr. Denorios (Memory Alpha Link (http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Denorios_belt)) Before the incident at Starfleet Command, Daedalus was going to head that way. The back half of the season is intended to be all about life on the frontier, new discoveries - and a good bit of cowboy diplomacy.
I thought it would be, but I was commenting on what we've had so far :) I look forward to it! :D

Quote
I will hint, Section 31 is a great guess - and they will play a part, but I won't explain how big of one, yet...
Section 31 is one of those over used plot points, where I can decide whether I hate it or love it! Again, I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us on that front!

Quote
Terra Nova is also a good guess, but the difference is, (Spoiler ahead) ------------ The Xenophobia reasoning behind the Organization's actions, is a projection of the xenophobic response after the Xindi Crisis. The truth behind the Organization..... is quite broader, and to some degree - without borders. (/end spoiler)
Ooh!

Quote
One more quick spoiler. The Earth-Romulan War is very near on the Horizon.
Anyone else really looking forward to Horizon? I really hope they manage to do a good job of the war...
This is one of the loosest ends in Star Trek, starting in TOS: Balance of Terror (great episode!) and mentioned loosely in the other series and then built up to in Enterprise (but they has to cancel it first didn't they!)
I wish you all the best with it Klaw ;)
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Klaw on February 08, 2016, 07:45:41 PM
Additional feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated 😀
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Telex Ferra on February 08, 2016, 10:00:45 PM
Do you take part in Daedalus? If not, why?

No, due to godmodding in the first few episodes.

Do you find the story intriguing? if not, why?

Very.

What have you noticed that's outstanding about the series?

I haven't been in an episode for a while and I've forgotten.

Would finding a new timeslot help make Daedalus easier to attend?

This question is the main reason I'm replying. I don't mean to be harsh to you Klaw but since you're asking, this needs to be said: the problem with the SRP is your inconsistency in attending it. I think you've probably gotten better since the beginning but your inconsistent attendance was starting to kill the series before it got off the ground. As long as the SRP runs reliably every week, most people put in a good effort to show up because they know the SRP is going to run. Once you start cancelling it - especially if you're cancelling it because you yourself can't come - then whether or not the SRP is going to run any given week is far less certain. As a player, I then have to ask myself: "Why shouldn't I make alternative plans during Daedalus' Timeslot if there's a 50/50 chance it won't run anyway?" Then I go and make my plans, don't show up, and my absence combined with others causes the SRP to be postponed again, further exacerbating the problem. The less certain an SRP is, the fewer people commit to showing up, the fewer people that show up, the less certain an SRP is. It's a nasty feedback loop and it's very easy to start it when you're cancelling episodes before you've even hooked anyone on the series.

Again, I'm not saying this to be mean Klaw. You've produced a lot of high quality and very enjoyable SRPs. However, you hurt your credibility (attendance wise) long before Daedalus, and continued the same trend (as far as I can tell) during this SRP. I think the best way for you to recover would be to run a joint SRP with someone else and re-establish your reliability as someone who consistently shows up every week. As someone who also works a full-time job and has a life outside of RPG-X, believe me, I know it's not easy to dedicate a fixed few hours every weekend to an SRP, but that's also why I've stepped back from the SRP sphere and left SRP writing to quality content creators like you, Grizz, and Serris.
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Martin Thompson on February 09, 2016, 03:07:52 PM
Do you take part in Daedalus? If not, why?

Yup

Do you find the story intriguing? if not, why?

It's an interesting take on a part of history not shown alot in other SRP's, although there are some elements of the series which are recurring troughout your SRPs and are perhaps classical "Klaw" plot devices/storylines (Walter Pierce, storyline with a heavy focus on war-time). This isn't nessecarily a bad thing though, but just something that took my notice.

What have you noticed that's outstanding about the series?

Personally I think the era of the series is a good starting point. Then there's also the map, I love it how you put work into making a map to go with the series!

What deficiencies have you noticed about the series?

I mentioned a point above already (the classical "Klaw" plot devices), like i said its not a bad thing per se, but it does give the SRP a kind of "i feel like ive already done something similar" kind of feel. Besides that, its obviously the lack of attendees.

Are there story elements that have left you confused?

Not personally, but then again, ive seen most of the story ;)

Are there story elements that you wish I would just end?

No, actually there are just enough loose ends (like the Andorian plot) to make it enjoyable but not so much that I get confused.

Overall, do you find your experience enjoyable?

Yes.

Would finding a new timeslot help make Daedalus easier to attend?

For me personally, 30 mins later would be better (due to Deadalus sometimes overlapping my dinner time). However, on a whole, I don't thinkt it would get much more attendance that way. People who signed up are not consistendly 30 mins late, they are either there or not.


All In all, i think its not so much the SRP itself to blame as perhaps the people in it. I also see Telex's point about your own tardiness regarding the SRP, though it hasn't bother me personally and I didn't really thought about it untill i read Telex's response above. Though i do see why it would cause other peole to be tardy aswell. Furthermore, I see alot of new people have signed up for the SRP, though they tend to join a few episodes and then go off the grid alot. That doesn't only hold for Deadalus for for RPG-X as a whole. The community is very small at this point, only consisting of a few newcommers who don't seem to be sticking around (perhaps partially to blame is the lack of content there) and a few "old boys" (i dont think i should have to mention names :P). We've been trying to get renewed interest in RPG-X, but it hasn't worked out for the long run so far. Its only a natural cause of things, not to say we shouldn't do anything about it and just let it happen, but its also partially out of our own control. We can only just continue on with that which we do and as long as its enjoyable for the small community we have then thats fine.
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Klaw on February 09, 2016, 04:08:43 PM
So, after a great deal of reflection and reading through your responses (Thank you all for your feedback, by the way :) ) I'm looking at possibly instituting a series of improvements for Daedalus.

Firstly, I would love to welcome in a co-writer for the series. It would help create diversity, and possibly a bit of stability for the series.(As a note though, Daedalus has been postponed 5 times, 2 of those times were as a result of me (I was pretty sick one time, and life happened a second time) and the other 3 times have come after the Christmas Hiatus. (I'm blaming Christmas for the problem...)

Secondly, I'm likely going to push Daedalus back by 30 minutes (depending on any further feedback to come) this could hopefully help ease the dinner problems for those in the British/Western Europe time zones.

Thirdly, I'm also considering moving the day to Sunday. This is not ideal for me, but if general consensus wishes a day change, I'll happily do it. - This is a radical idea, I'll try the 30 minute push back first.

Lastly, I should note, the series was planning a radical restructure already. A number of characters are on their way out and as such, it'll make room for a fresh start along a fresh path (in a sense)

To further address Telex's observations: it is true, I don't have the best of track records; However, I'm really trying HARD to alter this perception of me - but the only way I can alter other people's perceptions is if other people see me trying. (Vicious cycle, I know). What I'm asking the community for is a chance to change, and to share my stories.

And as for the "Klaw Devices", if you'll allow the term, I'm working to break out of the comfort zone, but to do that - one has to start somewhere. Sadly, that has forced me to rehash some similar story elements in the beginning. (and you may see some again when the Earth-Romulan war starts), but between now, and then - and after these events, I'm going to try to break out of the mold. (And as always, I welcome anyone and everyone to feel free to write and air your own Daedalus Stories to help further this expansion effort)
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Scott Archer on February 09, 2016, 04:47:01 PM
Saturday would work better for me, If you start at 18:30 GMT, that gives you pretty much up to AF's timeslot (20:30) and for those in both, that would be pretty much 4 hours of solid RPing. Which would be pretty intense, week in week out.

Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Mutatio Nomen on February 10, 2016, 05:24:01 PM
QuoteThirdly, I'm also considering moving the day to Sunday. This is not ideal for me
Telex unfortunetly hit the nail on the head. Yet by blatantly saying it's not ideal, are you saying your attendence will not improve? It's pretty honestly why I never put much effort into your SRPs, if at all.
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Klaw on February 10, 2016, 05:45:36 PM
Quote from: Mutatio Nomen on February 10, 2016, 05:24:01 PM
QuoteThirdly, I'm also considering moving the day to Sunday. This is not ideal for me
Telex unfortunetly hit the nail on the head. Yet by blatantly saying it's not ideal, are you saying your attendence will not improve? It's pretty honestly why I never put much effort into your SRPs, if at all.


Quote from: Klaw on February 09, 2016, 04:08:43 PM
...As a note though, Daedalus has been postponed 5 times, 2 of those times were as a result of me (I was pretty sick one time, and life happened a second time) and the other 3 times have come after the Christmas Hiatus. (I'm blaming Christmas for the problem...

The other three postponements were a result of lack of attendance of players - NOT me.

In terms of your question pertaining to Sundays: Sundays are not ideal for me because at present I use Sundays to finish homework, and relax a good bit before work Monday Morning. Once I get a flow on, I don't like changing it - however, I can. My attendance won't get any worse moving it to Sundays - nor will it get any worse staying at Saturday. At present, I have enough foresight to plan episodes out - and to plan out breaks (which I did for the Christmas Hiatus - knowing that the Holiday season would affect attendance negatively...)

My only other concern with moving to Sundays is moving. Some people may expect Daedalus to live on Saturdays - movement could hinder participation.

It should be noted that the Sunday movement is only an idea - and one that will likely be used in a last attempt.

I appreciate your candor, and your feedback - please feel free to come back at me with any more questions or concerns you may have.
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Shoot on February 11, 2016, 12:25:41 PM
QUESTION!!! Is Daedalus gonna air this Saturday?
Title: Re: Feedback is Needed!
Post by: Klaw on February 11, 2016, 02:38:44 PM
Quote from: Shoot on February 11, 2016, 12:25:41 PM
QUESTION!!! Is Daedalus gonna air this Saturday?

At present, no - There will be NO Daedalus this week. I've started the transition of some of the changes mentioned above, and as such, we're going to need a little time to come back swinging :)