The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Star Trek: Daedalus => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Archives => Topic started by: Klaw on July 30, 2016, 02:39:32 PM

Title: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Klaw on July 30, 2016, 02:39:32 PM
Basically, today's fiasco (in which only one person on the roster and one guest showed up) has left me quite upset. I'm tired of pouring my soul into this, to receive the lack of support I have been getting.

I asked for feedback a while back, and I took that feedback to heart, and I have tried VERY Desperately to hold to that, and make changes for the better. Now I just don't know how to proceed from here.

There are 7 names (Other than mine) currently on the Roster, of those people, 2 are currently on LoA, and one gave me a heads up that they were going to be stuck at work. 3 people are missing (and one of them has been since I added them to the roster).

I'm taking 2 weeks off, no Daedalus, no Planning, no mapping, no TLO. and I hope when I get back, to set a viable plan in motion to go forward from here.

While I'm gone, I'd like this thread to work as a Roll Call thread.

If you are currently on the Roster, Please reply with the following information:

How would you rate your participation in Daedalus:
What changes to Daedalus as a whole would you like to see going forward: (This could include a better map, a different time slot, a bold new story direction - whatever)
Do you think Daedalus should continue, or should it end now?:

Feel free to freestyle any feedback you may have, I just want to make Daedalus fun for everyone, and I want it to be successful.
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: StringTheorist on July 30, 2016, 03:47:48 PM
How would you rate your participation in Daedalus: I try to be there every week, and the only times I've missed episodes (once during season 1 and today) were due to illness. I woke up this morning at seven throwing up, and spent the next 5 hours or so waiting for the spell to pass. I think it was a spell of food poisoning or something, not entirely sure. I've done as much as I can to attend Daedalus whenever it is possible, including canceling social plans the day of on one or two occasions. I want to see the series succeed and I am incredibly embarrassed by being unable to attend today.

What changes to Daedalus as a whole would you like to see going forward: I think that for the most part, Daedalus is really the current highlight of all TLO since Asteroid Field went on hiatus. It didn't get that way for no reason. Hold the course, and keep true to the current plot. Iconian Gateways, war with the Romulans, exploding warp cores, crew scandals; it's all great. Just keep going strong, and I'll continue to be online whenever I'm capable of RPing, with my own health being the only real time I'll step away for a week.

Do you think Daedalus should continue, or should it end now?: I feel my answer to this should be obvious [SEE ABOVE]
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Scott Archer on August 01, 2016, 10:40:44 AM
How would you rate your participation in Daedalus
Not good enough. Saturday is one of those awkward days, where mostly I'm free, I have nothing consistently planned on Saturday evenings at 18:30. But it's also pretty much the only day where random social activities appear out of nowhere. I try to get out as much as possible, or leave early from things to make it to Daedalus but so often it leads to me being late or not making it at all.
Summer is pretty crazy for me this year, I've just got back from 10 days of camping and serving at a youth event then I'm going to Canada for a few weeks, then I'm serving at another camp and then starting a new job. I know I was able to PM you all the dates but I feel I should have done it sooner and of course it's unacceptable for a fairly major character to be away for so long.


What changes would you like to see?
Coming to the things that you mentioned:


*I'll come back to this on my computer later*

Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Martin Thompson on August 03, 2016, 03:59:09 PM
How would you rate your participation in Daedalus: Good, I think I've missed one episode with prior notice this season.


What changes to Daedalus as a whole would you like to see going forward: You've already had my feedback on this a while back. I personally think that from your end you can't doo much more then you are already doing. The story is very engaging and interesting, you post episode information on time and with clear indication of when episodes are going to run and then there is the Steam notification everyone on Steam should be getting that the SRP is running. I think that should be enough.

Do you think Daedalus should continue, or should it end now?: The story itself is solid, i would be saddened to se it go. The core of the problem is the lack of (attending) people. As long as members that registered don't show up there is little you can do to help it. RPG-X has been having this problem for longer and longer now. I've been seeing things go downhill ever since I first started playing RPG-X again in 2009 (i think it was 2009). I remember the first RP (I was a member of the Voyager SRP back then which evolved into 3rd Fleet later, before they quit their RPG-X activities) was jam packed, there wher eover 20 members on the server. That was my 1st RP after i had been absent from RPG-X for about 5 years and it was the last one in which i saw 20+ members.

Anyway, long story short, its a member problem, not an RP problem.
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Klaw on August 04, 2016, 05:25:36 PM
Another question:

What can I do to be more accommodating (especially to the three of you who actually participated in this discussion so far as requested...)
Would a change in time slots be the way to go? maybe move Daedalus to a new day?
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: StringTheorist on August 04, 2016, 05:59:47 PM
Given that Martin and Scott live in Europe while Klaw and myself live in the US, we won't be able to get the best time for everyone. I think if the current timeslot is what works best for you Klaw, that's how it should stay. We can't make everyone across the world happy with the same slot! It's just not possible to win over all of the people all of the time.
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Martin Thompson on August 05, 2016, 04:33:57 PM
As far as the timeslot goes, the current one is perfect for me. Its right after dinner time. The only time i was not present was because i was gone all day, so for me there is really nothing more you can do.
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Klaw on August 08, 2016, 12:02:57 AM
For me, it's extremely embarrassing to get everything ready, have one or two people on the server ready to go and have to cancel an episode 15 or so minutes after start time because people don't show up, and don't offer notice before, or even after as to why they won't/didn't show up.

As it stands, to this point, I've been very relaxed. my general attendance rule has been  3 no notice and no shows in a row will wipe your name from the roster. (and truth be told, I've let people slide for 5 or so episodes before removal...)

I'm far more understanding if you take 2 minutes and explain "Sorry Klaw, I have to work this Saturday" - or "Sorry Klaw, I'd rather play fallout..." than offer no communication at all.

So, I think going forward I'm going to do this:

The  Can't be there thread is going to be locked. and replaced. Every Episode has their own information thread, THIS will be our means of "Will be there" or "Can't be there' communication throughout the week.

What I expect is every episode will work as a roll call, to determine who can or can't be there.

If you can be there, simply reply to the week's episode information thread with something like "Looking forward to it" or "I'll be there Klaw!"

OR!

If you can't be there, you could say something like "Sorry buddy, I made plans that I can't cancel" or "Gonna play Fallout instead"

The catch: I will expect replies to be posted no later than the Friday before at 12pm EST (1700 GMT) (1600 BST)

In terms of wiggle room: I'll allow for 24 hours AFTER the episode airs to explain and excuse an absence (barring EXTREME circumstances)

What I'm going for here is the ability to offer 24 hours notice in the event that I have to cancel an episode. And if "Can be there" responses are made by less than 50% of the people on the roster (at this stage, this line may change if participation grows) then an episode will be cancelled.

Does this seem reasonable? Should this be a route to explore? I'm very open to suggestions (and re-explaining it, I'm not sure if I explained it very well)

Thoughts?
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: StringTheorist on August 08, 2016, 12:11:23 AM
I'd love to give feedback on how awesome this system is... but I'd rather play Fallout.
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Klaw on August 08, 2016, 12:12:46 AM
Quote from: StringTheorist on August 08, 2016, 12:11:23 AM
I'd love to give feedback on how awesome this system is... but I'd rather play Fallout.

CURSE YOU BETHESDA!!!!!!!! :P
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Scott Archer on August 08, 2016, 08:11:07 PM
Sounds good!
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: Klaw on August 09, 2016, 11:03:14 PM
August 20th, "Doctor's Orders" is set to air...

I hope to see you all there.
Title: Re: Daedalus Hiatus
Post by: SmartScout on August 10, 2016, 01:33:08 AM
How would you rate your participation in Daedalus: From the Times I have participated I would say Daedalus is top-notch. I apologize for my absence fairly often, I am simple busy on weekends commonly
What changes to Daedalus as a whole would you like to see going forward: (This could include a better map, a different time slot, a bold new story direction - whatever): I think that Daedalus is the forefront of rp writing on TLO. The map update would be nice, but this is great so far.
Do you think Daedalus should continue, or should it end now?: It should assuredly continue, it is a great SRP, probably the best currently.