Daedalus Progress Report

Started by Klaw, September 02, 2015, 10:24:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaw

I'm just gonna drop these rough "sketches" here...

Quantum Novae

Klaw

Klaw

So, I'm moving right along at a comfortable pace with the construction of the map. I will be the first to admit, that this is a rush job and may not be as pretty as I had hoped - the images you are about to see are of the work, in progress.

If I were to assign a percentage to the total playable completion of the map... I'd say I'm sitting around 40 or 50%

Still to do (and you'll notice it when you see the images): Scripts (Which control things like lighting), General Mapping, Entities, and optimize for a successful vis compile (I currently have a couple of holes in my Briefing Room - caused by a lack of a vis compile).

Without further ado.

The Bridge:

The Briefing Room:

The Weapons Bay:

(Yes, those are phase cannons dangling from the ceiling - or as near as I was willing to approximate :P)

Engineering

This area is still very much untouched, it's little more than 4 walls and an engine... but I wanted you to witness the pride and joy, thanks to a little command line trick I learned from the internet.

Telex Ferra

Did you just tear the guts of the map out ?

Klaw

Quote from: Telex Ferra on September 30, 2015, 01:43:19 pm
Did you just tear the guts of the map out ?

Yes, I gutted it. Most of the interior areas of the map didn't convert properly and as a result, when it was converted, I had to come up with some creative ways to proceed.

Klaw

Progress continues slowly on my little project. I'm working as quickly and efficiently as I can to try to meet my kickoff date goal, though it is possible that some of the desired entities and maybe a few non-essential areas of the ship may not make the cut by then.

I've begun scripting textures and lights - trying to get everything perfect - and at the same time, I'm trying to finish the model pack (especially since a number of you want to use character models that weren't included when Beyond Infinity wrapped up :P)

All in all, progress continues.

I have overhauled the Bridge a bit, I decided while mapping one day that the Hybrid console effect wasn't working for me...so I chose to retexture things a bit.

Martin Thompson

Looks promising. Nice use of the NX-style consoles there!

Klaw

It's 5:00am my time...and Insomnia has made me a pretty productive mapper :P

I would like to introduce you to one of 2 Shuttlepod prototypes which will serve on the Daedalus.

Klaw

Okie Dokie, Here's the poop.

There will be an Alpha Release by Saturday Morning (So keep an eye open, I'm going to start the compile before work Tomorrow)

This Alpha Release is the culmination of an untested, and very VERY unfinished map - but it should provide everything we need for the Episode Saturday(And the unfinished angle will help with the story :P).

So please bare that in mind - and feel free to report any bugs you may have found here (once I release it).

Klaw

November 07, 2015, 07:38:20 am #10 Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:46:43 am by Klaw
Okie Dokie, so this is a list of a few known bugs in this Alpha of the map:

1.) There's a door on the Engineering Deck that will act as part of a lock down procedure which starts up, and should stay open for now... it doesn't, it has a habbit of closing on people - and only admins can open it afterwards. - Fixed 11/8

2.) One of the window supports in the Briefing Room has a habit of "vanishing" at certain angles.

3.) The mess hall is visible from the bridge viewscreen

4.) The Injector Assembly in Engineering starts off invisible, but when you "use" it, they work as intended...

5.) Sickbay is VERY unfinished (As is most of the map, to be honest)

6.) "Hall of Mirrors" - Possible Areaportal issues which lead to RPG-X Crashing to menu - Reported by Martin Thompson

Please report any other bugs here

Martin Thompson

Hey Klaw,

I tried out the map, the finished bits look very good! I like the industrial/craped look with the tubes running everywhere and the ENT style layout really fits the era.

Apart from the obvious bugs you already mentioned, i did encounter 1 serious bug but i couldn't really reproduce it, though it might still be worth looking into.

I was in sickbay, stepped into the turbolift, used it to go to deck 7, i then turned around to the door, which closed, but behind the door instead of seeing sickbay i saw the "Hall of Mirrors" effect, and my EF crashed to the main menu. I forgot to write down the exact error unfortunately and like i said i couldnt really reproduce the error. I'm guessing it is a small glitch with placement of Areaportals around the turbolift doors, so it would be good to check those.

Anyway, so far, looking good!

Klaw

Quote from: Martin Thompson on November 07, 2015, 08:10:33 am
Hey Klaw,

I tried out the map, the finished bits look very good! I like the industrial/craped look with the tubes running everywhere and the ENT style layout really fits the era.

Apart from the obvious bugs you already mentioned, i did encounter 1 serious bug but i couldn't really reproduce it, though it might still be worth looking into.

I was in sickbay, stepped into the turbolift, used it to go to deck 7, i then turned around to the door, which closed, but behind the door instead of seeing sickbay i saw the "Hall of Mirrors" effect, and my EF crashed to the main menu. I forgot to write down the exact error unfortunately and like i said i couldnt really reproduce the error. I'm guessing it is a small glitch with placement of Areaportals around the turbolift doors, so it would be good to check those.

Anyway, so far, looking good!

This "Hall of Mirrors" effect was encountered by me once as well, in an early test, the Turbolift on the Armory Deck  was areaportaled out (For lack of a better term) When I stepped in, I used the lift, then crashed. it only happened once to me, I had assumed it was fixed when I re-worked the area portal brushes.... I'll look at this again though - thanks for the heads up.

Klaw

*As a Note* Compiling this map takes a great deal of time....I started a compile twice this week in hopes of a release this week, but I then needed my computer for another CPU intensive task, and had to stop the compile.

I'm going to work on it a bit today and tomorrow, and I guarantee that there will be a new updated release next week.

A few excitable changes:

Levers on the consoles are starting to act like levers (You'll see what I mean)

Sickbay should be more or less finished by the coming release.

I created a new light texture for the sconces, which I'm hoping should help a great deal with the lighting situation.

Fixed the Engineering Door - though the feature for that door hasn't been constructed yet.

I'm hoping I fixed the disappearing wall in the Ready room, I haven't tested it yet, but I'm hopeful.

The Shuttle bay should be functional, if not fully mapped out in time for this release.

I'm currently breaking ground on one of the science facilities, I hope to have that somewhat together as well.

*ONE LAST NOTE*

Please feel free to post bugs/problems/etc as you find them here. I may forget if you tell me mid-RP. I tend to be a little over the top scatter brained.

Klaw

So the new release is available here: http://www.last-outpost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8240.0.html

I would still classify this as an alpha release, largely because the basic frame of the map is still being built. Once the map is panned out, and it comes time to fine tune, I'll consider it Beta

please inform me of any bugs (preferably here) - in truth, little has changed from last release - just some bug fixes and some room tweaks.