News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

Hope this is ok to ask...

Started by Nifty, August 24, 2011, 12:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nifty

This isn't a TLO problem but I'd thought I'd ask y'all anyways:

I'm having problems using search engines. About 90% of the time when I google something and click a link it goes straight to a fake search site. Is it some kind of trojan?

Thanks,

Nifty

Brex

#1
What are you searching for? (Your exact terms please)

Nifty

#2
It isn't a particular thing, it's all things! Just before I typed dauntless effiles into google and after clicking the first link, which was exactly what i was looking for, it happened again...

Brex

#3
Can you give a link to this fake search site then please?

Grizz

#4
Hello Nifty,

If it's clearly dodgy, I would advise you to download and run Malwarebytes as soon as possible. I would not post a link to (or for anyone to click on) this "fake site" but to instead post the name of it from the URL so that it can be checked out that way.

Nifty

#5
I actually used Malwarebytes but nothing came up...is there something I'm missing?
one of the "sites" was named balisearch

Grizz

#6
Seen that before, pretty sure it's malware alright. Surprised Malwarebytes did not pick anything up if that is the case. Hijackers can be awful if not found and dealt with.

Give ESET's (<3) online scanner a run. In the meantime, root around, other people have had this problem. (Although, ironically, Malwarebytes picked it up in most cases) If you have any safe registry cleaners - run them up.

Of course there's always the sure fire format and restore option there. But nobody wants to hear dramatics like that on the first page of a help thread. So keep trying!

Veritas

#7
Try start > run > ipconfig /flushdns

That will clear out all the entries which determine what URLs resolve to what websites. Also run Malwarebytes as suggested, and Spybot.

Taisen-74656

#8
Depending on your browser, I'd also check your add-ons.

Often, several types of toolbars and extensions hide inside the browser- redirecting your browsing and messing with your settings. Often, the only solution is to uninstall and clean install the browser- or reset all settings/data altogether.

Just another possible solution if the scanning reveals no results.  ;)