News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

'Business as Usual' Discussion Thread

Started by Grizz, April 27, 2013, 06:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you rate 'Business as Usual' by Griffiths?

Excelllent
6 (100%)
Good
0 (0%)
Average
0 (0%)
Poor
0 (0%)
Awful
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Grizz

"Yeah, I think we picked well."

Griffiths eased us back in to Pioneer Station with the return of Asteroid Field proper, this week. This initially quiet piece took stock of dangling threads from 1.0 and established a heap of material to take us in to the final eight episode. Despite the delayed start, the server restart and the recurring absence of Doctor Rogan, the crew had a number of tasks to take them through the two day period.

Doctor Xokon arrived from Asteroid Base: Alpha to take over the running of Sickbay. Jemma Etis was released from the medical centre and returned to duty prior to receiving a long overdue promotion in both rank and title. The once-invisible Jack Willis set to work in modifying Operations to be used as a SCIF - because that isn't an obvious plot device lying in wait. Alicia Costello worked the Burke case while analysing station security protocols before and after a tactical drill in coordination with Commander Chaplain. 

The science team (Thrace, Etis, Fox & NPC Ferris) oversaw the reconstruction of the corrupted database which was put out of action when 'Denara Clarke' made contact at the start of the year. Thrace utilised D'ni technology to keep the information safe. But was it enough? Come the end of the episode, I'm starting to think that it wasn't. Alone in the lab, Thrace was shown a series of images. Amongst them, the destruction of Presidential transport Starfleet-One, the USS Athena under heavy attack, Pioneer Station surrounded by Illuminati fighters, the Accobar Device under siege from orbit and the destruction of Romulus in a ball of fire.

With the data destroyed immediately after, there's no saying if anybody will quite believe what he saw. But left with ominous personal message of 'help me' - I'm sure Daniel will be keen to investigate further. Who sent the message? What were those images? The future? A possible future? Works of fiction? Bait?

Stick around and I might just tell you. But that was but my cherry on a very delicious slice of cake served up by Griffiths. Hold tight, he has three more on the way. Thank you for attending; rate and discuss, above and below.

Griffwald

Thank you to the 8 others who attended!

I personally enjoyed this episode a lot. We had a lot of sub-plots rolling, and they were all actually timed pretty well. Imagine that, unplanned details being timed nicely. I think pretty much everyone was able to get involved in some way, at some point, with something. One thing that I find difficult from the writing standpoint, is including every character. In any given episode of ST, or any series, not every member of the main cast was a prominent figure every episode. I think in this EP, we had a fairly good balance.

I do hope all of you enjoyed it, and as is always said - we won't know unless you comment! Would throwing these types of episodes in every so often be well received by you all? Why or why not? Please share your comments! :)

Also, the episode's ending was totally Grizz's creation, one I knew nothing about. I don't think I'm alone in saying it gave me goose bumps!

criminula

Quote from: Griffiths on April 27, 2013, 11:30:16 PM
Would throwing these types of episodes in every so often be well received by you all? Why or why not? Please share your comments! :)

I think having this sort of thing every now and again would be a good idea, to allow some increased character development and sorting out of subplots without having to keep up with a direct main storyline. I know this let me start to think more about the details in my bio, and how I would be applying them more to the episodes ahead.



Martin Thompson

I liked the episode, it was nice and easy, more how you would expect a normal day on a space station to go. There was enough plot in the episode, it doesnt need to be all action all the time anyways, and it ended in a nice sort of cliffhanger.


Grizz

I'll be expecting another five posts in this thread by the time I return  ;)  ;D

Russell Xokon

#5
Quote from: GrizzI'll be expecting another five posts in this thread by the time I return

I'll be happy to oblige, Grizz.

I especially liked this episode because it was probably the best episode to arrive in. There was nothing exploding, no crazy plot points (except the end, or course) and no one trying to assassinate anyone! It gave me a chance to start running a little experiment with radiation, which should be fun, Of course, there was also no Andzzy (Not because I sent mob bosses after him or anything...) so I got the run of sickbay for a week. Hooray! Overall, I'd like another character development episode like this again, it was highly enjoyable.

P.S. Also liked the 5 minutes in between the two 'Acts'. I didn't have anything AFK-y to do though so I just jumped and stuff.

Grizz

Looks like the 'commercial break' will be staying due to the positive feedback :)

I'll come up with things to keep those entertained who have nothing afk-y to do in the break. Apart from listening to nice music, of course. Thanks, Russell!

SFC3

This episode was  refreshing change from explosions and mischief.

While I was not completely focused this weekend and forgot many plot points ( :P ) I still had a hella of a time.

Commercial break needs some commercials. I think it's time for Granola Grizz Bars.

Griffwald

Thanks everyone for the comments! We'll be sure to continue with the 'commercial [Potty] breaks' and throw in these episodes when we can.

For now, buckle up, the rest of the season has great stories to be told!