News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

Main Menu

rpgxEF in Linux [RESOLVED]

Started by Tim, January 10, 2013, 04:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I have a question about running rpgxEF in linux.  I was not sure if there was a linux version of rpgxEF or not.  I searched online and found this one http://rpgxef.hennecke-online.net/files/current/client/release_linux_i386.zip.  I also downloaded http://rpgxef.hennecke-online.net/files/current/so/RPG-X2_linux_i386.zip but i'm not sure if I need this one or if can use rpgx that i already had.  I downloaded http://last-outpost.net/downloads/RPGXCE_Patch125b2.exe and installed it in Wine.  I took the files and put them in the correct directories on another drive partition and created links to the files but it would not run because of the rpgx configuration file in my .stvef directory.  I made a backup of the directory and deleted the config file from the original directory.  I ran the program and it worked. I tried to load the atlantis map and it worked.  I was wondering if there is a way to load a different config file or use a different directory for rpgxEF with out messing up the files I already have for iostvoyHM with rpgx?  If anyone knows a better way to make it work in linux please let me know.

Veritas

It's definitely possible to run rpgxEF in WINE or rpgxEF in Linux natively, but it isn't something I've personally ever done.

I would suggest using symbolic links for the files the two versions share, and storing rpgxEF separately so it won't interfere.

Tim

QuoteI would suggest using symbolic links for the files the two versions share, and storing rpgxEF separately so it won't interfere.
I have the programs in different directories and have used symbolic links for the pk3 files.  The only file that i can see that they are sharing is the config file that is in the .stvef directory in my home directory.  The baseEF and the RPGX-2 directories are linked to the /usr/local/games/stvef directory.Do you know if either of these programs have any command line options that would allow me to load a different config file?

I could probably make a script to rename the .stvef directory to .stvefbak and then have it rename .rpgxefbak to .stvef. and then change them back after I close the program.

Veritas

Yes, use +set FS_HOMEPATH to specify a different directory for all of those. That should do it.

Tim

QuoteYes, use +set FS_HOMEPATH to specify a different directory for all of those. That should do it.
It works now Thanks!  :D
I tried to connect to the server to see if it would and it went back to the main menu.  It has this error

ERROR: Client/Server game mismatch: RPG-X v2.2 Beta 8.4.6/RPG-X v2.2 Beta 8.4.4 Helsinki X

What do I need to do to fix this?

SFC3

It's right there on your post, your two version ahead of the server.

Downgrade.

Veritas

Yep, you need this version of the rpgxEF libraries: http://rpgxef.hennecke-online.net/files/old/so/RPG-X_v2.2_beta8.4.4/

8.4.6 is notoriously unstable; most servers do not use it.

Tim

QuoteIt's right there on your post, your two version ahead of the server.

Downgrade.
I will downgrade it  to an older version to see if it will work.

QuoteYep, you need this version of the rpgxEF libraries: http://rpgxef.hennecke-online.net/files/old/so/RPG-X_v2.2_beta8.4.4/

8.4.6 is notoriously unstable; most servers do not use it.
I will try it tomorrow to see if it will work. I will let you know if it works or not.  I think it will.

Veritas

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Tim

QuoteGood luck! Let us know how it turns out.

I just tried it and it works! I was able to connect to the server.  I looked at the console messages and I saw this warning

WARNING: You are missing some files referenced by the server:
RPG-X2/sgeranksandclasses.pk3
You might not be able to join the game
Go to the setting menu to turn on autodownload, or get the file elsewhere

I was just wondering if I would need this file or not.  Everything works fine.

Veritas

Nope, you can safely ignore that. The server hosts a LOT of files that you may or may not have, but you don't need them to play unless a config is used that calls for them, or a map that they contain is switched to.

Glad you got it working!

Tim

QuoteNope, you can safely ignore that. The server hosts a LOT of files that you may or may not have, but you don't need them to play unless a config is used that calls for them, or a map that they contain is switched to.
Ok great!  I had to ask just to find out if I needed it.  Is there a list of the files that I would need?

QuoteGlad you got it working!
So am I   There had to be a way to get it to work.  Now I have both programs working so I can connect to either server.

Veritas

QuoteOk great!  I had to ask just to find out if I needed it.  Is there a list of the files that I would need?

Everything in the downloads database is fair game; that said, I usually don't download maps until an RP calls for them - and the database is being reworked right now anyway.

Tim

QuoteEverything in the downloads database is fair game; that said, I usually don't download maps until an RP calls for them - and the database is being reworked right now anyway.

Ok I have some of the maps like Atlantis and Enterprise-E-V2 already.
I tried to load them but they did not work until I increased the /com_hunkmegs setting now they work except enterprise-e-v2 has a lot of missing textures.

I also see these error messages in the console

ERROR: Couldn't read in file: maps/ENTERPRISE-E-V2.locations!
ERROR: Couldn't read in file: serverchange.cfg!
ERROR: Couldn't read in file: maps/ENTERPRISE-E-V2.holodeck!

I have the pak50.pk3 in the RPG-X2 directory and I looked at the files in it and it had the enterprise2.locations file in it but not enterprise-e-v2.Where would I find this file?

Veritas

Are you certain you installed all the necessary files/dependencies for Enterprise-E?