News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

Main Menu

Computer Hardware and Electronics

Started by andrewthetechie, November 15, 2013, 04:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

#105
Cheeky update.

[spoiler]Desktop:

i7-4770K @ 4.4GHz
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Nvidia GTX 980ti (EVGA FTW ACX 2.0)
16GB DDR3 2133MHz
500GB SSD / 1TB HDD
DVD+/-RW and Blu-Ray
Windows 10

Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27"

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15

Misc:

360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Sony Xperia Z1[/spoiler]

andrewthetechie

This is getting built as a replacement for ol' eunice sometime in the next few weeks:


http://pcpartpicker.com/user/andrewthetechie/saved/YPYRsY


For those not feeling a link:


Intel Xeon E5-2680 - 10 cores @ 2.8ghz
64gb ram
256gb SSD
Dual 760 GTX cards (will still run all 8 monitors)

Martin Thompson

Why 64 Gb Ram and watercooling? Are you going to run VM's on it and oc?


andrewthetechie

Quote from: Martin Thompson on January 04, 2015, 01:39:52 PM
Why 64 Gb Ram and watercooling? Are you going to run VM's on it and oc?


This is my work machine. I spend 8-10 hours a day at it. I decided to go over what my "wildest dreams" are because I can.


I do run quite a few VMs, so the memory is really there to support that and the fact that when you have 8 monitors...you have a lot of open applications. I routinely use 8-10gb of ram, before any VMs.


The watercooling is just because that xeon chip is hot and that closed loop cooler will make it easier to keep it cool.




John Adams

Quote from: andrewthetechie on January 04, 2015, 05:22:16 PM
Quote from: Martin Thompson on January 04, 2015, 01:39:52 PM
Why 64 Gb Ram and watercooling? Are you going to run VM's on it and oc?


This is my work machine. I spend 8-10 hours a day at it. I decided to go over what my "wildest dreams" are because I can.


I do run quite a few VMs, so the memory is really there to support that and the fact that when you have 8 monitors...you have a lot of open applications. I routinely use 8-10gb of ram, before any VMs.


The watercooling is just because that xeon chip is hot and that closed loop cooler will make it easier to keep it cool.





Why Xeon and not i7?

LinusTechTips video

linus is love, linus is life.

get an x99 i7

RadioActivitii

From what I've read, Xeons are much better for the stuff Andrew is throwing at it.

andrewthetechie

Quote from: John Adams on January 05, 2015, 02:16:27 PM

Why Xeon and not i7?

LinusTechTips video

linus is love, linus is life.

get an x99 i7


Compare your x99 i7 to 10 cores at 3ghz.


Keep in mind, i'm not a "For the lulz gamer". I'm running hardcore processing, doing data manipulation, running multiple VMs, etc. I am much more of a "datacenter" then I am a consumer. I want a chip that is going to run 24/7 for the next 5-10 years.




John Adams

Quote from: andrewthetechie on January 05, 2015, 06:12:41 PM
Quote from: John Adams on January 05, 2015, 02:16:27 PM

Why Xeon and not i7?

LinusTechTips video

linus is love, linus is life.

get an x99 i7


Compare your x99 i7 to 10 cores at 3ghz.


Keep in mind, i'm not a "For the lulz gamer". I'm running hardcore processing, doing data manipulation, running multiple VMs, etc. I am much more of a "datacenter" then I am a consumer. I want a chip that is going to run 24/7 for the next 5-10 years.





I see.

Shoot

2 HP ProBooks.
Lenovo Tablet.
Samsung syncmaster Full HD TV.
Fujitsu Win xp, it works hahaha.
Dell Keyboard.
eMachines Keyboard.


Misc:

Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus
PS3
Wii

E-Mail: shoot@last-outpost.net
Web: www.last-outpost.net
Stay At Home, Be Safe, Save Lives, Wear a Mask

John Adams

I've upgraded to an i5 4690k, with my 7950.

On another note, I'm selling a g3258 I've aquired, it is unused, just open box.

LINK (serris approved)

Shoot

#115
Quote from: Shoot on March 24, 2015, 05:09:19 PM
2 HP ProBooks.
Lenovo Tablet.
Samsung syncmaster Full HD TV.
Fujitsu Win xp, it works hahaha.
Dell Keyboard.
eMachines Keyboard.


Misc:

Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus
PS3
Wii





My cheeky update


Lenovo IdeaCentre H50-50


Specs:
Intel Core i5-4460 Processor
RAM 8.00GT
Windows 8.1 x64bit
Nvidia GT 720
Hard Drive 1TB
Lenovo Keyboard
Lenovo Mouse
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4354775147.png


HP ProBook 2x

Samsung Syncmaster HDTV Monitor

Misc:

Lenovo Tablet
PS3
Wii
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus
Samsung Galaxy Ace (Currently Broken)






E-Mail: shoot@last-outpost.net
Web: www.last-outpost.net
Stay At Home, Be Safe, Save Lives, Wear a Mask

criminula

#116
Current System Status:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930k @ 4.0GHz (Overclocked)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(8x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz C15
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 4TB

Also has a Blu-ray drive of some description.

Peripherals:
Mouse: Corsair Scimitar (With a Cooler Master Storm Skorpion for the cable)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Cherry MX Browns, UK Layout)
Joystick: Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS
Headset: SteelSeries H Wireless
Speakers: Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Speakers
Primary Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q (2560x1440@144Hz TN Panel)
Secondary Monitor: ASUS VC239H (1920x1080@60Hz IPS Panel) - Currently orientated portrait


Laptop 1:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710MQ @ 2.5GHz
RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR3 1600MHz (Not sure of manufacturer)
SSD: 120GB MSATA SSD
HDD: Samsung M8 1TB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 870M
Display: 15.6" 1920x1080

Laptop 2: Dell XPS 15 (9550)
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.6GHz
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 512GB PCIe based SSD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M
Display: 15.6" 3840x2160 (4K InfinityEdge)

Laptop Peripherals:
Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (3840x2160 (4K)@60Hz)
Mouse: Logitech MX Master
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II
Headset: ASUS ROG Orion
Printer: Canon PIXMA MX475

Updated late 2016



Scott Archer

I didn't even know DDR4 existed... I'm still running on integrated graphics

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk

criminula

I think DDR4 has been more of a thing in servers until this point. The X99 Chipset is the first consumer platform for DDR4, AFAIK. Generally has better power efficiency and higher frequencies.



Martin Thompson

Yeah DDR4 is just being released now for consumers. I don't know how it compares to DDR 3 performance wise. I'm on not relaly high clocked DDR 3 (i think its 1866) but the timings are lower (instead of CL15 CL8 or 9) so i dont know if you gain anything there. DDR4 is less power consuming since it runs on lower voltages, so thats a plus.