News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

How do I become a server admin?

Started by Jmusial, October 24, 2011, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopinky

I want to be a server admin sometime in the future, and I'd just like to know when admin powers are granted. thanks in advance.

Jenson

#1
Server Admin powers are granted to all members of the council. Outside the council, there are usually 1-2 others who are given admin powers, depending on the need. Currently, the only non-council admin we have is Central Plexus, which brings our total number of admins to six. Currently, we have no need for a 7th admin.

When there is an opening in future, we look through all of the applications that have been sent in by members to become a server admin (you can find the application form here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=145&p=768#p768 , but note that it is required you be at least ranked chief to apply). We look through the applications and consider 1. How active the person is on the server, 2. What timezone that person is in and what timezones we need covered, 3. What has the behavior of that person been like, 4. Can we trust them to make split second decisions in enforcing rules and taking appropriate actions, 5. What skills does this person bring to the table that would make them do this job well.


Paenitet

#2
However, if you want to have some admin fun like I do, you can create your own server and become admin ank. It's quite a bit of fun. :P

nopinky

#3
I know. I do that a lot. SO. MUCH. FUNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Jenson

#4
I'd emphasize that being an admin on server with a large number of people isn't really that fun--on the contrary, it can be quite stressful. If you want to apply for a server admin position here, you should be aware of that. You'll have to deal with a lot of issues while you're also trying to RP, and you may have to call out members when they break the rules, which can sometimes result in people getting mad/frustrated with you.


Griffwald

#5
If I may chime in, I am quite new to RPG-X and joined TLO for STO. Now that I'm on the Council and am a Server Admin, I've had to become used to some new controls. I still don't know a lot. It's not the easiest thing to just start up.

Grizz

#6
I think six words can describe becoming a server administrator.

With great power, comes great responsibility.

Dendo

#7
Indeed it is Grizz

Telex Ferra

#8
Quote from: "Grizz"I think six words can describe becoming a server administrator.

With great power, comes great responsibility.

You mean

With great power, comes  only great responsibility





Dendo

#9
QuoteYou mean With great power, comes only great responsibility

Then 7 Words . Also Indeed Telex

Paenitet

#10
Being a server admin is like being Spider-Man!? O.0

Andromeda

#11
If you think being an Admin is fun yeah thing again. Telex and Grizz are correct being an Admin will bring you only responsibility. I used to admin for Banting here and when it was at ST-O-RP. I also was an Admin for Star Trek: Voyager-A.
It is not "fun" as you would put it. Its a job you take seriously. If you want Admin for fun I suggest you either go else where like a frag server or start your own game and screw around.

Admin will never be given to those who would abuse the power for fun.

Paenitet

#12
You know, you guys really ought to take a joke now and again....

I know all that. But what's wrong with having fun with it? It's not hurting anyone. Apart from when your pretending to be Q and fly around killing everyone.

Jenson

#13
Quote from: "pupbenny"You know, you guys really ought to take a joke now and again....

I know all that. But what's wrong with having fun with it? It's not hurting anyone. Apart from when your pretending to be Q and fly around killing everyone.

We just want to make it clear that being an admin on a TLO server is different from having fun on your own local server. It's a lot of responsibility.


Andromeda

#14
That and because responsibility is not something to joke about.