News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

How do I beam from one server to another on LAN game?

Started by Heaney, February 26, 2011, 10:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heaney

Hello, I have just joined here through the merge with STORP.

I heard that it is possible to beam from one server to another...

I have a few questions.

1. Can I do this myself? (on a LAN server for playing with friends)
2. How do I do this myself? Is it hard?
3. What is the maximum number of servers you can beam between? Just 2... or more?

Thanks.

Veritas

Hey Heaney, welcome to TLO!

Beaming from one server to another is an rpgxEF-only feature that's not something we've really tested. We do run an rpgxEF server, but only the one, so there aren't really any other servers for you to beam to/from (except servers operated by other groups).

As far as how it works, I can't really say - I haven't tried it. However, I will direct your question to GSIO, the rpgxEF developer. He visits these forums occasionally :)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Veritas

PS: In the future, questions go in the "Ask the Infosphere" subforum.

GSIO01

Quote from: "Heaney"1. Can I do this myself? (on a LAN server for playing with friends)
2. How do I do this myself? Is it hard?
3. What is the maximum number of servers you can beam between? Just 2... or more?
1. Yes
2. Yes, it is not that complicated
3. 5

So what you need is:
- multiple servers running the latest beta of RPG-X, if they run on the same maschine each server has either to run on a separate install or on a separate fs_homepath (which includes the baseEF and RPG-X2 folder)
This tutorial describes how to setup a server for server change.

Heaney

Quote from: "Veritas"PS: In the future, questions go in the "Ask the Infosphere" subforum.
Sorry!

Quote from: "GSIO01"So what you need is:
- multiple servers running the latest beta of RPG-X, if they run on the same maschine each server has either to run on a separate install or on a separate fs_homepath (which includes the baseEF and RPG-X2 folder)
This tutorial describes how to setup a server for server change.

Thank you for that information and that link! I'll try it out.

There's only one bit I don't get. I understand the config bits but how do I use it once actually in-game?

GSIO01

It only works with maps that use the Transporter UI (for example Station Iowa). Older maps can be updated by Lua scripting but thats a bit more work to do and I don't have written a tutorial about that yet.

@Veritas: Serverchange is a core RPG-X feature and will work with the non rpgxEF version of RPG-X as well once it is released. It just won't have multisever chat like the rpgxEF version will have once that is implemented into rpgxEF.

Veritas

As soon as that's an available feature, you can bet our servers will have it functional.