The Last Outpost

Member Services => Engineering => Resolved Support Requests => Topic started by: Klaw on April 02, 2016, 05:33:40 PM

Title: RPG-X Error: No Messages to Display [ARCHIVED]
Post by: Klaw on April 02, 2016, 05:33:40 PM
"RPG-X Error: No Messages to Display" displays seemingly randomly across my screen in big red letters.... This used to only happen when I loaded a local session, now it occurs on the server too - the weird thing is, it never came up during Daedalus.... I'm wondering if it has something to do with the config?

Also, I only noticed this message appearing since the inclusion of the new Asteria Release on the server - though if that was the culprit, it should have continued during Daedalus....

Have any of you all seen this before? and if so, do you know how to fix it?
Title: Re: RPG-X Error: No Messages to Display [ARCHIVED]
Post by: Martin Thompson on April 02, 2016, 06:05:38 PM
I've seen this message once during a local session on Asteria. I walked into the bar and thought it could be related to the audio entity triggering when the bar doors opened (that's when i saw the message).

I've had a look at the RPG-X source code. The error occurs at line 509 or line 515 of code/game/g_active.c
Aparantly, from the comments, its a bit of code that cycles trough CVAR messages, however i am not sure what would trigger it. The error is displayed if there is no Length parameter set for a timed message or if the iterator on the list of timed messages is not present.

The code is triggered by the function ClientTimerActions, which happens for every client once a second according to the comments. It parses a level.timedMessages struct which is appended to in the function G_LoadTimedMessages in g_main.c which appears to parse a file called "timedmessages.cfg".

I currently have no idea where this is comming from as i cannot find such a file in the asteria pack, so it might have to do with something else. Anyway, this probably means not much to you but it might help us solve this along the line when i have some more time to look into it.
Title: Re: RPG-X Error: No Messages to Display [ARCHIVED]
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 02, 2016, 06:18:00 PM
Quote from: Martin Thompson on April 02, 2016, 06:05:38 PM
I've seen this message once during a local session on Asteria. I walked into the bar and thought it could be related to the audio entity triggering when the bar doors opened (that's when i saw the message).

I've had a look at the RPG-X source code. The error occurs at line 509 or line 515 of code/game/g_active.c
Aparantly, from the comments, its a bit of code that cycles trough CVAR messages, however i am not sure what would trigger it. The error is displayed if there is no Length parameter set for a timed message or if the iterator on the list of timed messages is not present.

The code is triggered by the function ClientTimerActions, which happens for every client once a second according to the comments. It parses a level.timedMessages struct which is appended to in the function G_LoadTimedMessages in g_main.c which appears to parse a file called "timedmessages.cfg".

I currently have no idea where this is comming from as i cannot find such a file in the asteria pack, so it might have to do with something else. Anyway, this probably means not much to you but it might help us solve this along the line when i have some more time to look into it.

Going to open the source code and take a look.

EDIT: Seems to me that that function should be returning NULL rather than those strings. The only time that function is called, its output is NULL-checked.
Title: Re: RPG-X Error: No Messages to Display [ARCHIVED]
Post by: Serris on April 02, 2016, 06:20:52 PM
It's a server configuration problem that started occurring in 2.3, probably because of a bug in the code you guys are referencing. If the field rpg_timedMessages is blank in the server.cfg, it will throw up that error at the earliest interval. Thing is, I just changed the server configuration to add rpg_timedMessages " " yesterday, which should have worked. That's what prevents the error from appearing on Teriyaki. Seems the fix didn't take, though. I'll have to just wholly rip and copy Teriyaki's configuration over to Spicy after I've changed a few lines. This should fix the problem and prevent that from happening again.
Title: Re: RPG-X Error: No Messages to Display [ARCHIVED]
Post by: Klaw on April 02, 2016, 06:31:14 PM
I'm just glad that I'm not going crazy! Thanks for the info :)