News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

SRP Update - More Trouble in Tyrella Town (19/09/13)

Started by Grizz, September 19, 2013, 05:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

Hello again, everyone.

While away, I have received messages asking how Griffiths' resignation from TLO will affect Star Trek: Asteroid Field. Although I will be home tomorrow, with Martin posing a similar question in the minisode thread, I feel that it's time I should respond. There are two halves to how this situation affects the SRP. Griffiths' work behind-the-scenes and his position as Mark Chaplain.

Mark Chaplain

In both Accobar-based SRPs, the position of XO has been one constantly in flux. Asteroid Base went through a few. Walter Peirce (turned villain when Klaw could no longer commit), Adria Thomas (departed the station when Jantrix vanished off the face of the Earth), Matthew West (temporary assignment during the Illuminati arc) & Abigail Watson (killed during the Athena's destruction).

So although it may seem that I have something against my second-in-commands, I only played a part in Watson's demise - and that happened in Asteroid Field, in the character's only appearance.  Chaplain has been the most consistent fixture in the position and I'm at something of a loss about what to do with it. I know how Chaplain will leave the series - but not who will be replacing him. With Griffiths filling that position, we had the opportunity to build Pioneer from the start - in and out of character. That is not something I can easily replace. Even if it were, I'm not falling over new arrivals and I don't want to lose any of your characters in their current positions.

For the second half of the season, Michael Barnes will be taking on Chaplain's duties. So I'll be looking for your cooperation and focus, SFC  ;)

Griffiths

Traditionally, for Asteroid Field. my episodes have focused on the story arc of the day, while Griffiths delved in to character stories. I will not be opening up a writer position for the second half of the season - and instead using it to rework what I already had planned. As it stands, I do not know what Griffiths had for part two - as from what I can tell, his schedule did not allow for much planning in advance - so I have a blank canvas to work with. Do not worry about the lighter side of the series and the character-development material. Most of my time developing Serial Roleplays has been solo and I will be ensuring that a well-rounded experience is delivered going forward.

Without Griffiths' encouragement, support and finely crafted episodes, Asteroid Field would never have existed or have got off the ground in the way that we set the tone in the first season. So although he may have taken the decision to leave under the pressure of a bad situation, we still owe it to him to thank him for his work.

Season Length

The second half of this season had nine episodes - to take in to account the different cut-off point for the first half. Seven episodes in, instead of eight. This would have brought the series total to 32 episodes. With Griffiths gone, I will be making some changes. The second half of the season will instead consist of another 7 episodes - bringing our total to 30.

If Season Three goes ahead, Asteroid Field will be returning to the 10-episode format. So who knows, maybe next year we'll be looking forward to 50 episodes of Asteroid Field and 150 episodes (300 hours!) in the Accobar System.

I hope to see you at the minisode in a few days - and more importantly, the mid-season finale next week. I emphasised it's importance in an earlier SRP update - but now, more than ever, I need to be able to look at Asteroid Field and know that with your support, it's in a good place. Without that support, TLO would soon have another Serial Roleplay to vote for.

Thank you, everybody.

Grizz

Mutatio Nomen

Quote from: Grizz on September 19, 2013, 05:53:46 AM
Without that support, TLO would soon have another Serial Roleplay to vote for.
Good luck.

Martin Thompson

Thanks for the update Grizz.

It is indeed sad to see Griff go, you already said that without him AF wouldn't be where it stands today. This is something we owe to Griff and I thank him for that.
Even though it puts more weight on your shoulders for AF I never doubted your ability to handle it. I for one will be looking forward to the continuation of the show and will continue to support it for as long as it runs!


Lucas Picard

I agree to Martin's comment about Griffiths unexpected retirement from TLO and placing a ton of weight on your shoulders Grizz to carry on AF all by yourself which I find it unfair really but unless you have a backup plan to find a temp replacement with any of TLO members. I mean don't get me wrong Griffiths has done really well to make AF what it is today for TLO and of course you as well Grizz :) and also I can say to what other members on TLO and agree with when I say it "I don't won't AF to fall all because of Griffiths short notice to leave TLO" but I hope you can pull this off Grizz don't let the legacy die don't let AF die.


Kurt Fraser

Hey as you guys are on here can you check the crew application zone please