The Last Outpost

Gaming Divisions => Computer Core => Star Trek: Asteroid Field => Archived SRPs => Serial Roleplays => RPG-X => Station Logs => Topic started by: StringTheorist on September 04, 2016, 09:09:55 PM

Title: Personal Log Archive- ACMO James Tobin
Post by: StringTheorist on September 04, 2016, 09:09:55 PM
Exhausted halfway through his double shift in Sickbay, Dr. Tobin finds himself with a few spare moments to rest. With nothing else to do and sickbay empty, he walks over to the computer console and decides to record a personal log. He begins recording with a sigh.

Begin Personal Log, Dr. James Tobin.


  Well, It's been a long two weeks, hasn't it? I barely know where to begin. I had no idea Commodore Forrest actually put me at this post and for that I am immeasurably grateful. Counselor Pine no doubt wanted to keep me at arm's reach fixing up scraped knees and pulled muscles in the Academy infirmary for the rest of time so I would never get a dangerous or important assignment. I have no idea what he has against me, but I've clearly upset him. I just dread he might send a letter to Captain Mason or place another "psychological analysis" note in my record (Which he did, unbeknownst to Lieutenant Tobin). I guess I'll just never know. But why let him ruin my day?


  Here at Pioneer I received a pretty warm welcome with having my bag stolen and witnessing President Taylor resign. I've been kept busy as my new boss has yet to show himself outside of the science lab. Our captain seems nice enough, and I've already gotten help from security on multiple occasions with trying to track down my luggage. The Chief Engineer is a bit, rough around the edges, but no doubt he... Computer, pause log.


Dr. Tobin steps away as Jack Telford enters, requiring a sleeping aid. He quickly dispenses it then returns to his log.

  Computer, resume log. Remind me to schedule a follow up appointment for Mr. Telford. Anyway, where was I... *Stops to think for a moment* Ah yes, the crew! I met and helped Ms. Etis on the Promenade, and she seems to be very interesting. She even expressed regret that I might die, but don't get me started on their twisted ACMO Betting Pool. Someone who cares about my life, ain't that just a real shock? I look forward to actually meeting Doctor Rogan and the others. *Looks to medical log and sighs* Welp, better bring this log to an end, work to be done. Computer, end log and store in my personal database!


With his first ever long-winded and rambling log on Pioneer Station recorded, Dr. Tobin returns to work sorting through reports and updating the sickbay activity record because of Mr. Telford once again.
Title: Re: Personal Log Archive- ACMO James Tobin
Post by: StringTheorist on October 09, 2016, 08:58:43 PM
After reporting on his discoveries regarding the scrap of fabric recovered from a stasis pod on an away mission, Dr. Tobin returned to his quarters for a minute before reporting back to sickbay. Still sitting on the desk was a single PADD, which had been silently taunting him for the past several days. Unable to put it off longer, he decided to read the letter on his way back to his station.

"Dear Tobi,

  I know how hard all of this must be for you with me entering the hospital just as you start your first assignment, but you need to remember that I'm proud of you no matter what. I'm sure if Jenny and Oliver would say the same if they were still with us. Keep your chin up, and don't let your emotions get the better of you. I know you can do great things if you would just TRY. Don't let Pine win! I hope to hear about all the marvelous adventures of your new job in your next letter.

-Mom
(Sent from Orvadi City Hospital)"

After considering his response for a moment, Dr. Tobin began dictating to the PADD.

  Dear Professor Tobin. No no no, delete draft. Hey mom! I finally read your letter, and just wanted to get back to you while things were quiet here. Pioneer, quite the adventure so far. Let's see... I've fought a Klingon, survived an explosion, climbed the walls of a lava pit, and broke in to a Federation base. I'm not quite sure what to think or how to feel right now, and all my emot- all my thoughts seem tied up in knots. I already feel like I've bonded with some of the crew. Doctor Rogan of course, the OPS officer is nice enough, I guess. I think that the captain is tolerant of me, but I can't be sure. She's, hard to read... But I always feel like she can read me like an open book. No mater how hard I try to hide it.


  We're on course to Earth, I'll visit you if I have tim- Delete last sentence. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I will try and find time to visit when I can; though I don't know how long that will be. I just, feel it wearing away some days, my control. The fear's always been skimming the surface of the water, but now everything's coming to the surface. Happiness, grief, anger, even love- that one which I thought I locked away the deepest. But I must regain control, I must not let it get a hold of me. Love, Tobi.


Computer, delete last line. Replace with Sincerely, James.

Looking over what he had wrote, Dr. Tobin became increasingly irritated and just saved the draft for later, tossing it onto the desk in Sickbay, quickly forgetting it was there as he was called out of the office to help treat a crewman with a slight fever, pressing two fingers against his temples in reaction to the headache he himself was getting.

[Unnecessarily long and drawn-out character piece and review of my experiences with Asteroid Field so far, done! Thanks for making it this far into the log. :P ]
Title: Re: Personal Log Archive- ACMO James Tobin
Post by: Grizz on October 10, 2016, 12:30:23 PM
Quote from: StringTheorist on October 09, 2016, 08:58:43 PM
[Unnecessarily long and drawn-out character piece and review of my experiences with Asteroid Field so far, done! Thanks for making it this far into the log. :P ]

Makes it all worthwhile when somebody puts in extra effort!