News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

Pinging out and wiped

Started by Scott Archer, September 02, 2014, 11:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Archer

I keep pinging out of RPG-X
Is there anything I can do to stop it or make it less likely?


Also my RPG-X has just wiped itself of all my settings

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk

Martin Thompson

The settings wipe sometimes happens when you have multiple instances of RPG-X installed / running. Settings are saved in your AppData Folder (type %AppData% in an explorer search bar to get there, the settigns are in the RPGXEF folder). So if you have multiple installs, there is a change stuff gets written over.

As for the pinging, it could be a server issue. Are there any specific maps you have this issue on or is it always? It could be server related or client related. There are a few console commands you can set/unset to help it (from the top of my head, setting the fps cap too high, like 1000, can cause this, but it is unlikely you did this) but I think either Serris or Veritas can help you more on this point.



Scott Archer

I have two copies of RPG-X but I haven't used one of them for ages.
It happens on most maps, smaller ones such as shuttles or runabouts are usually slightly better.
It does it pretty equally on most servers I go on.
I've always assumed it's a slow computer issue but I was wondering but thanks Martin :)

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk

Martin Thompson

Well of course it can also be an issue with your pc or internet connection.

Where do you live? our server is in the US (don't know which state though, an ip traces says its chicago), so if you try speedtest.net to a server in the US and see what your latency is you can see if its an internet problem or not.

What are your pc specs?

What are your com_hunkmegs? Try upping them by adding "+seta com_hunkmegs 512" to the command line in your desktop shortcut.


Scott Archer

I'm in the UK with fibre optic internet, usually between 16 and 26 Mib
The PC specs are rubbish, so is suspect this is probably the issue although I have bought some more RAM, just waiting for it to arrive.
Currently it's 1GB ram, but when my new RAM comes this will be upped to the motherboards maximum of 4GB 
It's a dual core intel CPU, can't remember any more details than that
It's got a terrible graphics card from like 2007 that doesn't support openGL
It's got a 222GB hard drive with about 90GB free


My com_hunkmegs are default I think

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk

Martin Thompson

The 1gb could be a problem yes. And your video card has to support opengl or else RPG-X wouldn't run XD. 2007 is indeed old, but opengl already exists from 1997 or even earlyer or so i think.

The cpu sounds good enough for RPG-X, so does your internet. So yeah, it could be your RAM, that would explain you have less issues on smaller maps because they use less textures and other resources. 


Scott Archer

In a couple of games I have where using OpenGL is an option to play but you can't use it. I did a check on intels website and it said that OpenGL wasn't supported

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk

GSIO01

When your GPU doesn't have OpenGL support EF normally won't even launch. That is a simple fact. There is one exception if you are using windows 8 or 8.1 there is a bad direct3d to OpenGL wrapper in the default driver. I can't imagine that you use either though from your specs.
Check if the rate cvar is set to a value that makes sense (should be at least 25000).
You could also try pinging the server from the command line (ping -t <IP>) to check the ping and see if any packets are lost. That is a good start so see if there is a connection issue.

RadioActivitii

It's probably your connection. I also live in the UK, and have incredible high pings on the TLO servers. It's like this on three different laptops, ranging from 1GB of RAM to 6GB of RAM, and running Vista, 7, and 8.

Scott Archer

It may be the location of the servers actually.
As I said I get pinged out on EE and TLO servers equally but EE used to be a lot better. But we have a UK based server and a US based server. I think RPG-X may have been moved to the US based one.

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk