News:

These forums are now archived - New member registrations are closed - Please join the discussion over on our Discord

Main Menu

I'd like my RPG-X to be pretty. [RESOLVED]

Started by JSpaced10, August 24, 2015, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSpaced10

Hi guys, not really a support request, as nothing's actually broken, but I notice when I run RPG-X the lighting seems really flat and lifeless, especially when compared to some screenshots and videos I've seen on here and youtube. I don't know if some maps were better at lighting than others...

Can anyone recommend some tweaks I should be making to my system, commands etc. that will improve things?

Many thanks,
J
"I was going to make you omlettes, then tell you I was dying..."

Scott Archer

Map do feature different lightings. However, it might be worth boosting your graphics settings.

If in the menu you go to configure > Video > Video data


Then you can set video options to high quality. You can also play around with the settings in that menu to see what works best graphics and performance wise.


Also type /r_gamma 1 in the console (the `/¬ button under escape and above tab) to make sure that's set to normal levels.

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk

Grizz

Might be worth throwing this command in too:

r_overbrightbits 0


JSpaced10

Thanks guys, I will give that a try and report back.
On a side note, I noticed (only because I have two screens), that RPG-X seems to ramp up the contrast/ gamma on the display anyway, turning it back down again when it shutsdown. (I noticed that icons were bright and glowy). Is this normal behaviour?

Cheers,
J
"I was going to make you omlettes, then tell you I was dying..."

Telex Ferra

Could you post a screenshot to give an idea what you mean?

If you use a program like f.lux, it will interfere with rpg-x's own lighting systems. If you're not using a program like that, you can try the r_gamma <value between 0 and 1> command to see if that makes anything better.





Scott Archer

I have noticed the same effect caused by both Elite Force (the original base game for RPG-X) and RPG-X.

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk

Serris

RPG-X is built on a 15-year-old game, so the graphics options are very limited. Settings like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering need to be forced in your graphics card control panel. For visual enhancements, you could try an injector like Reshade or ENB to add things like bloom lighting and ambient occlusion, but I'm not sure if they would work with the game's old OpenGL renderer.

Martin Thompson

QuoteOn a side note, I noticed (only because I have two screens), that RPG-X seems to ramp up the contrast/ gamma on the display anyway, turning it back down again when it shutsdown. (I noticed that icons were bright and glowy). Is this normal behaviour?

Yes. Its also doing that on my multi monitor setup. Its always been that way as far as I can remember.


JSpaced10

Just a quick note to say that all these tips and contributions really helped. Thank you, I appreciate the effort you guys took.
Elite Force is 15! Wow, I am so old. It's great that you guys keep the flag flying and it's still potentially a really fun game.
Thanks for everything.
J
"I was going to make you omlettes, then tell you I was dying..."