News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

RPG-X Server Stability [CLOSED]

Started by Jenson, March 29, 2016, 09:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenson

Hey Martin,

When you get a chance, can you take a look at the RPG-X servers and see if there are any problems with the settings. During an RP tonight we kept having disconnects (at one point every few minutes) on Solaris with Server Command Overflows. I've noticed that they've been occurring quite a lot recently so I think we should have a look into it.


Serris

#1
The more advanced maps are notoriously unstable, even with the engine enhancements. Hell, Station_Iowa disconnects people at random and RPG_Voy4 has a one in three chance of either disconnecting waves of players, recovering after a lag spike, or crashing the server whenever you change the alert status. I'm not sure there's anything we can do. I set those configuration files myself as soon as I got access and it hasn't been an issue for any of our SRPs. It's probably just map choice and player input causing engine instability.

If GSIO01 and Harry were still active, we could probably get them looking into console logs and memory dumps to find out what's causing it, but unfortunately, this may just be something we have to live with.

Jenson

I had thought this was originally just a voy_4 problem, but these things were happening FREQUENTLY on rpg_solaris last night (as in every 5-15 minutes)--and I really haven't had any trouble with Solaris before =/


Telex Ferra

I think going through the RPG-X source code and trying to fix these issues is a better long-term solution, but I'm not sure you could pay me to wade through some of that stuff.

Odd that it would be unstable on Solaris. I've always thought of that as one of the more stable maps. Did instability continue after a server restart?





Sheia K'Ress

It continued, either all of us disconnected from the server or only some of us. Those who attended the rp that got disconnected didn't come back. To start with when I was roaming through earlier yesterday checking out RPG_Solaris, it was fine. I don't know why it was acting all screwy during the RP yesterday
<br />

Martin Thompson

This is indeed strange on Solaris, that map is regarded as stable.

I'm afraid there is little i can do at the moment, and stuff like this is also notoriously hard to debug since you cant exactly place breakpoints on the server. Modifying the code is an option but the repo is very... messy imho and hard for someone with almost no knowledge of it to modify.

Anyway, short of a server restart there is little i can do about this short term.