News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

Help for learning how to engineer a full map, and anyone who could help!!!

Started by Tiberius, March 24, 2011, 11:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiberius

Hello all, I would like to learn how to create a complete/full map for RPG-X for a project I have in mind. I would like to create a map of Star Trek The Experience, and attraction that once thrived in Las Vegas in the Hitlon Hotel. I do have some experience with modeling in google sketchup 3d, truespace 3d, and a little of Autodesk 3dsMax (I am very good with detail and size). I could greatly use the help of others along with some good resources I have found through google. Some resources would include; http://www.digitalproperties.ca/enterprise/, http://www.digitalproperties.ca/exp/, along with videos of youtube and pictures from google. But I have to learn how to model before that. Is their anyone that could point me in the right direction (in modeling doors, lights, buttons, systems, etc.) and possibly help me? Any help would be great.  :)

The map I would like to make would be very big.

Help from Klaw and other members would be really helpfull

Klaw

firstly, you need some form of a radiant program, I use GTK radiant 1.5, though I'm dipping into 1.4... it's more stable and has more complete functionality. These programs you can download from eliteforce2.filefront.com, though I would google it, there may be a more up to dat version out...

as far as sculpting a map, it takes practice. I could give you set dimensions, but what I think is too tall for a ceiling could be too low for someone else.

I will tell you, Youtube and google (which led me to jk2 forum sites) were my best friend in learning how to do things... on top of that, I did alot of reverse engineering, using source files provided by map makers (namely Will and Ant) and looked at individual aspects and did some trial ane error scenarios.

Those source files can be downloaded on their website iwantstudios.com

Andzzy

PLZ GO GTK RADIANT 1.4!!!! Save yourself the hassle of realizing that GTK Radiant 1.5 is just a crap version of GTK Radiant 1.4.... I found out the hard way :P (go mapping!). After you get it installed, do some experimenting... I think the radiant comes with basic help files for starting a map?? If I'm not mistaken that is. But yeah. That's my input :P.


December. Cheer for everyone!

Tiberius

Thanks andyzzy :D I will definately go with your guy's suggestion. =D