News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

SRP Update - Countdown to the Endgame

Started by Grizz, January 24, 2015, 05:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

When asked when Asteroid Field will come to it's conclusion, I've been able to give multiple answers. Generally along the lines of:

- When it stops being fun for you.
- When it stops being fun for me.
- When it can't be sustained.
- When I burn myself out.
- Who knows? I'll take it one season at a time.

I honestly expected it to end with Season Four so we're in some kind of overtime right now, which I'm grateful for, as there are still some things I want to do and it wouldn't have made for a very satisfactory conclusion. But every season more, it tends to become increasing difficult to turn ideas and concepts into successful and enjoyable roleplays. Our time in the Accobar system unashamedly peaked some time ago and I don't want to pretend that I can prevent an inevitable stagnation.

When I see getting an average episode to run roughly to time with half a roster as an achievement, I think it's time to accept that all cylinders aren't firing. So it's time I took a look at the finish line and started making my way towards it. I believe that Season Five has some very interesting episodes within it, even if I can't vouch for it's ultimate execution, so I'm still looking forward to working through the current run over the next two-three months. Beyond that, providing the SRP is still active and as it currently stands, Star Trek: Asteroid Field will conclude with a limited Sixth Season later in the year.

I don't want to really talk episode count, as we're not there yet, though I don't foresee it being a 12-episode order. I'll be exploring my options in terms of story and working around that. I thought Season Four was a reasonably successful experiment in concise, serial storytelling and really helped in giving the SRP the boost it needed. But this time it goes beyond me wrapping up a story. It also extends to you guys and where you want to take your characters in the final season. So I'll be taking that in to account to when it's time to start planning. I also don't know if the abandoned AB special will make an appearance along the way.

This is on me - failing to meet my own expectations of myself since sometime during the third season, so nobody should concern themselves. Eventually my heart was going to be in a different place and it would be tougher to hold it together. In the meantime, it's back to the present and I hope the remainder of Season Five proves it to be an enjoyable one - hopefully gathering a more reliable attendance record along the way.

Thanks!

Grizz

Mutatio Nomen

Thanks for everything (so far) Grizz/Missy/Root! This is without doubt my favourite SRP ever, and I'm not just including TLO. :)

Martin Thompson

It's been a great run Grizz, and I agree with you, you should "quit while you're ahead". You cant squeeze more out of it then there's in it of course. Series have been streched too far in the past, on tv and in rpg-x and in the end having a serie end after its peak is way better then trying to drag it on an keeping it alive.

Anyway, its not that far quite yet, so we will still be able to enjoy some more of your (and our own) creations in the show. With this announcement however, its good to know where the end is so that we can say goodbye to our characters in a propper fashion ;)

I would like to see one episode set in say, 40 years from the current time, before the end though, think thats possible?


Shoot

Its been great time to be in AF Grizz/Missy/Root!

E-Mail: shoot@last-outpost.net
Web: www.last-outpost.net
Stay At Home, Be Safe, Save Lives, Wear a Mask

Baron

This is certainly more than fair, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are grateful that you've hung on this long, creating quality SRPs like AF for nearly a decade. I only wish I could have been present more often in the past, certainly this week included.

Best of luck to you as you wrap up AF-- I'm sure it'll be a blast! :)