The Last Outpost

Archives => Public Archives => RPG-X Archive => Topic started by: Telex Ferra on April 10, 2016, 02:10:46 PM

Title: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 10, 2016, 02:10:46 PM
Hello everyone,

Wiht some of the recent issues we've been running into in RPG-X, I've decided that it might be useful to get some TLO members working on the RPG-X source code. I am willing to dedicate several hours per week to this project, especially if I can get some help.

Would anyone be interested in helping with this?
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Scott Archer on April 10, 2016, 02:24:26 PM
My C++ knowleege is fairly limited (but slowly growing) so I'm willing to help.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 10, 2016, 02:27:57 PM
How's your knowledge of git?
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Scott Archer on April 10, 2016, 02:56:08 PM
Quote from: Telex Ferra on April 10, 2016, 02:27:57 PM
How's your knowledge of git?


None existent
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 10, 2016, 02:59:53 PM
Quote from: Scott Archer on April 10, 2016, 02:56:08 PM
Quote from: Telex Ferra on April 10, 2016, 02:27:57 PM
How's your knowledge of git?


None existent

We can teach you.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Sheia K'Ress on April 10, 2016, 03:38:59 PM
I would love to help out, if only I knew more about C++ and I know nothing of GIT, if you meant GITHub lol
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: SmartScout on April 10, 2016, 05:37:14 PM
To bad I don't know C++...I wish you luck though.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 12, 2016, 08:04:15 PM
It's pretty much all in C, not C++
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Sheia K'Ress on April 12, 2016, 08:28:34 PM
Well, even though I am doing Online courses, I would love to be taught in practice.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 12, 2016, 10:16:25 PM
You're taking C online courses? How far have you gone? Do you know git?
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Sheia K'Ress on April 13, 2016, 05:11:13 AM
I dont know Git but I am willing to learn
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Scott Archer on April 13, 2016, 06:09:27 AM
Your probably further on then I am then Sheia... I keep stopping learning it to do other things and then have to come back.


I also don't know C at all, I assume it has some similarities with C++
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Sheia K'Ress on April 13, 2016, 06:57:30 AM
That's why I'm doing Online Courses Scott :P  As well as Law and Legal, Creative Design, Game Development
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 14, 2016, 11:37:45 PM
Quote from: Scott Archer on April 13, 2016, 06:09:27 AM
Your probably further on then I am then Sheia... I keep stopping learning it to do other things and then have to come back.


I also don't know C at all, I assume it has some similarities with C++

C++ is a supereset of C and has a lot more features than C. For instance, C++ is object oriented, and C has no concept of objects, though they can be faked.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Sheia K'Ress on April 15, 2016, 06:38:10 AM
Either way, I want to learn all I can since I want to be able to help more :)
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 16, 2016, 11:11:31 AM
For anyone interested in helping out, please see this tutorials on Git/Github. These won't take you very long but they'll be invaluable if you choose to help out.

https://try.github.io/
https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Sheia K'Ress on April 17, 2016, 06:05:03 PM
I definitely want to help out, I want to learn from those above me :)
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on April 17, 2016, 08:34:32 PM
Quote from: Sheia K'Ress on April 17, 2016, 06:05:03 PM
I definitely want to help out, I want to learn from those above me :)

I'm not gonna lie to you; this codebase is large and very difficult to read in some places. That being said we would really love any help we could get. At the very minimum you'll need a working knowledge of C and Git. The latter you can get from exploring the links I posted.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Sheia K'Ress on April 17, 2016, 08:39:54 PM
Yep, as well as being taught by you :) Plus when I finish my C Programming courses etc they'll come in really handy
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Jack Telford on April 18, 2016, 05:27:57 PM
Sorry I know some HTML and a bit of Java script but that's about it for me. Good luck through :)
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: StringTheorist on April 18, 2016, 07:18:22 PM
Well, here is a list of my coding skills.


<My_Coding_Skills_List>
...
</My_Coding_Skills_List>


Sorry!
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Ryan Stokes on June 16, 2016, 05:35:49 PM
Well, I'm a couple months late in seeing this (took a long absence).

I have decent skills in a few programming languages. Unfortunately, none of them are C languages.
I consider myself fluent in JavaScript, PHP, and a couple of lesser known languages (Pawn and Squirrel).
From my experience, learning one pretty much made the rest very easy to adapt to.

If you still need help, I learn very quickly and would be willing to assist.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on June 16, 2016, 07:07:40 PM
Quote from: Ryan Stokes on June 16, 2016, 05:35:49 PM
Well, I'm a couple months late in seeing this (took a long absence).

I have decent skills in a few programming languages. Unfortunately, none of them are C languages.
I consider myself fluent in JavaScript, PHP, and a couple of lesser known languages (Pawn and Squirrel).
From my experience, learning one pretty much made the rest very easy to adapt to.

If you still need help, I learn very quickly and would be willing to assist.

That's awesome! Have you ever worked with a language with manual memory management?
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Ryan Stokes on June 17, 2016, 02:02:51 AM
Unfortunately, no.

In all of my experience, I've never had to.
Pretty sure any modern language would handle that automatically.

What I posted before, are the languages I'm most fluent in.
I can adapt easily if needed.
I've always figured I might dive into C languages someday, just never had a use for it yet.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Telex Ferra on June 17, 2016, 09:42:08 PM
What's your github account? I'll add you to the repo. If you've learned a few languages already then picking up C and its memory management model (or lack thereof!) shouldn't be too difficult.
Title: Re: Looking for anyone willing to help work on RPG-X
Post by: Ryan Stokes on June 18, 2016, 02:09:13 PM
My GitHub: https://github.com/VortrexFTW (https://github.com/VortrexFTW)

I also joined the Gitter mentioned in a post on the forum.