News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

Writer's Retrospective

Started by Griffiths, July 02, 2013, 05:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffwald

This lonnng, first Season of Star Trek: Asteroid Field started a bit by surprise. With the abrupt departure of Star Trek: Asteroid Base, I, like many others here, felt a great longing for some Accobarian roleplay. If anyone remembers, I was brought on to write for Asteroid Base near its tail-end, however my episodes never saw light. (One of them may find its way into Season Two, though!) Massive support from former Asteroid Base members led Grizz to go ahead and start Asteroid Field, which she had been toying with for ages.

I think it's safe to say our first season together was wonderful. There were a fair number of bumps, ranging from haphazard attendance, to a very poorly written episode titled 'Wargames'. Through it all though, there were so many more highlights. One thing I'm particularly proud of this season was not only did we have the usual stellar roleplaying from veterans, but Asteroid Field saw a few new roleplayers. I hope throughout this first season everyone who has just jumped into this 'world' has gained confidence, because I was pleasantly surprised with everyone's ability!

More specifically to my experiences ... I've enjoyed myself a lot.  It's very intimidating writing in general, but especially so when doing it alongside Grizz. She's literally poured her heart and soul into the Accobar System, and she has the skills to tell us all such amazing stories – it's very intimidating. You can imagine my surprise and joy when the majority of you welcomed the stories I brought this season. I was markedly nervous at the first episodes I wrote, but I think it was also noticeable that I became more and more comfortable. Really though, I have to thank all of you for your kind words, constructive feedback, and participation in making this SRP such a success.

As we move towards Season Two, massive planning has already begun. As Grizz shared, it will be split into 3 parts and will be starting sometime in August. Some episodes are planned in their entirety, though I'm sure there will be many edits between now and August, and others remain blank. My personal goal for Season Two is to really push for character development. We put in I believe two episodes, devoted to character development, but for Season Two I plan to tackle this a bit differently. (Read the post pushed out concurrently with this for details!)

So, thank you. Thank you for a wonderful few months, for being engaging, for caring, for enjoying, for just showing interest. Asteroid Field has been the most fun I've had with roleplaying ever, and I want to see it continue for many, many, more episodes.

¡Estoy agradecido!
Griff