>

<

A vSlider Image

>

<

A vSlider Image

>

Latest Announcements

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Discussion: Forum issues [CLOSED]  (Read 1938 times)

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
  • I don't know what to put here now
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
Discussion: Forum issues [CLOSED]
« on: November 13, 2015, 09:57:51 am »

I know this is supposed to be coming up in the next cabinet meeting, but I feel this needs to be tackled sooner rather than later.

As we all know, there are a few problems with the forums, such as some not being able to post from mobile and some people having random, unwanted BBCode added into their posts.
I recently just spent about 10-15 minutes on the welcome post for midnight_L, as the Asteroid Field text needed adding back in and what should have take no longer than 5 minutes took 3 times as long as it should have done as the forums kept adding in random BBcode whenever and wherever it felt like it.

I believe the current theory is that it's something to do with the DDOS protection? Is this correct?
So my questions are:
  • Do we really need DDOS protection?
  • If the answer to 1 is yes, are there other options that won't give us the same problems (such as Cloudflare?)
  • Are there any other workarounds the problem, without removing or changing our DDOS protection

Election Watch and IA Assistant
Email: scottarcher@earthelite.co.uk

Telex Ferra

• Elder Statesperson
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion: Forum issues [CLOSED]
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 04:32:26 pm »

Could you provide an example of BBCode being added in randomly? If that's happening then we have a serious problem.

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 04:40:57 pm »

Welcome to TLO! Great to have you with us! [/size]I’m Scott Archer, the RPG-X Executive Officer.For more about RPG-X, read this post: http://www.last-outpost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6357.0.htmlYou can find a list of our current Serial Role Plays (SRPs) here: [/size]We currently have two main SRPs at the moment.:
  • The Lost Era (TLE) is set in 2310, between TOS and TNG. It’s currently in it’s second season (apply here)
  • Star Trek: Daedalus is set during the Romulan War and aboard a Daedalus Class ship. There haven’t been any episodes so far, and this is due to start soon! (apply here)
  • Asteroid Field, an SRP set after Star Trek: Nemesis and keeping the Star Trek universe alive. Asteroid Field is one of the longest running SRPs ever and also one of the best! Asteroid Field is about to enter it’s 6th season.(Apply Here)
  • [/font][/size]We currently have one mSRP:[/size]
  • Star Trek: Training Station. This is a training role play and you can gain the SRP Certification. (Which you can read about here.) You can apply for this here.
  • [/font][/size]We currently don’t have any SRP polls.[/size]Any other questions or problems then just tell me or someone with the same coloured name. Alternatively post in the engineering forum.Once again, thank you for joining The Last Outpost!

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:42:20 pm »

That's a direct copy of my post here.

There are no changes of fonts or size anywhere in the text and never have there ever been.

Telex Ferra

• Elder Statesperson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:40:11 pm »

Could I see the source you're copying this from?

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 05:43:45 pm »

That's a direct copy of my post here.

There are no changes of fonts or size anywhere in the text and never have there ever been.
My post in this thread, if you hit modify, ctrl/cmd all then that's exactly what I copied.

Martin Thompson

• Elder Statesperson
  • A new adventure always awaits
    • View Profile
    • withMartin.net
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:43:25 pm »

I've perosnally never noticed this. The mobile issue is known, the forum software is not designed to be accessed from mobile anyway. Unless we switch to another forum software which supports mobile (mobile first fluid latyout or something) there is not much we can do about it.

As for the BB issue, like i said, never personally noticed that one, I'll look into it.

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 06:57:41 pm »

Thanks Martin.
I've noticed most of the time on computers it seems to happen when copying and pasting (but not limited too), but from mobile it does it more often, so I just presumed they were linked

Martin Thompson

• Elder Statesperson
    • View Profile
    • withMartin.net
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 09:27:54 am »

Welcome to TLO! Great to have you with us!
I’m Scott Archer, the RPG-X Executive Officer.

For more about RPG-X, read this post: http://www.last-outpost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6357.0.html

You can find a list of our current Serial Role Plays (SRPs) here:

We currently have two main SRPs at the moment.:

• The Lost Era (TLE) is set in 2310, between TOS and TNG. It’s currently in it’s second season (apply here)
  • Star Trek: Daedalus is set during the Romulan War and aboard a Daedalus Class ship. There haven’t been any episodes so far, and this is due to start soon! (apply here)
  • Asteroid Field, an SRP set after Star Trek: Nemesis and keeping the Star Trek universe alive. Asteroid Field is one of the longest running SRPs ever and also one of the best! Asteroid Field is about to enter it’s 6th season.(Apply Here)
We currently have one mSRP:
  • Star Trek: Training Station. This is a training role play and you can gain the SRP Certification. (Which you can read about here.) You can apply for this here.
We currently don’t have any SRP polls.

Any other questions or problems then just tell me or someone with the same coloured name. Alternatively post in the engineering forum.

Once again, thank you for joining The Last Outpost!

Martin Thompson

• Elder Statesperson
    • View Profile
    • withMartin.net
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 09:30:26 am »

Seems to work for me, strange.

Scott, could you try to copy paste into notepad(++) and see if it still happens then? (note: not Wordpad, buit note pad or notepadd++ (i prefer the last one myself)). When looking at the post you posted above (the copied post) and click modify, there is indeed a lot of bb code extra in it. It looks as if it was copied from a rich text source in stead of from a plain text source...

Did you copy the contents directly from the post, or did you first click "modify" on your old post and copied the contents from there?

Further, I want to know if the extra bb code gets generated while copying, pasting or posting.

Could you check the following 4 for me scott:

When you paste into into notepad(++), do the bb codes get added?
When you paste into the quick post box do the bb codes get added?
When you click "reply" in a topic, then paste it into the edit box do the bb codes get added?
Do the bb codes only get added after you "post" the message?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:32:32 am by Martin Thompson »

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 11:33:30 am »

Welcome to TLO! Great to have you with us!
I’m Scott Archer, the RPG-X Executive Officer.

For more about RPG-X, read this post: http://www.last-outpost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6357.0.html

You can find a list of our current Serial Role Plays (SRPs) here:

We currently have two main SRPs at the moment.:

The Lost Era (TLE) is set in 2310, between TOS and TNG. It’s currently in it’s second season (apply here)
Star Trek: Daedalus is set during the Romulan War and aboard a Daedalus Class ship. There haven’t been any episodes so far, and this is due to start soon! (apply here)
Asteroid Field, an SRP set after Star Trek: Nemesis and keeping the Star Trek universe alive. Asteroid Field is one of the longest running SRPs ever and also one of the best! Asteroid Field is about to enter it’s 6th season.(Apply Here)
We currently have one mSRP:
Star Trek: Training Station. This is a training role play and you can gain the SRP Certification. (Which you can read about here.) You can apply for this here.
We currently don’t have any SRP polls.

Any other questions or problems then just tell me or someone with the same coloured name. Alternatively post in the engineering forum.

Once again, thank you for joining The Last Outpost!

Grizz

• Head of Media & Marketing
  • Sorting out fair play throughout the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 11:38:59 am »

I have to say that the occasional very lengthy waiting period to preview or post a message is becoming tiresome.

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 11:43:56 am »

Did you copy the contents directly from the post, or did you click modify on your old post and copied the contents from there
[/quote/
I hit modify and copied the contents from there.

No. [/size]

No[/size]

[/size]
[/size]
When you click "reply" in a topic, then paste it into the edit box do the bb codes get added?
Yes[/size]

[/size]
[/size]
No, if you use the preview function then they show up, however they don't show up in the source text and can't be edited out, meaning you have to post before you can edit them out.
Example.

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 11:46:15 am »

*Cries*
It doesn't just do it when copy and pasting... I quoted your message there Martin...
I'll get the format sorted in a new post...

Scott Archer

• RPG-X Community Leader
    • View Profile
    • Quoole Media
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 11:48:34 am »

Did you copy the contents directly from the post, or did you click modify on your old post and copied the contents from there

I hit modify and copied the contents from there.

No.

No

Yes

No, if you use the preview function then they show up, however they don't show up in the source text and can't be edited out, meaning you have to post before you can edit them out.
Example.

Pages: [1] 2