News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

RESOLVED: RPG-X Some maps don't load.

Started by dan1702, June 05, 2014, 07:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan1702

So i downloaded the version of RPG-X from this site, which is superb by the way, seems more stable than what I was using. The only problem is that some maps will not load when they used to. For example, I load up Solaris and the loading bubble "requesting access information" will just sit there for a bit.. unfilled and lonely, then I'm plopped right back to the menu. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Many thanks.

Edit:
Resolution: Hunkmeg allocation

Veritas

Are you loading these maps locally?

A lot of maps don't load locally well. It's been an issue for quite a while.

dan1702

Hmm, probably should have tried, but I thought I already had.  Fired up a LAN server and it worked fine. Thank you.

dan1702

Update* Tried with some more maps, same issue.

Serris

After it fails to load the map, try opening your console with the ` key, then scroll up until you find a section that's surrounded asterisks. There should be an error code.

dan1702

there was no asterisked section, though there was a bit in red saying it couldn't load <mapname>.aas.  Then a ways down it listed server crash due to a hunk error.

Serris

That means that your client doesn't have enough memory allocated to load the map. Go into your game install's BaseEF folder and look for a file called autoexec.cfg. At the very top, there should be a line that says "com_hunkMegs 512". Can you verify that for me?

dan1702

Yes indeed.
Also, what of some maps that are in the base EF folder, but not showing on the ingame selection?

Telex Ferra

Not every map is configured to show up on that map list. That list is pretty much never used and most of us memorize the names of all the important maps just by using them so much.

Serris already told you this but maybe it's worth checking out again: http://www.last-outpost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5446.0.html

Do you have any issue loading these maps on the TLO server? (Connect and type into the console: /callvote <mapname>)





dan1702

okay. that makes sense, and the error was "Hunk_Allocate TempMemory: 2097160"
Do i need to change the value of com_hunkMegs "512"?
and yes, the error persists while changing maps ingame.

Telex Ferra

How much RAM do you have?

When you type /com_hunkmegs does it say 512?





dan1702

I have 4 gigs
it says 'is:"47" default: "64"'
I do appreciate this.

Telex Ferra

Oh boy, that's low. (The ingame setting not your RAM  8P)

Open the game again, type

/seta com_hunkmegs 128

then press exit (do not use the /quit command)

restart the game and type com_hunkmegs and confirm that it is set to 128. If it is, try loading the maps again on the server.

Also, don't worry about it. I love to help new people get into RPG-X. Usually our programs work out of the box but sometimes they need a little coaxing.  ;)





dan1702

OH HAPPY DAY!  Thank you so much.  :)  Now I plan on exploring all these maps :D

Telex Ferra