News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

Main Menu

Klaw's Mapping Class

Started by Klaw, July 24, 2017, 12:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaw




So I let the cat out of the bag this evening, that I was planning to stream a map making class on Twitch. After that, I fielded map making questions from 3 members.

As a result, I'm gonna start moving forward now :P

Required resources:

RPG-X UE - https://last-outpost.net/rpgx/

Radiant Software for the Quake3 Engine (Recommend Netradiant) - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiI3wxAqoQpZkE2aFRVl7fPzvqDH

A Little file for management stuff to bring STVEF into Netradiant - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiI3wxAqoQpZe4qwm3ofKUkmumo

This File needs to be put in the Baseef folder of your RPG-X install - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiI3wxAqoQpZkE6rdMv7-bE-NPsM



How to Setup Netradiant:

1. Install RPG-X
2. Place the "mapextras.pk3' file in the Baseef folder of your RPG-X install.
3. Open the Netradiant Zip file, and extract the contents somewhere easy to find.
4. Open the Netradiant addons file and extract the "games" and "stvef.game" folders to the root of the netradiant folder.
5. Open Netradiant, and follow the gui setup to select "Star Trek Voyager Elite Force" as your game and point the editor to your RPG-X install.

Congratulations: Netradiant is installed - now what do you do with it?!

Poking around at the interface

I'm very picky with how I have my interface. Largely because it's how I learned to map :P. So, This next part revolves largely around choice, trial and error and just playing around with things (which is 93% of mapping anyway). I'm going to help you get setup like I have mine.

1. Press "P" to open your preferences.
2. Under interface, select "layout" - I choose the third option from the left (second to last). The four square layout makes life easier to see when you're dealing with the 3D Axis.
3. Scroll down to Settings, and select "Brush" - make sure that "Always use caulk for new brushes" is checked.
4. Select "Orthographic" and make sure 'Display size info" is checked
5. Press OK and proceed.

Note - the changing of the layout will result in a need to restart the program.

And just like that - Your radiant install looks just like mine. Now you're ready to begin

Some Additional Resources to consider as you endeavor to press forward with mapping:

Will and Ant's Map Source files are on this page (Will and Ant were responsible for a LARGE chunk of RPG-X's original maps, including Poseidon-B, Atlantis, the STRP-HQ series and MANY MANY more.)

(More to come later)

Klaw

#1
So I think this is going to start this week. Anyone Interested in learning how to map - Hope to see you all Friday!.

As a note, we're going move very slowly. And I recommend following along with what I build as closely as possible. I'm going to Channel my inner Bob Ross through the whole expedition.

Don't worry if it's not 'perfect' - This is your canvas. Mapping is as much an expression of self as any other form of art - so have fun with it!

There will be lessons on building, texturing, entities, even some info on how to compile a final copy of your map. Stick with it! And ask questions :)


Anyway, see you Friday

Link to my Twitch Channel is right under the image on the top - just fyi

Callum603

I think this is a great idea.


I wanted to get into mapping a while back but could never figure it out.  Do you know what time on Friday you'll be streaming?  I'll hopefully try and be there.




Web: http://last-outpost.net
E-Mail: technical@last-outpost.net

Earth's Elite Ambassador

Klaw

Around 5pm EDT

I know it's late on your end, but it seemed my best window at the moment :)

Anyway - I hope to see you there (and totally hope I can make it interesting and fun :) )

motoko


Martin Thompson

I'd have loved to tune in but i noticed i missed this message (im not on the forums as much as i used to). If you do this again some time id love to hear your take on mapping!


Klaw

Quote from: Martin Thompson on July 29, 2017, 03:57:33 AM
I'd have loved to tune in but i noticed i missed this message (im not on the forums as much as i used to). If you do this again some time id love to hear your take on mapping!

Certainly!

This week, we built a box, textured it and got some basics on how to use the interface of Netradiant.

Next week, we're going to build another room, take on doors, and maybe a couple other basic entities :)

Telex Ferra

This sounds amazing. :D* Will these sessions be recorded?





Klaw

Quote from: Telex Ferra on July 30, 2017, 12:05:05 PM
This sounds amazing. :D* Will these sessions be recorded?

if I can remember to hit the record button, yes

if I can't then I'll sit down first chance I get, and re-record (Which is what's going to happen for this past Friday)

Klaw

Lesson 2 should kick off tomorrow

I'm taking tomorrow off work, so I *may* have the time to re-record lesson 1, but even if I don't, this week will build from last week, while at the same time serve as a recap. so the only thing we'll really miss from last week is the setup of radiant (But the first post here has that already...)

Klaw

I added a link to Will and Ant's source files.

Some of you may be familiar with the first map I ever released, Iwo-Jima. This was a re-hash of Will and Ant's STRP_Defiant. I used their source files (with their permission) to release that map - but I also went on to learn a TON by reverse engineering what they had done. So, it may be worth looking at their maps in editor (may do that a bit tonight) and just seeing what we can learn from them.

Martin Thompson

That was really nice Klaw. Sorry if i cant keep my mouth shut haha im just really enthousiastic to see you pick this up and going with it. It makes me want to share my own knowledge aswell haha


Klaw

Quote from: Martin Thompson on August 04, 2017, 05:47:16 PM
That was really nice Klaw. Sorry if i cant keep my mouth shut haha im just really enthousiastic to see you pick this up and going with it. It makes me want to share my own knowledge aswell haha


Please do!

The whole purpose of this is to learn, so if I can teach you - Great, and if you can teach me - Even better!

Klaw

Uploading this week's video to twitch right now (for anyone who may have missed it)

I think I may have covered things well enough to ignore week one :P, but if you have a question about mapping in general - Let me know!

TJFGuitarman

Net radiant? not heard of that one. I have a lot of experience with uberradiant for stef2.  I could never get gtk radiant working.